Thread: Horn Problem (strong when car on; weak when car off) SOLVED!

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Horn Problem (strong when car on; weak when car off) SOLVED!

i have this weird issue. firstly, for about a year, I installed a set of Bosch EC6 horns by myself. I made my own connectors and it worked normally and didn't have any faults. except that it's quite unsafe that I just crimped a hot wire to the other horn coz I didn't want to splice the stock connector.

So I just had my horns rewired by adding a relay and proper wire gauges and encountered this issue. When the car is off, it'll only produce a weak sound but when the car is on, it'll work normally.

What could be causing this?

LINK TO VIDEO
    https://www.facebook.com/gunlak/vide...1/?pnref=story

Name:  horn.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  64.7 KB
    Name:  horn 2.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  72.8 KB

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    can't get it off my head. even if it's almost midnight here. discovered that it's just bad grounding from the horns. coz the mounting point wasn't sanded down to bare metal. will do that in the morning.

Name:  ground.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  49.9 KB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gunlak For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-21-2016)

So that solved it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So that solved it?
    yes. just a bad ground. i tried hanging a ground wire on the horn from one of the mounting points of my grounding kit as seen on the pic. it won't be permanent. just did that to try if it's the root of my problem. and it was.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gunlak For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-21-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Glad to hear you got it fixed.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    One more thing, is it normal that the horn doesn't produce 100% power when the car is off? I already fixed the grounds by scuffing the paint to bare metal around the mounting points and also added a ground wire there. Both horns now toot but it only sounds about 80% when the car is off.. when it's on, no problem. I also tried just wiring 1 horn, it blares 100% when car is off.

Does it matter if the fuse on the relay is just 10A? (a big red fuse) I read somewhere the Bosch EC6 runs at 16A.. before I ran a 15A fuse on the stock fuse box and it worked as it should.

===============

nevermind all of this. I just removed the f'in relay. it's just giving me headaches and running without one didn't pose a problem for almost a year I jerry rigged it. atleast now it has proper gauge wires and connectors.
    Last edited by gunlak; 01-22-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It is normal that the horn would be a bit quieter with the engine off. With the engine off the battery is supplying ~12.7V or less. With the engine on, the alternator kicks the voltage up to 13.5-14.5V to charge the battery so you do get more power.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-23-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    It is normal that the horn would be a bit quieter with the engine off. With the engine off the battery is supplying ~12.7V or less. With the engine on, the alternator kicks the voltage up to 13.5-14.5V to charge the battery so you do get more power.
    yeah that's exactly my first assumption. but ever since the installation of the relay, its like the horn has to take time to charge up before reaching 100% power.