Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mirage is a "buy with your head, not with your heart" type of car. Too bad.

The Mirage is a "buy with your head, not with your heart" type of car. Too bad.

Name:  HEART-BRAIN.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  46.0 KB
    Image: postmemes

It seems like the reasons given for getting a Mirage are consistently rational -- there's little emotion involved in this car. That's not good.

E.G. andrew2080 signed up to ask questions about Mirage vs. Micra. He liked the Mirage and people gave him solid reasons for getting one. But his wife liked the Micra: it's "cute"! Guess which car they went for?

In Canada, the Micra is definitely perceived as cuter (heart!) and more fun (heart!). They even cleverly market it to the "male heart" (sorry, sexist) by launching a Micra spec racing series. Despite similar pricing, the Micra is outselling the Mirage almost 4 to 1.

On the other hand, I can only think of one person who bought a Mirage strictly for reasons of the heart -- she saw the plasma purple (pink!) and said, "I must buy that car!"

Thread: I think I just had the first MirageForum meet!

The changes to the 2017 Mirage address some of the "heart" issues of the current car. Hopefully they help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I am not in love with the styling of the Mirage, but the styling on the Micra has a PT Cruiser vibe that I just don't care for at all. I used to think the Micra was a better looking car, but I really don't anymore.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I wouldn't go to call Mirage an ugly car, but it is a blunt and not really attractive. Still lightyears better than 2016 Prius.

"Pretty" sells, for sure. When Hyundai redesigned Sonata in 2009 sales went up by 64%.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Agreed: 2016 Prius styling screams "go buy a Volt" to me.

It's so hard to debate subjectivity like styling. But the sales numbers are harder to dismiss.

Also: it's funny how perception of styling changes over time. I was dead set against the styling of the Mirage when it came out. But now I will sheepishly admit I actually prefer it over the 2017 facelift. That may be because I've come to take on an "underdog/runt of the litter" protectiveness over the car. Meaning, maybe now I love it because it's ugly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I will miss the mail slot.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (01-28-2016)

Thanks
    As the envelope that covers the essentials, the body of a car looks good to me when it slips through the air with the least resistance. I would buy another Mirage, when it is a like the 1st gen Insight or CRX and the frontal area and CD beat the 1st gen Insight.

No hybrid complexity and 70 mpg for two occupants. Better gearing.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

It's so hard to debate subjectivity like styling. But the sales numbers are harder to dismiss.

Also: it's funny how perception of styling changes over time. I was dead set against the styling of the Mirage when it came out. But now I will sheepishly admit I actually prefer it over the 2017 facelift. That may be because I've come to take on an "underdog/runt of the litter" protectiveness over the car. Meaning, maybe now I love it because it's ugly.
    I totally understand where you're coming from. Cobrajet kept mentioning them over at geometroforum.com. and.... I kept saying I thought they were "butt ugly". Well, it has grown on me, but I'll probably still wait on the 17 model, unless a killer deal comes along for a 15 ES.

Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    ("head" stuff)
    Totally agree. (That's the problem.)

Daox: mail slot! I'll miss it too.

Car Nut: I'm sure the deals are comin'.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I really do like the look of the Mirage. A lot. I don't like the look of the Micra; it's too Euro-wannabe. The Mirage looks aggressive -- I like that.

I don't wanna say that I would have gotten a Micra if I liked the way it looked over the Mirage, but since I like both Mitsubishi and Nissan...

My only regret is that it doesn't come in a 2-door! But what does these days? I'm a big fan of amber turn signals too, which is something else that's hard to find in anything except a Mitsubishi now.

Also, isn't andrew2080's reasons for getting a Micra really that he lets his wife make all his decisions for him?
    Last edited by nickpon; 01-28-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

IMHO Ioniq is gonna make a dent on 2016 Prius, and mostly due to styling (though Hyundai may undercut price too).

With respect to 2017 Mirage facelift, 2015 mail slot was fine, they just needed to retro headlights to make it look more like Fiat 500.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)