Thread: CVT and 10 year warranty?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

CVT and 10 year warranty?

Does anyone know if the optional CVT transimssion will be covered for a full 10 years under warranty? Seems it should be.

I prefer a manual on a small car, but with the CVT putting up better numbers and no worries about repair for 10 years it might be worth considering.

Any other opinions on CVT performance? I suppose it would make the pulse-glide method difficult, though it might be nice in city traffic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    In New Zealand at least, the dealer explained the warranty as a series of steps - after 3 years (think) they look at the car, see what sort of condition it is in, how many KM it has done, then they may "invite" the owner to extend their warranty to 5 years (think) and so on beyond. In other words, if it looks like it might break down, they don't want to know you.

To me that makes the whole thing pointless, particularly given that to maintain the warranty the owner has to have services done by the franchise dealer at great cost.

Our 2006 Colt did almost 200,000km without mechanical problems apart from front end rattles which do seem to be typical of the model. I suspect the rattles are engine mounts. After the 30,000km dealer service I did it all myself, really just oil, oil filter and air filter, brake pads and fluids, wipers, plus a couple of CVT oil changes.

As for CVT performance, again speaking mainly of the Colt the performance was very good. When we began accelerating it seemed to take a couple of seconds for "the rubber band to wind up" if you get what I mean - a bit like severe turbo lag - but once things started happening I felt that the performance was pretty good for the modest specs of the car. On long uphill runs the Colt often seemed to out perform cars which I would have thought would have left it for dead. From the little bit that I have had to do with the Mirage CVT package it feels pretty similar to the Colt's. Three cylinder motors do tend to have a lazy sound to them but seat of the pants feel is similar between the two cars.

It would be difficult to use hypermileage techniques such as coasting down to a stop in a CVT but on the other hand I guess that a CVT would keep the motor in it's most economical range when accelerating gently, plus it avoids the on/off the gas pedal that you get with every gear change in a manual with resulting changes in gas velocity and I guess brief richening of the fuel mix as the gas pedal is pressed. Certainly the Colt with it's 300cc larger motor and significantly more weight than the Mirage was very economical indeed, somewhere close to 50mpg most of the time.

Regards to all
    Flange

Seems to me there are no "weasel words" in the powertrain warranty description. The engine/transmission/electronics are covered for 10 years. (Exceptions: CV joints and clutch parts, water pump, timing chain)

10 Year Powertrain Warranty

Offer:

Subject to the additional conditions, your powertrain warranty will be valid for a total of 120 months from the original date of purchase or until the vehicle has traveled a total of 160,000kms (whichever occurs first).

Powertrain: refers to the major internal mechanical components that comprise the engine, gearbox, transfer box and differentials. It includes the engine block and its internal components such as crankshaft, pistons and rings, bearings, con-rods, camshafts, rocker arms, balance shafts and oil pumps, cylinder head and valves. For the gearbox / transmission / differential it includes the case, gears, torque converter, bearings, wet clutch packs, viscous control units and integrated Electronic Control Units.

This powertrain warranty is not a mechanical insurance policy and should not be interpreted as such.

Additional Conditions:

This powertrain warranty is available only:

• to the original purchaser of the vehicle and is valid only for the period of time that the vehicle is owned by the original purchaser. The driveline warranty extension offer is not transferable to any subsequent owner/s.
    • if all scheduled maintenance services have been completed by an authorized Mitsubishi Motors service outlet.
    • if a vehicle inspection to validate the warranty extension is carried out within the last 3 months prior to the expiry of the 60 month/ 130,000kms (whichever comes first) warranty period.

The conditions for the standard warranty apply to this powertrain warranty also.
    Source: http://www.mmnz.co.nz/10-year-warranty/

Flange: my reading of that 3 year inspection requirement is that it applies to the "bumper to bumper" warranty, and not the powertrain portion, which is separate.

to maintain the warranty the owner has to have services done by the franchise dealer at great cost.
    Also, not sure about N.Z., but in Canada the manufacturer must respect the warranty, provided the owner can provide proof that scheduled service has been performed. Which means you may still do your own oil changes, etc., or have a local independent shop service the car. We're not "forced" to bring the car to the dealer.

---

Canoehead: if you're a dedicated eco-driver, I'd say the transmission you choose should depend on your planned usage:

- If mostly highway then the CVT should win out - can't beat its lower cruising RPM.

- If mostly urban/exurban, the 5-speed will win (despite its lower fuel economy ratings) because it offers you the opportunity to do more coasting, kill the engine while approaching lengthy stops, pulse & glide at low/moderate speed, etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just talked to a local dealership sales guy here in Winnipeg - he said the warranty will be 10 year powertrain, 5 year bumper to bumper, and 5 year roadside assistance, and had heard the mid-range model pricing will be around $15,000. That is a very good warranty, considering Honda or Toyota would charge close to $2000 extra for an extended care plan that wouldn't even go 10 years (though it could go for more km).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-07-2013)

Thanks for posting that follow-up.

I don't even have a "local" dealership. Ottawa is the nearest, 100 km away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Thanks for posting that follow-up.

I don't even have a "local" dealership. Ottawa is the nearest, 100 km away.
    I have been reading some on-line reviews, many of which say my local dealerships (2, but same ownership) have sub-par service. Makes me hesitant since a 10 year warranty might only be as good as the service department that supports it. I'll have to do more research, or hope another dealer opens up.