Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 273907
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    We enjoyed a white Christmas. I thought I could catch a time-lapse of the accumulation but was too late:
    WOW!! That's a lotta snow. Was it your first snowfall?

We got our first significant snow yesterday, but only about 10 cm / 4 in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    WOW!! That's a lotta snow. Was it your first snowfall?

We got our first significant snow yesterday, but only about 10 cm / 4 in.
    It was the second of the season. The first fell around the beginning of December and left almost as much snow. That first snowfall was more difficult to deal with because it fell on a workday and the driveway had to be cleared to maintain access. On top of that the temperatures were closer to the melting/freezing point so it was heavy and wet. If it were colder during that first snow the total accumulation would have been that much higher. But man that was a bear of a snowfall to shovel.

In case any of our forum members wonder what it's like to live in a snowy environment. With a Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts

I installed the Air Lift air bag kit. Here's my immediate thoughts after a ride around the block:
    1. The anti-sway bar addresses sway only. It might help stiffen up the rear springs by tying the two sides together but that has a limited effect.
    2. The AirLift air bags appear to address not only body sway but helps the rear suspension deal with heavy loads and keeps the headlights from blinding oncoming drivers as well as improve ride. Best of all, it's adjustable.

Like I said I'll give it some time but as of tonight I wish I had installed these air bags long ago.
    How long did it take you to install your AIR LIFT 60724 1000 Series Air Spring Kit?

Do you have any good suggestions for someone installing one on a Mirage?

Now that it's been installed for a couple weeks, could you give us an update on your thoughts about it?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    How long did it take you to install your AIR LIFT 60724 1000 Series Air Spring Kit?
    Too long! It was freezing out and I had to struggle to get the failed Daox anti-sway bar off first. The rusty fasteners and lack of powered tools made the job difficult.

I approached this the same way I did when swapping junkyard springs a couple years ago. I started by lifting the rear a little then disconnecting the brake hose brackets from the body of the car as found inside the wheelwells. That way when I lift the rear of the car the axle isn't hanging by the hoses (never a good idea.) Next I disconnected the bottom of the shocks from the axle. All this is done with the tires still attached. Next I lifted the rear of the car body and let the rear tires rest on the ground. That gave enough clearance for both springs to simply fall out of their seats. With that out of the way I focused on wrestling/removing the failed Daox anti-sway bar.

Then I took the springs and air bags inside and stuffed the air bags into the coil springs according to the instructions provided by Air Lift. It was another wrestling match that I'm sure would have been made easier if the air bags were warmer and more pliable. Once the air bags were installed I put the springs back in position in the rear axle, installed and routed the air hoses according to instructions. I lowered the car body to line up the shocks with their attachment to the rear axle and set their bolts in place. At this point I noticed what appears to be some threaded fittings in or around the spring seat and shock mount - something that looks like they could be used for sway bar attachment points. But I digress. With the shocks back in place I reattached the brake hose brackets, put some air in the air bags and took it for a spin around the block.

Do you have any good suggestions for someone installing one on a Mirage?
    Wait for warmer weather.

Now that it's been installed for a couple weeks, could you give us an update on your thoughts about it?
    The spring rate and length of travel is considerably different, as expected. Now the rear axle is much bouncier than the front axle. Over the first few days I adjusted the setup by letting out more and more air out of the air bags. Air Lift says they won't offer a guarantee unless the air bags are kept inflated with at least 5 psi, which sounds good except I don't have a gauge that measures pressures that low. I wound up releasing so much air that I'm pretty sure I'm at 0 psi (outside of temperature and atmospheric pressure changes) and the ride is still too bouncy back there.

Except yesterday with a Costco run! With the cargo area loaded up with stuff the ride smoothed out perfect and I wasn't blinding drivers ahead with high headlight beams like has happened in the past.

So in my opinion it's not the golden ticket for everyday commuting. For loaded trips they work fantastic. Which I suppose is what these air bags are meant for, right? In the end, it's no substitute for a properly designed suspension spring. That's what I appreciate about being able to take MirageRally's 2020 for a spin - his suspension felt like what the Mirage should have had from the start.

