Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Adding Sound Dampening (DIY instructions, with photos)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Here it is, courtesy of Inuvik:

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Remove the fuse for the power windows, then install the fuse back into the fuse block and follow these instructions:

LEARNING PROCEDURES OF POWER WINDOWFULLY CLOSED POSITION <Vehicles with safety

system (driver’s side door)>

M1429004600531

LEARNING PROCEDURES OF FULLY CLOSEDPOSITION WHEN POWER WINDOW SWITCH ISREMOVED, OR POWER WINDOW REGULATORASSEMBLY IS REMOVED OR REPLACED

1. If the battery terminals are disconnected or the fuse forpower window is removed, the fully closed position that thepower window switch has learned will be erased (initialized).
    2. Operate the power window switch and fully open the doorwindow glass.
      CAUTION

The anti-trap function will not activated until the learningprocedures of the fully closed position have been com-pleted (because the anti-trap function was reset).
    3. Operate the power window switch and fully close the door
    window glass. Release the power window switch once.Then, hold the power window switch to the fully closed sideagain for 1 second so that the power window switchcompletes learning the fully closed position.
    Click on the blue box with the little white pointers for the original post.

Hope this helps!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

honegod (04-04-2020),Jin (07-03-2016)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Thanks Eggman

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Here it is, courtesy of Inuvik:

Click on the blue box with the little white pointers for the original post.

Hope this helps!
    Damn Eggman, appreciate it, but I didnt end up needing to go to that. What i did was i took it apart from the connector and reassembled it. it started working again... fingers crossed.

Completed the sound deadening, went through 2 boxes of dynamat 10455, (18sheets)..( i think i got an extra sheet in 1 box)... leftover with 2 and a half sheets.

Double layered the front footwells, and single layered the backpassenger floor panels, and rear wheel hubs. All doors had single layer in inner of the outer door. nothing in the boot where the spare is yet. Ill finalize it later.

Will go for a test drive soon!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-03-2016)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    well, took it for a drive, sound is noticeably less, between 30-50%. As per BRagland, high rev sound from engine still transfer to cabin, but at a lower noise level. My ears appreciate the silence now, its deafening .
    May look further into the Dynamat Hoodliner. read somewhere to test with a blanket over the hoot to see if the noise from the engine is less, bit hard on the go... hehe.

Compared to BRaglands install/guide my aussie mirage had slightly different locations of the plastic tabs to be removed.
    The tabs mentioned which were difficult to remove without breaking - I managed to remove without issue. Technique used here was that I reached behind this panel on the centre console and pulled outwards on the panel from the edges itself instead of the plastic tab. It popped out readily.

Notable annoyance was the under front seat wire connection, (not the airbag one.) The release was facing towards the underside of the seat rather than towards the bottom of the car.
    Tip here when you get to this point: adjust the seat back into the open position as if you were going to lie down on it. then the headrest supports the chair and you have an easier time unhooking everything from underneath.

@BRagland : Kudos for mentioning not needing to remove backseat backsupport. (Did take me a while to work the panels off around it... when i went to put it back after installation, I installed an extra long and bright LED bulb I had spares for my courtesy lights - otherwise impossible to install via the regular lamp cover removal. I've always found the boot to be too dim) & also Kudos for mentioning the breaker bar.(had to go out especially to get one after I failed to get it off with my usual tools)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    QUOTE:
    The interesting part, is that the sound dampening is amazing at slower speeds. Extremely quiet. However, it became much less effective at higher speeds.

Please note:
    The sound dampening is much more effective at high speeds, if you don't forget to do the roof!

For the details, see the thread

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...bitumen-tiles)
    Last edited by foama; 04-04-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    why does the dynamat instruction say to apply it on the metal surface where the plastic film is, whilst others including OP have opted for inside of the outer door?
    inside of the outer door is where you put the extra once you get the metal surface where the plastic film is all filled up.
    it helps damp the door for using it as a sealed box for the front 6 1/2.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by honegod View Post
    inside of the outer door is where you put the extra once you get the metal surface where the plastic film is all filled up.
    it helps damp the door for using it as a sealed box for the front 6 1/2.
    Hello honegod and welcome to the forum. Make an introductory post and tell us how you got here, and about your Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)