Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage G4 sedan debut: reactions from the blogosphere (TTAC, C&D, AB, Jalopnik etc.)

Mirage G4 sedan debut: reactions from the blogosphere (TTAC, C&D, AB, Jalopnik etc.)

Just in case it's been so long that we've forgotten, The Truth About Cars reminds us of the level of snark & hostility we can expect from the U.S. media about the coming Mirage sedan.

(The Mitsu Canada photo was released to tease the sedan's debut at the Toronto Auto Show in 2 weeks.)

The TTAC article itself is only mildly snarky. But the comments are gleefully hostile:

Wait… Mitsubishi still sells cars? In the US?

a depressing b-class sedan that is also the freshest thing in their stale, withering North American lineup.

To those with poor credit: the line forms to the rear, thank you!

Hey, look it here, now we know what Toyota did with the discontinued Echo assembly equipment, a spitting image. Should call it Mitsubishi Throwback.
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/01/mitsubishi-mirage-sedang4attrage-coming-canada/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It’s clearly the small sedan
    Do they have something to compensate for? or they use x-ray vision to see the rest of the car (not in the pic)?

That aside from what we have heard for australian owner it is roomier than hatch, so it will compete nicely against Versa, if they don't jack the price.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 01-27-2016 at 04:57 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "The Truth About Cars"..................... Last place I would go to learn the Truth about anything!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flotownj For This Useful Post:

BRagland (01-28-2016),davidricardo86 (01-29-2016),inuvik (01-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Bunch of self-satisfied, quasi-enthusiast schmucks over there. Most know very little about cars. The Mitsubishi-only-sells-to-people-with-bad-credit thing has been done to death, and it isn't even true.

When I bought my Mirage, I had mediocre credit. Mitsubishi wouldn't finance me. When my girlfriend bought hers, she had great credit. Mitsubishi wouldn't finance her EITHER.

The automotive intelligentsia can't understand why this car is selling despite the fact they have been mocking it for three years, so they all assume it must be because Mitsubishi is mindlessly throwing loans and keys at people.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (01-29-2016),MetroMPG (01-28-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The automotive intelligentsia can't understand why this car is selling despite the fact they have been mocking it for three years, so they all assume it must be because Mitsubishi is mindlessly throwing loans and keys at people.
    That part I understand, after being dragged into BEV discussions on more than one occasion. In a case with BEVs from my point of view car, motorcycle or vehicle in general is something you can get in/on and ride into sunset. Something like Nissan Leaf with 70mi range (my daily commute is over 100mi) which would be next to impossible to drive across the country does not qualify as a "car" on my books.

Likely they have a similar perception of what car is and isn't, and thus something like Mirage does not fit into it? The sticking point is likely the 3cyl (it is a motorcycle?) and the price point car is build to. I don't think any of other car they reviewed is less than 20k, at least recently.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    That part I understand, after being dragged into BEV discussions on more than one occasion. In a case with BEVs from my point of view car, motorcycle or vehicle in general is something you can get in/on and ride into sunset. Something like Nissan Leaf with 70mi range (my daily commute is over 100mi) which would be next to impossible to drive across the country does not qualify as a "car" on my books.

Likely they have a similar perception of what car is and isn't, and thus something like Mirage does not fit into it? The sticking point is likely the 3cyl (it is a motorcycle?) and the price point car is build to. I don't think any of other car they reviewed is less than 20k, at least recently.
    Yep. If it's not a 2900 pound, 29 mpg behemoth with a Toyota logo on it's gaping, bass-like black maw...like the new Corolla...it isn't worth buying as far as they are concerned.

What a joke. Why are car guys so in love with these big, porky Civics and Corollas??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its simple. Civics and Corollas almost always sell in big numbers! Automotive journalist are scared to go out on a leg and say some little cheap car like the Mirage is a good buy! This is their careers! So when they are making an article cheap = bad, big number sellers = good. It keeps them from becoming the Donald Trump of the journalist world by staying inline with the norm!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    Its simple. Civics and Corollas almost always sell in big numbers! Automotive journalist are scared to go out on a leg and say some little cheap car like the Mirage is a good buy! This is their careers! So when they are making an article cheap = bad, big number sellers = good. It keeps them from becoming the Donald Trump of the journalist world by staying inline with the norm!
    Go read the FAWNING LOVE LETTER one of those guys wrote to the huge, hideous new 2016 Civic. It's hilarious!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...omment-7236281

Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    This is their careers! So when they are making an article cheap = bad, big number sellers = good.
    And yet the best-selling U.S. subcompact car is consistently the cheapest-car-in-America Nissan Versa (mostly sedan), which none of them love in their reviews .

*I* love that car specifically because it proves how out of touch auto reviewers are with what real people want at the entry level.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yea that is true Cobrajet they have been bashing on the Civic a little lately especially when that new design came out a few years ago that Honda had to change after the first year!