Thanks for asking. I hope this answers your questions.
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-10-2021 at 11:09 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-10-2021),Top_Fuel (01-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Too long! It was freezing out and I had to struggle to get the failed Daox anti-sway bar off first. The rusty fasteners and lack of powered tools made the job difficult.

I approached this the same way I did when swapping junkyard springs a couple years ago. I started by lifting the rear a little then disconnecting the brake hose brackets from the body of the car as found inside the wheelwells. That way when I lift the rear of the car the axle isn't hanging by the hoses (never a good idea.) Next I disconnected the bottom of the shocks from the axle. All this is done with the tires still attached. Next I lifted the rear of the car body and let the rear tires rest on the ground. That gave enough clearance for both springs to simply fall out of their seats. With that out of the way I focused on wrestling/removing the failed Daox anti-sway bar.

Then I took the springs and air bags inside and stuffed the air bags into the coil springs according to the instructions provided by Air Lift. It was another wrestling match that I'm sure would have been made easier if the air bags were warmer and more pliable. Once the air bags were installed I put the springs back in position in the rear axle, installed and routed the air hoses according to instructions. I lowered the car body to line up the shocks with their attachment to the rear axle and set their bolts in place. At this point I noticed what appears to be some threaded fittings in or around the spring seat and shock mount - something that looks like they could be used for sway bar attachment points. But I digress. With the shocks back in place I reattached the brake hose brackets, put some air in the air bags and took it for a spin around the block.

Wait for warmer weather.

The spring rate and length of travel is considerably different, as expected. Now the rear axle is much bouncier than the front axle. Over the first few days I adjusted the setup by letting out more and more air out of the air bags. Air Lift says they won't offer a guarantee unless the air bags are kept inflated with at least 5 psi, which sounds good except I don't have a gauge that measures pressures that low. I wound up releasing so much air that I'm pretty sure I'm at 0 psi (outside of temperature and atmospheric pressure changes) and the ride is still too bouncy back there.

Except yesterday with a Costco run! With the cargo area loaded up with stuff the ride smoothed out perfect and I wasn't blinding drivers ahead with high headlight beams like has happened in the past.

So in my opinion it's not the golden ticket for everyday commuting. For loaded trips they work fantastic. Which I suppose is what these air bags are meant for, right? In the end, it's no substitute for a properly designed suspension spring. That's what I appreciate about being able to take MirageRally's 2020 for a spin - his suspension felt like what the Mirage should have had from the start.

Thanks for asking. I hope this answers your questions.
    Awesome review about the air lift kit. I plan on keeping my suspension stock, I really thought about doing godspeed coilovers because I've heard they're adjustable, so in the event that it's too firm or too soft I can adjust them. (I've never gone and tracked my car so correct me if I'm wrong). But for daily driving the stock suspension is just fine. Now if you go to the track, you obviously want a stiffer and more tight rear end to be able to take Corners more confidently. When I took my car yesterday to drive around, I went around a corner and had to do a Quicker turn radius than I thought and I could definitely feel my cars body weight shift and the back end got very bouncy. I do like the stock suspension with no sway bar because everytime I drive it makes me realize with the car it's designed for fuel economy and you're meant to take Corners at a slow speed. When I drove my friends Subaru Impreza, that thing had no body roll and you could take corners at the speed limit and it would still be fine. The body roll reminds you that you're just driving a car and kind of puts you back in the reality of "no wonder they list speed limits slower for going around turns". That reality of not making the car confident to feel stable round corners makes me a better driver on the road and makes me slow down more.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 01-31-2021 at 08:18 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    . The spring rate and length of travel is considerably different, as expected. Now the rear axle is much bouncier than the front axle. Over the first few days I adjusted the setup by letting out more and more air out of the air bags. Air Lift says they won't offer a guarantee unless the air bags are kept inflated with at least 5 psi, which sounds good except I don't have a gauge that measures pressures that low. I wound up releasing so much air that I'm pretty sure I'm at 0 psi (outside of temperature and atmospheric pressure changes) and the ride is still too bouncy back there.
    I appreciate the update. Probably a better summer task than December/January one for sure!

I find your thoughts on the updated Mirage suspension interesting, & you have shared that before. Not having ever driven or been in a 2014-15 Mirage I can't make the comparison. I can't say that I know anyone outside the forum that owns a Mirage.

