Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you think Mirage will sell as much as Versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I read Mits makes small car for Nissan. What do they make? Notes?
    Nah - the Note, Micra and Versa sedan for North American consumption are all made in the same Mexican factory. Same platform, same drivetrain, many shared interior pieces.

Mitsu makes (or made) a Kei car for the Japan market, rebadged as the Nissan Dayz Roox:

Name:  87235_mdl_846d51a1.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  44.2 KB

That's the car that triggered the Mitsubishi fuel economy scandal in Japan that walloped Mitsu's share price and made it possible for Nissan to swoop in and buy a controlling stake in the company.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-13-2018)

Versa's rental fleet reckoning = Mirage plan?

Nissan has apparently decided they're serious about focusing on "quality" sales (ie. cut back on fleet business).

They put that plan in motion in April, and overall Nissan sales plummeted 28 freakin percent compared to April last year.

Versa sales: 5998 last month. You have to go all the way back to 2011 to find another month with sales under the 6k level. Many months, 8-10k is normal.

I wonder if the plan is to have the Mirage & G4 take up the rental fleet slack.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

oof

Versa sales in the U.S. have collapsed:

3,145 in Aug
    3,782 in Sept

Three years ago, it was 15k & 18k for the same months.

You have to go back ~10 years to find numbers that low (when the car was new on the market, just being introduced).

It used to be the best selling subcompact car in the U.S.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-10-2018),fc321 (10-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've noticed that the local chain of no-haggle stores has jacked up prices on the Versa and Versa Note substantially--as in, several thousand dollars--over the past couple years. As an example, a leftover 2018 Versa Note S (bottom trim level) is currently $15,888, which is less than $1000 under MSRP! It's a curious sales strategy, and I'm not surprised that sales have tanked, especially considering that there hasn't been a redesign since 2012/13. Nissans are simply not good enough to command that sort of price.

FWIW, I've also noticed that the same chain has priced 2018 Mirages at least $1000 higher than 2017s were priced at the same time last year. Also, they just got in a handful of Mirages and G4s (2018s) after having none for many months. Again, a curious sales strategy.
    Last edited by mainertodd; 10-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mainertodd For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-12-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    especially considering that there hasn't been a redesign since 2012/13. Nissans are simply not good enough to command that sort of price.
    Of all things, my new neighbour she picked up a brand new Nissan Versa or Versa note, dark blue, only a few weeks ago. Meaning my 2014 Mirage is parked near the Nissan Versa all the time now.

Comparison wise, the Versa looks bigger than my Mirage. The tint on the windows isn't as dark, and I would say also the aero on the doors on the Nissan look more modern.

Not sure its a Versa or a Note.. so yes also her new hatchback looks like a 2013 release. Yet it's a sharp car, longer and less cutesy than my Mitsu
    Last edited by dspace9; 10-12-2018 at 12:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

^ You can only get a new "Versa Note" (the hatchback) in Canada. They dropped the Versa sedan around the same time they put the Micra in the Canadian line up.

And you're not mistaken: there's a TON of rear legroom in the back of the Note.

Versa Note S (bottom trim level) is currently $15,888
    That's nuts!

I think the biggest reason sales have tanked has to do with cutting back fleet sales. It may also explain why Chevy Spark sales have taken off this year.