Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How many miles did your Enasave (OEM) tires last?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's weird. Wonder why that is? Maybe to stop people like myself that run studded tires year round
    I am sure that's it. People like you ruin it for the rest of us!

"Metal studs are prohibited in 11 states: Alabama, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Wisconsin (some of these states allow tires with rubber studs; Maryland allows studs only in certain counties)."

Look at the U.S. map on the source below. Makes no sense to me? Metal studs are legal in a state like Georgia, but not Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Michigan.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...d-winter-tires

Dec 6, 2018 - "Many drivers know winter tires are their best option for grip and slip in wintry conditions. Yet most drivers don't care. A recent study by Michelin found that 72 percent of people who live in the Midwest agree that tires should be changed in winter, yet 80 percent of those people don't bother to do it."

Does that make people in the Midwest appear cheap, lazy, or not very bright? Not sure?

I just know metal studs are not an option for where I drive, & I am surrounded by states where they aren't legal either.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I believe you have more 165/65r14 tires choices in Europe...
    A popular online tyre discounter (reifendirekt.de) has 134 different tyres in size 165/65R14
    They currently have 63 different summer tyres, 42 different winter tyres, and 29 all-season tyres, all of these ready for shipping...
    Last edited by foama; 08-02-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    A popular online tyre discounter (reifendirekt.de) has 134 different tyres in size 165/65R14
    They currently have 63 different summer tyres, 42 different winter tyres, and 29 all-season tyres, all of these ready for shipping...
    That's a huge difference in options compared to what we have!!!!!

I don't mind 165/65r14 tires at all. Personally, I feel skinner tires do better with both the mpg (year round) and snow traction. If someone is an indecisive person, less options makes tire shopping easier I guess.

American owned tire companies like Goodyear & Cooper don't list any 165/65r14 tires. Cooper doesn't list a 165 wide tire in any size. They start at 175. Goodyear will refer you to their Dunlop tire line (Enasave or Winter Maxx 2).

I don't mind the 165/65-14 (22.4") tire size, but I can see why people jump to 175/65-14 (23") tires in the States.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just curious - I checked a UK tire source, and they listed 58 options for 165/65-14 tires. Even companies like Cooper sell 165/65-14 tires in Europe.

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rs...arch+for+tyres

When I searched for 175/65-14 tires, the number jumped to 204.

Either way, you have many more small tire options. What's rare here isn't that way elsewhere.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That's a huge difference in options compared to what we have!!!!!

I don't mind the 165/65-14 (22.4") tire size, but I can see why people jump to 175/65-14 (23") tires in the States.
    In light of that I probably wouldn't hesitate switching to 175/65r14 too if I were in the States, but doing that here would forfeit my insurance and invalidate the registration, which would automatically forfeit my drivers licence in the process and get me in jail plus the car being seized!
    Anything to do with the car that makes it differ from the original official type approval immediately makes the car illegal and gets you in jail, unless you get a new official type approval for that individual car, the same procedure the manufacturer or importer went through before being allowed to sell that model, and that can easily cost more than a brand new car... There are very few exceptions to that procedure, but I wouldn't even think about it.
    Last edited by foama; 08-04-2019 at 06:41 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In light of that I probably wouldn't hesitate switching to 175/65r14 too if I were in the States, but doing that here would forfeit my insurance and invalidate the registration, which would automatically forfeit my drivers licence in the process and get me in jail plus the car being seized!
    Anything to do with the car that makes it differ from the original official type approval immediately makes the car illegal and gets you in jail, unless you get a new official type approval for that individual car, the same procedure the manufacturer or importer went through before being allowed to sell that model, and that can easily cost more than a brand new car... There are very few exceptions to that procedure, but I wouldn't even think about it.
    You make a very good case for sticking with 165/65r14 factory size tires, & you have a number of good choices to pick from.

Personally, I plan on sticking with 165/65r14 tires as long as couple decent options exist here. I don't see myself ever going back to Dunlop Enasave tires, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wow. And everyone in the States complains about the lines at the DMV/BMV....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-08-2019)

Wow, that's strict. I can see how running over sized tires can become "unsafe" in some cases though. Attachment 15166
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That sounds like the most overstrict rules I have, ever, heard of.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)