Air bags are probably not the solution to improved handling, but it would be useful when hauling heavier loads. Air bags would help those using a rear bumper carrying rack . If you were taking a trip with 4 adults in the car, they would be nice to have, too.

You probably already know this, but others may not. Low pressure tire gauges (0-20 psi) are quite common. Anyone who owns an ATV, UTV, riding lawnmower, etc... would use one. You are sometimes running only 2-4 psi in an ATV tire.

https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Flate-17-.../dp/B00085F51G

These may be good to have for air bag suspension owners, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I appreciate the update. Probably a better summer task than December/January one for sure!

I find your thoughts on the updated Mirage suspension interesting, & you have shared that before. Not having ever driven or been in a 2014-15 Mirage I can't make the comparison. I can't say that I know anyone outside the forum that owns a Mirage.

Air bags are probably not the solution to improved handling, but it would be useful when hauling heavier loads. Air bags would help those using a rear bumper carrying rack . If you were taking a trip with 4 adults in the car, they would be nice to have, too.

You probably already know this, but others may not. Low pressure tire gauges (0-20 psi) are quite common. Anyone who owns an ATV, UTV, riding lawnmower, etc... would use one. You are sometimes running only 2-4 psi in an ATV tire.

https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Flate-17-.../dp/B00085F51G

These may be good to have for air bag suspension owners, too!
    I didn't know gauges came in that low a range. That gauge looks like it would be perfect for this application. I doubt I would get one since I would adjust for my tastes anyway.

The air bags are thick enough that they don't lose their shape even when not inflated with any substantial amount of pressure. They are still sealed and thus provide a noticeable resistance to spring compression as they are. When hitting bumps in the road there is a obvious difference from the front axle to the rear. This difference is diminished when loaded to an almost equal response front to rear. If any of that makes any sense.

This should work very well for those who carry tools or other heavy loads on a regular basis, a bike carrier, luggage rack or even those looking to pull a trailer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ol' Speck isn't quite at 36,000 miles but it should be there by the next fillup. Still getting used to the rear suspension air bags. Beyond that it is doing pretty much what I wanted - get in, start it up and go.

I really appreciate it's features like automatic climate control - I just set a temperature and it controls fan speed as the engine warms up and directs the air where it's needed without manual intervention. It just works and hasn't let me down. I use the cruise control a lot too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-31-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ol' Speck isn't quite at 36,000 miles but it should be there by the next fillup. Still getting used to the rear suspension air bags. Beyond that it is doing pretty much what I wanted - get in, start it up and go.

I really appreciate it's features like automatic climate control - I just set a temperature and it controls fan speed as the engine warms up and directs the air where it's needed without manual intervention. It just works and hasn't let me down. I use the cruise control a lot too.
    Glad for the update. l did my oil change on my cold garage floor....l came in every so often to warm up lol...when l let the oil drip into the pan, l let some drip on my hands and it didn't burn...maybe bc my hands were so cold, but l felt nice and toasty.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Took Speck to the beach yesterday.

Not really on the beach. The parking area is about a quarter-mile away. In case anyone wants to look it up this was at the Headlands Beach State Park near Mentor and Painesville. Walking was very slippery in some spots but it was a nice visit during a very unique time of year in our area. MirageRally and Johnny Mullet no doubt know what it's like.

The past few weeks have been a good and proper winter just off the South shore of Lake Erie. It's the shallowest of the Great Lakes and thus sees the widest temperature swings. Northeast Ohio is covered under grey, cloudy skies until the Lake freezes over - then the sun comes out. Until then, winter here can really beat you down. It helps to get out and about rather than stay huddled & sequestered inside all the time.

There was enough ice to walk on, but not too far from shore. Closer to town some folks got stranded when they wandered too far from shore and their ice floe broke off and started drifting away. They had to be rescued, jeopardizing the emergency crews called out to save them. And every so often there's stories of cars and trucks being lost out on the Lake when people think it's safe enough to drive on and their vehicle breaks through the ice and falls in. All that just to get a fish? People are funny.

All y'all down South don't have these problems, they have their own set of worries.

Enjoy.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-22-2021),MirageRally (02-22-2021)