Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprising garage stats: comparing numbers of CVT vs. manual Mirage owners

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I sort of like a manual, but don't really care. I rented a CVT for a longer test drive before buying mine and it worked just fine. If the CVT had been the same price, I would have got that, but to pay an extra $1000 or so for it wasn't good value for me. To pay for itself in fuel would take a very long time (if ever - it only seems to be better on the highway), so the only real advantage is convenience. In stop/go city traffic I can appreciate an automatic, for sure, and they are handy if you are trying to eat and drive at the same time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For those who have a manual or CVT, how different is the mileage in real world use? I know the CVT spins a lot slower at highway speeds but how much of a difference is this making?

Conor

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    For those who have a manual or CVT, how different is the mileage in real world use? I know the CVT spins a lot slower at highway speeds but how much of a difference is this making?

Conor
    I took a look at the fuel logs under detailed section, and it seems to be that the manual transmission is getting 1 km/L in average more than the automatic one. Hope this makes sense

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Driving CVT

Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    I have the CVT and much prefer it to a manual. I had never driven a CVT before the Mirage, and I heard horror stories about CVTs in other cars. The Mirage CVT is programmed to work perfectly to suit my driving. In normal driving, it is not difficult to stay under 2000 rpm while accelerating, even up to highway speeds. Of course cruising at highway speed is at much lower rpm than the manual. Then if there is a need for quick acceleration for merging or passing, pressing the pedal to the floor brings 5000 rpm almost immediately and it stays at 5000 rpm to whatever speed you want by changing the gear ratio. Driving the CVT takes some learning though. With a manual transmission, you choose the gear ratio and provide fuel to the engine with the accelerator pedal. With the CVT, the accelerator pedal is essentially a computer input device. Using the position of the pedal, the current speed of the car, the slope of the road, etc. the computer decides what rpm and what gear ratio is appropriate. When you learn what the computer will do under different circumstances, you can provide the right pressure on the pedal to get the result you want.
    My thoughts exactly. The CVT is a machine that searches torque for you at the lowest possible rpm. It is NOT for "spirited driving". If you use it well, you will not need to exceed 2000 rpm. Sometimes I try to go with the flow with rpm less than 1800. It works, but as you said, you really need to communicate with your car. I therefore cannot understand the remark of manual drivers that they need the "engagement" with the car. I never was so engaged with my car as with the CVT and I drove all kinds of manuals and automatics. It is great fun, but it is a subtle game. Not for sporty driving. Although I feel that there is much still to learn about driving in sports mode. I do not have the feeling that that works very well. It could be that I need to refine (and get more spirited in sports mode?).

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    I took a look at the fuel logs under detailed section, and it seems to be that the manual transmission is getting 1 km/L in average more than the automatic one. Hope this makes sense
    Yep, that makes sense. The torque converter and the two speed automatic that is in front of the CVT automatic take energy away.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting... So the CVT is coupled with a 2 speed auto to add a wider range of gear ratios? This sounds like more complexity than I would want in a small car like this.

Conor

View detailed fuel economy stats by engine size (1.2L vs. 1.0L) and transmission type (CVT vs. 5-speed manual).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Interesting... So the CVT is coupled with a 2 speed auto to add a wider range of gear ratios? This sounds like more complexity than I would want in a small car like this.
    The 2-speed sub-gearbox improves both performance and fuel economy. I would want it.

As far as I know, we haven't heard of any CVT failures at all. And this CVT has been used widely in small cars from multiple manufacturers since 2009.

It appears Nissan's older, less reliable CVT's in higher power applications gave them a bad name.

Thread: Information about the Mirage CVT (Jatco CVT7 JF015E) operation, video, diagrams

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts

Conor
    The Jatco CVT7 in the Mirage is a good thing actually. It's used with engines over 100hp and should last a lifetime in the Mirage with regular fluid changes. With the 2 speed ratios it's surprisingly peppy shifting it into "​B" and sticking your foot into it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I have only seen reference to ONE engine failure and ONE transmission failure in a CVT in all of the research I was doing. Both were replaced under warranty without any issues. The engine failure didn't really sound like the fault of the engine either. The owner kept driving with a check engine light on. One day it got really cold and whatever sensor had failed caused WAY too much gas to be injected into the engine, washing down the cylinder walls, trashing it.

I went ahead and put my money where my mouth is and put down a deposit on the 2015 Mirage which is being clearanced now at close to $4000 off. I should be getting it Saturday.

Conor

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-03-2016),inuvik (03-03-2016)