Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear ratios: 2014 Mirage transmissions, 5-spd manual F5MDB & CVT (speed vs RPM chart)

It may be available in the unpublished tech specs (it was published for the UK and some other countries).

I'll ask Mitsu USA...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Roger at Mitsubishi USA confirmed to me by email today that the manual transmission ratios in the US car are the same as Southeast Asian / non-Euro market cars.

Looks like Europe/UK gets the gearing for economy, everyone else gets gearing for acceleration/power (such as it is!).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-13-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why couldnt we get euro spec

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Believe me you don't want an economical gearing, especially not in combination with 1.0L engine. I want acceleration/power gearing if possible, I don't believe it makes huge difference in fuel consumption.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It would just be nice to drive 70 mph and not have the rpms screaming at 3400 rpms

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    You don't hear lots of engine noise anyway, makes not much difference. Aygo or citroen C1 in contrary, you would love to have lower RPM since you will hear the engine noise at ALL time very loud inside. At the back you will hear the noise a lot. Not to mention the wind and outside noise. Mirage is nicely isolated in that matter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wonder if it might be worth it to order some internals and do some gear swaps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Are there any real-world RPM / speed values available yet? With the CVT being variable by design, I guess it will behave as any other CVT transmission on the market and lower the RPM as low as possible to maintain the constant speed. So transmission ratios might not be helpful to determine how low the engine really revs in certain situations.

It'd be great if someone could post the RPM at common *constant* (not flooring it and reading the rev-meter right away ) speeds like 30kph, 50kph, 80kph, 100kph, 120kph and 150kph (or miles of course)?

Thanks a lot!

@Cani Lupine: Just as "m4v3r1ck" said, I highly doubt that there will be any significant real world difference between the US and European milage... I guess that the only reason Mitsubishi changed the top gear to a higher ratio in Europe is, that there are really stupid, test drive cycles to determine a car's mileage and manufacturers also have to lower their fleet Co2 emissions. Mitsubishi pretty much only sells - relative to other manufacturers - gas guzzlers here, so they knock down consumption (on paper) with their smallest car as low as possible, even though in a real driving scenario, those values usually can't ever be achieved.
    Gas will have to get way more expensive in the US to even out the costs for theoretically swapping the top gear and losing the warranty along with it.
    Last edited by M-K; 09-15-2013 at 08:41 AM.

I haven't seen any values posted for speed/RPM for the CVT.

Maybe one of our members would do that for us. For a baseline, various flat road cruising RPMs would be useful to know.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    We do have the speed/rpm values for the manual transmissions here:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-vs-RPM-chart)

You can bet that the CVT will be at lower rpms than the manual transmission at any constant cruising speed.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)