Thread: Wards Auto article: Mitsubishi to Hit 100,000 U.S. Sales in 2016

Wards Auto article: Mitsubishi to Hit 100,000 U.S. Sales in 2016

Interesting article if you're curious about the general state of the company and its plans in the States.

There's nothing new about the Mirage, other than it is credited with helping turn the company around in 2014/2015:

Mitsubishi’s U.S. sales chief credits the brand’s refocusing on CUVs for its 2015 success, as well as strong deliveries of its Mirage B-car.
    And of course it mentions the upcoming Mirage G4 sedan, which will add "incremental sales."

I liked this line:

Mitsubishi’s recent revitalization in the U.S. market means ... marketing funds are easier to come by.
    It'll be nice if we see the Mirage getting more promotion.

Full article: http://wardsauto.com/industry/mitsub...000-sales-2016

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

And the above Wards article was used by Green Car Reports to generate this article:

Mitsubishi Mirage: The Unexpected Small-Car Success

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It really is pretty great how the Mirage has been selling roughly double what Mitsu anticipated. I can only imagine that that is why we're getting the mid model updated 2017 model. Why dump money into something that isn't performing? But, when it is outperforming what you expect, we end up getting more goodies like enhanced aero and roller cams.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The more I think about it - is this going to be temporary?

They didn't have much of a linup as it is. Lancer, Lancer Evolution, Outlander, Outlander Sport and Mirage ... The two Lancers and Outlander Sport have been discontinued.

They need to have more than two models here.

Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    The two Lancers and Outlander Sport have been discontinued.
    Outlander Sport? Where are you getting that from?

They've stopped U.S. production of that model, but it'll still be sold.

Also re: the Lancer, from the article in question:

Swearingen told WardsAuto in June that it also was starting development on a next-gen Lancer

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't realize they were going to continue making it. I thought once they stopped US production that was going to be the end for the model.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    All US market Lancers are made in Japan now. The chassis is VERY long-in-the-tooth...it's been around since '08...but I think the refreshed '16 model looks very good.

I am considering going after a white 5-speed Lancer GT when the Mirage is paid off later this year. SERIOUSLY considering... It is sufficiently "Evo-ey" looking, but doesn't cost $40,000.

Name:  diamond-white-d.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  42.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    I didn't realize they were going to continue making it. I thought once they stopped US production that was going to be the end for the model.
    Considering it's their best-selling model in the U.S., they wouldn't dare.

Other production facilities for that model:

Japan: Okazaki, Aichi (Nagoya Plant)
    Brazil: Catalão
    China: Fuzhou, Fujian
    Indonesia: Pulo Gadung, Jakarta
    Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur (TCMA)

Source, wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...0.93present.29

Cobra: In Canada, the Lancer is actually still out-selling the Mirage! (Not so in the States as of this year.)

Mirage sales Lancer sales
    Canada 2015 3361 6008
    Canada 2014 4048 6623
    USA 2015 21515 17691
    USA 2014 16708 16945