Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 273814
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Here are a couple of images I made for my notes. At one time, I owned both the old and new style sway bars.

Name:  Doax Sway Bar 1.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  Doax Sway Bar 2.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  94.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I appreciate the update Eggman. I need to crawl under my Mirage & see how things look. If my rear springs are being damaged, I would rather address that sooner rather than later. I can't really picture how the bolts would rub against the spring, because it would seem like everything would move up & down together. With the first generation sway bars, I was concerned about the sway bar fitting so close to the brake line brackets & causing a wearing issue with those.
    When I installed my sway bar I didn't drop the bolts in from above because I noticed the interference. I installed the bolts from below and used the smaller nut on top hoping to avoid the contact with the spring. That didn't work.

Look at the installation hardware used for the UR sway bar in this post (you may have to visit the post to see the photo)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    I have also seen this issue brought up in another forum and even after 3 years the end user was shipped a replacement from UR. Here is a picture I just took on mine. I don't live in Salt Lake City, as the one in your link, but I do drive in Florida flood waters every week.

Maybe they used crappy hardware during the install? Just for good measure though, I'll rough mine up and put a sealer on it. I see Rust-Oleum has a clear flexible sealer in a can for $10. It's even paintable :P

EDIT: Seeing as the censuses in the other link is bad hardware, poor torque specs, and the loose springs; I will definitely keep following this link for an option to further reinforce the rear end. I really want rear springs, but the stock ride height just isn't an option for something much stiffer and the labor alone for all 4 lowering springs installed is more than the springs themselves lol...

Attachment 6200
    After listening you, it worth taking a look for sure.
    I didn't think I would have to check on the sway bar - instead I thought it would be a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing. After all, it has no moving parts.

I changed tires the other day, but didn't really check out that area. I really like the outcome of a rear sway bar. I would be willing to give the revised one a try before bailing on them. If my memory serves me right, I remember a white rear sway bar sold by another company (Ultra Racing Rear Sway Bar maybe?) also breaking at the welds. I am not going to search for that pic, because it may have been outside the forum?
    I recall some reports of that UR bar failing. One report was from forum member ednevell:

I don't know what to do here! (UR sway bar broke)

I like the thought of the air bag suspension, too. You'll have to keep us posted on that, too! Could the air bags help reduce the strain put on a sway bar?
    Not sure about the need for both, especially considering the longevity of sway bars.

Do we have anyone on the forum doing both air bags & sway bar?
    Not that I know of. I was hoping to but that's off the table now haha.

Doesn't the revised rear sway bar have a solid bar instead of the hollow one?
    Not sure if a solid bar would avoid this break? I'm no metallurgist but it seems that the failure has to do with tempering at the weld, not the bar material.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Here are a couple of images I made for my notes. At one time, I owned both the old and new style sway bars.
    Mine must be the old style as the tube passes through the angle iron and is welded on both sides.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Doesn't the revised rear sway bar have a solid bar instead of the hollow one?
    The largest stress on the bar is on the outer diameter. Making the bar solid really doesn't help much at all, but it does add a lot more weight. All of the bars I make are hollow.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-26-2020),Top_Fuel (12-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We enjoyed a white Christmas. I thought I could catch a time-lapse of the accumulation but was too late:

Early this morning (check out the snow piled up on that mirror):

Looks like there was about fifteen inches of snow on top - probably more because I couldn't reach the point of the greatest accumulation:

This last picture was from about four years ago:

And it was all shoveled by hand - no snowblowers or plows were used.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-29-2020),Fummins (12-27-2020),inuvik (12-26-2020),MetroMPG (12-27-2020),MirageRally (12-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Man, shoveling all that by hand has to make you ripped with muscles right now! Come on tell me, what's your workout regimen? Lol last time I saw you you looked like
    He-Man
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Man, shoveling all that by hand has to make you ripped right now! Come on tell me, what's your workout regimen? Lol last time I saw you you looked like
    He-Man
    Now that's funny lol. Shoveling snow is my workout.

I'm into fitness - fittin' this whole pizza in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hahaha, when everything's totally opens back up again I'm going back to the gym... I used to be So into fitness and now... Not so much... New years resolution.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Hahaha, when everything's totally opens back up again I'm going back to the gym... I used to be So into fitness and now... Not so much... New years resolution.
    You’re smart to take your health seriously.

I’m very thankful for my health, that I can still do stuff like this. Considering all that can go wrong in this life - I mean look around at all the suffering in this world. In the grand scheme we got it good - real good. Future generations might look back on this as the good old days.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    True and also serves as a good reminder to spend time with family and loved ones. None of us live forever but one thing's for sure: make the best memories you can with your family and those you care for with the time you have left. My grandfather taught me that. Family really does make the world go round.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You’re absolutely right there. To be honest I need to get into a more regular & consistent exercise routine too, while I still can!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-27-2020)