Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Mirage is a "buy with your head, not with your heart" type of car. Too bad.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    She actually went with the Sapphire Blue color. She test drove the white 5 speed as that was all they had but they got a blue delivered in a couple days.

So far we like it. I am about average height or a little taller and she is short so the small car really appealed to her. I really like the car so far and would like to pick up a 2017 model for myself. I like the red color personally. I will probably move one of the Geo Metros along but keep one as they are good little cars too and would hate to get rid of both.

Conor

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    On the other hand, I can only think of one person who bought a Mirage strictly for reasons of the heart -- she saw the plasma purple (pink!) and said, "I must buy that car!"
    Oh, my Mirage purchase was definitely a heart purchase!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a very sensible guy and the Mirage is a very sensible car. But a sensible Filipino would buy a Toyota Vios (Yaris Sedan) or Honda City (sedan version of the Fit, not available in America I believe).

I grew up being driven around in a '92 Daihatsu Charade, and this car just brings such fond and familiar memories. The 3-cylinder engine is music to my ears. The engine just sings as you accelerate through the gears from a stop. It's so maneuverable. Those sensible huge mirrors look cute and goofy. Heck I even adore the "tick-tick-tick" sound of the turn signals (Ford turn signal ticks are the worst, on the other hand). And when I saw the green color, I thought, "okay, I'm getting this color!" Every kid below age 10 knows me as "the guy with the green car".

I love my car. It brings me such joy! Joy joy joy joy joy!!!

*goes to the parking lot and drives off joyfully into the sunset (it's 5:58PM here, so yeah)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    On the other hand, I can only think of one person who bought a Mirage strictly for reasons of the heart -- she saw the plasma purple (pink!) and said, "I must buy that car!"
    I think for many ex-Metro owners it was a heart buy too. I mean this what Metro should have been, right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, I am a Metro guy and definitely like these little cars. I hope to get one for the 2017 model. My GF just got one and used to have a Festiva so it was a heart purchase for her too.

Conor

Thanks
    62.4 mpg today going to breakfast and back, with very little (30 mins) block heater. It's going to be fun when it warms up.

Used 21 gallons in 30 days, around 1160 miles, $0.0252 a mile.

regards
    mech
    Last edited by deleted user; 02-08-2016 at 05:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    62.4 mpg today going to breakfast and back, with very little (30 mins) block heater. It's going to be fun when it warms up.

Used 21 gallons in 30 days, around 1160 miles, $0.0252 a mile.

regards
    mech
    Wow that's very impressive! Those MPGs are a force to be reckoned with. I cannot wait to buy my Mirage someday. It'll be a tough choice between the hatchback or sedan as both have their pros and cons.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    Wow that's very impressive! Those MPGs are a force to be reckoned with. I cannot wait to buy my Mirage someday. It'll be a tough choice between the hatchback or sedan as both have their pros and cons.
    Old mech is a serious hypermiller and he lives in very flat area, most of us will not see this kind of MPG. Still unless too much gridlock or short trips 43-46 is doable without straining in this car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You can't beat the hatchbacks for looks if you ask me. Of course I feel that way about the Geo Metros too. The sedans just look like a small basic car with no flair.

Are those 60+ mpg numbers coming from a CVT or manual trans? My GF has a manual one and is loving the mileage. She loves being able to fill the tank for like $9.

Conor

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-09-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I won't deny that my head lead me to the Mirage. I was in a serious hunt for an efficient, cost effective vehicle when I was shopping around.

Having said that, there were a few contenders on my list. The Fit being one, Micra being another and still another was the Fiesta. No matter how hard I tried though, after I test drove the Scootabout, I couldn't picture myself getting one of the others. I loved the styling, I loved the performance (for it's class) and, most importantly, I loved the FEEL of it!

I was showing my wife all of the different cars I was considering but she's not really a car person and didn't really give me input for the decision. However, once I signed the paperwork and drove off the lot, her first words on seeing it in person were, "IT'S SO CUTE!" She's commented how even though it's a small car (she grew up in the hay day of the GM plants in Oshawa), the growl of the engine satisfies her in a comforting way. My wife is really looking forward to the day she becomes a driver because until we got the Scootabout, she hadn't even thought about driving a car at all for years. We take care of her and my wife feels confidence in the Scootabout's performance and abilities. She's looking forward to the day that I'm on the hunt for a new car again so she can take this car for herself. She really loves this car now and talks about it as "our girl". She's the one that came up with the nickname for her and she willingly helps me to take care of her.

So, head or heart? I'd say both for me. I've driven it for over 12 hours straight with barely a bathroom break and it has not tired me even though it's a manual. I've pushed it to it's limits and she hasn't complained once. I dunno what else to say.

Regards,
    Peter

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Kia Rio is another contender in this segment although it seems a lot bigger than this. I thought it was a nice car too but my GF didn't like it and was getting rid of a car she had somewhat settled upon and never loved. She didn't want to make that mistake again. She liked pictures of the Rio hatchback but none were available on the lot. I seem to recall this being like an $1800 upgrade or so too. We then saw one on the road and she commented that she liked it.

I personally drove the 6 speed manual and didn't think it had that much more power than the Mirage.

Mileage on these is good, the warranty is good, and people seem to like them. It is another car to consider in this class for similar or a little more money. Her complaint was that it was just a car and had no personality.

Conor