Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Throttle Body Cleaning

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    actually i didnt touch the flaps i tried pushing it slightly and its not moving at all. so i only sprayed it with the cleaner and let it dry after 15-20mins before reconnecting the battery.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I clean my throttle-body with every second air filter (new air filter every 10,000kms/6,000miles), and clean the MAF Sensor every time I do an oil change/change an air filter. There's a fair bit of build up on mine occasionally.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

I've never cleaned the throttle bodies on the cars. I had to clean the tb on a chev the other day but it has 740k kms so was due for a good cleaning.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-22-2018),Loren (11-22-2018),Pryme (11-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With today's modern high detergent top tier fuels, most of which have ethanol in them, its highly unlikely that you will ever need to clean the throttle body.

That's something from a bygone era with leaded fuels and just generally lower detergent fuels.

Of course they will still sell you their spray cans.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I'm not so sure of that, Pryme. I'm pretty sure the injectors are downstream of the throttle body and thus would not provide any cleaning.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm not so sure of that, Pryme. I'm pretty sure the injectors are downstream of the throttle body and thus would not provide any cleaning.
    Yeah I was thinking injector cleaner. I've cleaned a MAF before but I've never needed to clean a throttle body on any of my cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    All the gunk is on the back side of the throttle plate. If you are just taking off the intake hose and shooting some carb cleaner on the top of the plate...you aren't doing much. You need to open the throttle plate and get in/around the area behind it. But like I said earlier...drive-by-wire cars don't like to have the throttle plate manually opened. So either disconnect it before you mess with it or have a helper floor the gas pedal to open it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    All the gunk is on the back side of the throttle plate. If you are just taking off the intake hose and shooting some carb cleaner on the top of the plate...you aren't doing much. You need to open the throttle plate and get in/around the area behind it.
    Yes .. that's absolutely correct.

This is how it looked like when I first inspected the throttle body before cleaning..
    Name:  Throttle Body gunk.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  55.2 KB

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-24-2018),mohammad (10-24-2021),Top_Fuel (11-24-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I am planning to clean the throttle body as well on mine since I started having erratic RPMs on idle when engine starts cold. I read somewhere that you will need to have a diagnostics tool to initiate idle relearn process otherwise idle in the ECU will be messed up. I am wondering if you ever had to do that after cleaning the throttle body.

Also is it safe to use carb cleaner on the throttle body?

The one and only time I've bothered to clean a Mirage throttle body was to humor our retarded nearby dealership. Took 5 mins. The back of the blade was a little oily.
    What I did was unbolt the throttle body from the intake, stick a rag in the intake so you don't spray crap in there, hold the throttle wide open with a snow brush while the key is in the run position and spray away. I just used brake cleaner. Carb cleaner, or combustion chamber cleaner works too. There isn't an idle air control motor to gum up like on older cable controlled throttle bodies. There's just a motor that moves the butterfly that has the tps sensor built into it.

Don't unplug the throttle body with the key on, or don't turn the key on with the throttle body turned on or you'll throw a code. Don't try to move the butterfly by hand either, there's a chance you'll mess it up.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

grevster (08-22-2019)