Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rival Autosport CAI/SRI

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    I have a personal beef with speedlab because they claim aftermarket exhaust to make the motor lose power which is absolute bull**** and shows me that they slapped together one exhaust, saw a power loss, and decided to quit trying. They also claim most shops don't use a dyno which is why we don't know about the power loss, all I can say is look at any name brand company, not only do they use a dyno they usually show you the fkn graph from said dyno showing what power it makes (granted, sometimes that power is tuned not just slap on). Most of those name brands haven't tackled the mirage, either because it isn't popular enough, or they don't see them making a profit from it. Which leaves companies like speedlab who are less known (never heard of them until I came to THIS forum) who may or may not know what they are doing. As far as I am concerned, they aren't worth my money.

So if you, as a company, are going to try things out, all I can suggest is following the correct methodology of trying more than once to make an outstanding part like every other company does. Trial and error. And hopefully you will get more business than speed lab. Hell, if a company made a damn good product, the bigger companies may just jump in on the sale, which means more selection, which means more support for the mirage in the long run. So I hope you do some out with some nasty good stuff
    Don't worry about me, I know what I'm doing. But the bulge in the intake works for one reason: it creates a vacuum, which is why I used them as an example. They may not have dynoed the intake and checked the liquid dynamics in effect, but even a moderately designed bulge will create power.

Using a principle almost like Hemoltz Resonance, the bulge creates a low pressure zone in comparison to the rest of the intake piping causing a vacuum to form in the bulge. The engine working as the pump keeps sucking in the extra air and the vacuum keeps building until the volume of air in the entire system averages out at a higher mass than with a linear-diametre piping system.

The reason why the J's Racing unit that the Password:JDM one is based off of looks the way it does is because of the need to smooth the air out over the routing of the piping, which is in the form of an 's'. Mind you, smoothing out the bulge in a straight pipe would also yield benefits.

Mind you, this is from my non-expertise liquid dynamics understanding. I've only been studying this stuff by myself for about 2-3 years, so I am nowhere near schooled. There may be other principles involved. that I am not aware of that change the theory slightly, but I research every chance I get so I can innovate or improve on my current understanding of physics, chemistry and so on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rival Autosport For This Useful Post:

RedRage (04-25-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Also, let's not forget everyone, that we with the MAF Mirages are not aware or knowing of the effects of more freeflow on a MAP system. They may have different side effects to reduced back pressure than we do as their valve timing may be slightly different and such. Our MAF systems feel like they make power, but we have yet to dyno prove that.

Furthermore unto that, I don't know who here has worked at a company like AEM and so on, but we do not definitely know how intensive or extensive the R&D process is and we can only take their words for it. They could just make something that looks like it makes sense or at least shows some kind of increase, dyno it to get the graph and call it a day. Also, the performance potential of any given part changes when other modifications and tunes are introduced into the system. Not say that is what they do, but you can never be sure which of the small or big names are worth what without being on the inside, so we should take everything with a grain of salt.

