Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Suggested oil and other fluids for the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have heard great things about the non-water based coolants. I hear they last forever.

I am the same way with oil but within reason. It would be great to use an oil that never breaks down but if the oil is contaminated long before it breaks down, then that isn't a concern.

I run a full synthetic on my Geos but also figure they will need to be changed long before the spec on the oil because the engines are more worn.

I might just do an oil analysis one of these days but have more or less settled on 5,000 mile changes as of now.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    From the studies/test I've read, it seemed like Royal Purple oil filters have the best filtration; that's what I use.

Oil is oil, as long as it's the correct weight, full-synthetic the manual calls for; I use Royal Purple.
    10k mile changes.

GL4 MT fluid compatible with your synchronizers, at the recommended weight.
    Last edited by Dung Beetle; 02-06-2016 at 04:40 PM.
    ivan

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    l run a full synthetic on my Geos but also figure they will need to be changed long before the spec on the oil because the engines are more worn.

I might just do an oil analysis one of these days but have more or less settled on 5,000 mile changes as of now.

Conor
    Not sure it is justified. We ran 10k change intervals on '96 1.5L Mazda, which had similar gearing 3000 RPM at 60 MPH, and had no issues. Engine had gone over 400k without rebuild.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

jbarr (02-09-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You are probably correct on a new and tight engine. One of my Geos uses a little oil and I am sure there is some blowby as the oil gets dirtier a little quicker. Basically exhaust is getting into the oil. Some new cars with tight engines don't even look dirty when changed at 5000 miles.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    I actually want to try water-less coolant. They seem to get astonishing reviews on how well it works, and since there is no water there is zero pressure like with water based coolants. You can pop the cap whenever you want. It still flows through the motor and does what it does.

As far as oils go, I like peace of mind. I also drive a manual (never auto in any way for me) so I will use whatever brand full synthetic with the proper specs (gl4?) for trans and amsoil for oil as i always do.

Waterless coolants have a much lower specific heat capacity and are thus less able to remove heat. It would be like using 70-80 percent coolant as opposed to a 50/50 mix in terms of cooling ability. On EVAN's Waterless Coolant website they even say the coolant will run slightly hotter. Its almost certainly not a significant issue, but the car was not designed for it. With long life coolants lasting 100K, there is no real reason to use it. Modern Japanese cars simply do not have issues with overheating, corrosion, boil over, water pump cavitation, etc etc so the need for an advanced waterless coolant is negated. Waterless coolants are for much older cars with poorly designed corrosion and failure prone cooling systems, and some extremely higher end, ultra high horsepower cars. But to be honest I have thought about using it myself just for fun.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/2930974/2

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (02-07-2016),Eggman (02-07-2016),jbarr (02-09-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Waterless coolants have a much lower specific heat capacity and are thus less able to remove heat.
    Thanks for this thoughtful post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Waterless coolants have a much lower specific heat capacity and are thus less able to remove heat. It would be like using 70-80 percent coolant as opposed to a 50/50 mix in terms of cooling ability. On EVAN's Waterless Coolant website they even say the coolant will run slightly hotter. Its almost certainly not a significant issue, but the car was not designed for it. With long life coolants lasting 100K, there is no real reason to use it. Modern Japanese cars simply do not have issues with overheating, corrosion, boil over, water pump cavitation, etc etc so the need for an advanced waterless coolant is negated. Waterless coolants are for much older cars with poorly designed corrosion and failure prone cooling systems, and some extremely higher end, ultra high horsepower cars. But to be honest I have thought about using it myself just for fun.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/2930974/2
    Although the water-less coolant "runs hotter", that is because its actually pulling the heat away from the motor better than your normal 50/50 mix. The coolant itself is hotter, yes, because its actually ABSORBING the heat away from the metal. I've seen people complain that the Evans coolant didn't help, and their issue got worse. The problem wasn't their old 50/50 mix nor the Evans, but something else. I even saw one guy with an old mini complain about overheating no matter what he used. Well the problem with older mini's were the fan that was attached to the stupid crank. If the motor spun at low rpm, like at idle, the fan was barely moving, and thus the engine overheats. This issue in old mini's is solved by buying an electric fan, and setting it up to kick on at X temperature instead of being rpm based. So the coolant wasn't the issue in that situation. The whole point of Evans coolant is to stop certain aspects of crappy water based coolants from happening. For example, in the FAQ link I posted below, it states that after a motor shuts off, its still hot, the coolant no longer flows, thus the hot engine will continue to transfer heat into the 50/50 coolant. Doing so, may cause the 50/50 coolant, more specifically the water portion, to become vapor from passing its boiling point. The cap may or may not blow, thus you now have a hot pocket and the metal is stuck being overheated. The other point of Evans is to stop rapid heating and rapid cooling, as it is rapid cooling isn't an issue, but rapid heating is. They explain it in the faq, if the car hits boiling point, the water in the 50/50 become vapor, and thus no longer transfers the heat from the motor, you get a hot spot, and the motor at that spot gets "flash heating" thus causing issues (like warped heads!).

Not to be a celebrity fan girl, Jay Leno uses the water-less coolant in MOST of his vehicles, and that dude is a classic car nut (hell, he has new cars too!). He even sponsored them on his show to help get sales. I hate to say it, but if he uses it, shouldn't we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PykrgzWPQ

http://www.evanscoolants.com/evans_w...ants_faqs.html

I'll end up trying it, I haven't decided which car to start with, my 05 sti or my 15 mirage....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    namco, good luck and let us know how that works for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)