I really apologize if I'm seemingly going off, and especially to you namco, but many times I see accusations and discrediting statements thrown around in forums and even on the streets with little actual time and in-depth research invested, and I don't think it's fair to slander someone's name or efforts at will based upon glancing insight. At the very least they tried and provided at least some contribution to our community and for that we should be very grateful. Everyone has their opinions, yes, but we should at least show some tact and respect when brandishing them.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rival Autosport For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (02-16-2016),Eggman (02-16-2016),Teasmade (02-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rival Autosport View Post
    I really apologize if I'm seemingly going off, and especially to you namco, but many times I see accusations and discrediting statements thrown around in forums and even on the streets with little actual time and in-depth research invested, and I don't think it's fair to slander someone's name or efforts at will based upon glancing insight. At the very least they tried and provided at least some contribution to our community and for that we should be very grateful. Everyone has their opinions, yes, but we should at least show some tact and respect when brandishing them.
    Thanks for this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    No apology required, Rival Autosport.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No you are spot on dude. I am not upset with you at all. But sometimes the **** that comes out of peoples mouths just doesn't match real life. Hell, dude who wrote an article deleted my post then went on the personally bash me and how wrong I was, if I was wrong why did he need to delete it so no one would see it? That's the kicker. But that's off point i guess. I have a short fuse, I can admit that, but that also keeps me away from possible issues in life, like buying parts from a company that doesn't know anything and makes a claim that flat out shows they don't know much. On your behalf, I'm glad you research, and that you plan to go through some r&d and make a good product, and constantly improving your stuff. That makes me feel better than a company claiming and exhaust gives zero gain at all...... On that note, I hope you come up with some breakthroughs for this car, and when you have worked hard, get a hard earned reward for your effort.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    No you are spot on dude. I am not upset with you at all. But sometimes the **** that comes out of peoples mouths just doesn't match real life. Hell, dude who wrote an article deleted my post then went on the personally bash me and how wrong I was, if I was wrong why did he need to delete it so no one would see it? That's the kicker. But that's off point i guess. I have a short fuse, I can admit that, but that also keeps me away from possible issues in life, like buying parts from a company that doesn't know anything and makes a claim that flat out shows they don't know much. On your behalf, I'm glad you research, and that you plan to go through some r&d and make a good product, and constantly improving your stuff. That makes me feel better than a company claiming and exhaust gives zero gain at all...... On that note, I hope you come up with some breakthroughs for this car, and when you have worked hard, get a hard earned reward for your effort.
    Thanks bro. Much appreciated. I try to remain as diligent and honest in my efforts as possible. I try to put myself on the other side as much as possible because in the end, a legit product sells and people won't feel bad about the purchase afterwards. Someone who feels badly about purchasing something from me makes me feel bad because I caused them to feel that way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rival Autosport For This Useful Post:

RedRage (04-25-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the biggest restriction on altering this cars power output is the lack of actual ECU tuning (not a yr2000 piggy back spoofing chip) for a stock car, let alone a modded one. Mivec gives a lot of engine control and many emissions/"best mpg" (for ratings) mappings can be altered for some power increase. Similar control schemes (indeed using Mistu/Denso ECU's) on mazda "skyavtiv" motors can push out upwards of 25hp/tq stock on just a tune alone.
    Last edited by chris_top_her; 02-22-2016 at 06:37 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chris_top_her For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (02-22-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_top_her View Post
    I think the biggest restriction on altering this cars power output is the lack of actual ECU tuning (not a yr2000 piggy back spoofing chip) for a stock car, let alone a modded one. Mivec gives a lot of engine control and many emissions/"best mpg" (for ratings) mappings can be altered for some power increase. Similar control schemes (indeed using Mistu/Denso ECU's) on mazda "skyavtiv" motors can push out upwards of 25hp/tq stock on just a tune alone.
    I agree with you all the way. A proper standalone is the best way to do this. Piggybacks may get booted in closed loop and "chipping" sometimes has it's limits, depending on the original chip and presets. What I need to find out is how many ECUs, and the type of chip it runs, or if there are any easy solutions to run with a single ECU setup that runs everything.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rival Autosport View Post
    I agree with you all the way. A proper standalone is the best way to do this. Piggybacks may get booted in closed loop and "chipping" sometimes has it's limits, depending on the original chip and presets. What I need to find out is how many ECUs, and the type of chip it runs, or if there are any easy solutions to run with a single ECU setup that runs everything.
    an easy way to turbo, FMU. not the greatest and can fail easy, but do-able.

the piggy back can be better, some of the higher end piggybacks actually aren't as bad as the cheaper ones, so technically depends on the brand and their definition of piggyback.

as far as standalone, i know 100% that haltech from Australia gives detailed pin out diagrams so you can wire your **** up, or you can pay a bit more and they will wire one up for you. i actually thought about using them for my turbo build that i have planned coming up. but first i gotta fix that oem suspension both rim size/tire size and overall stiffness. at 80 the car starts to wander on the stock 165/65/14 and at 100 it gets really bad. stiffness would help but those tires wander too much having so much sidewall..... and in my view, getting the suspension and brakes right before power is the proper method of a build.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    question, does the size and design of the pod filter affect the mass of air that comes in the intake?