Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 275214
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Doh! Sorry to hear about the mirror casualty. Car-part.com does show a right hand mirror in blue for $70 if you're looking to replace it.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Doh! Sorry to hear about the mirror casualty. Car-part.com does show a right hand mirror in blue for $70 if you're looking to replace it.
    I saw that. I'll have to keep an eye on parts there for if/when a reasonably priced driver's side mirror comes up. Thanks for pointing that out.

Specks's fourth fuel log entry was a bit worse than the previous, but not bad. Not like my fuel consumption hero, 25Plus.

I want to use my free oil change at the dealer soon to change out the old factory engine oil. I would also like them to do an alignment check and compare their findings with my NTB check last weekend. Has anyone else noticed any differences in driveability with their first oil change? After the first dealer change, I think I will start a 6 month / 5,000 mile oil change interval, and I think I will be using Mobil 1 products.

Much gratitude for this forum. Thanks everyone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't notice anything after my first oil change. That is until I did my next one and realized the dealer overfilled the oil with just over a quart extra. I'm now doing a 7,000 mile interval with Mobil 1 as well. If you go on their website you can get a $12 rebate on 5 quarts, and $15 if you also buy their filter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    In other news, I am carrying a gas can in the trunk (boot for our UK readers?) for when I run out of fuel. I am at the blinking fuel display and have been for a couple days now.

I don't want to run it completely dry, as I understand it is not nice to run the fuel pump dry. I might fill up before that point. In the meantime, I have exactly 1.000 gallon of gasoline in a fuel container at the ready for this experiment.
    I filled up before running out and put the plastic gas can in the garage. Wouldn't want that in the car, especially in an accident.

I put 8.391 US gallons in. The tank is rated for 9.2 US gallons. So I could have gone farther? Some of the neighborhoods I was driving through that day - let's just say I didn't want to run out of gas there. That and there was some debris in the bottom of that gas can. Maybe I'll try again some other day.

Now I need to get rid of the gas that's in that can. Maybe burn it in someone's lawn mower. You might be surprised to know my mowers use no gas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    I didn't notice anything after my first oil change. That is until I did my next one and realized the dealer overfilled the oil with just over a quart extra. I'm now doing a 7,000 mile interval with Mobil 1 as well. If you go on their website you can get a $12 rebate on 5 quarts, and $15 if you also buy their filter.
    The second dealer I took my car to over filled my oil by a quart and used the wrong oil. I bought ramps and a hydraulic jack.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm about due for another fill up. Pretty boring and uneventful, really. Which brings up a few thoughts about my new car.

This is my first new car. For over 30 years, I owned and (drove/driven?) used vehicles. I learned a bit about how they work by necessity, as do many of us. It's noteworthy how much money we can (and cannot) spend on transportation - it seems there is almost a minimum cost to it.

It was - and still is - tempting to get a more expensive car. No doubt it will be a better driving experience over my Mirage. There are many cars that take corners with more confidence, accelerate faster, brake shorter, and are more stable at highway speeds.

Then I consider the various limits imposed on driving. Laws of physics that determine how fast any given chassis can corner, how fast a drivetrain can accelerate, the shortest distance any brake & tire combo can stop a vehicle of a given weight. Legal limits such as speed limits and traffic controls at intersections. Feel free to add more of your own.

There's been some impressive improvements in automotive technology in these areas. Recent threads on this particular message board have turned into debates, such as the thread on auto braking. Safety technology often draws praise for helping save lives, and criticism for driving up costs, increasing complexity, and of course governmental oversight - practically a tangle of debate.

Considering the range of vehicles that I have driven, I am impressed with the list of features that come with this car, even in base form, whether the feature is meant for safety or not. For examples, I like the MIVEC variable valve timing, the automatic climate control, the body size and shape (it's enough for 99% of my transportation needs without carting around extra weight and baggage) the Active Stability Control (ASC) which I hardly ever notice working.

I would love to have a big, fast car. I would not like having to pay for it. I'm put off by the cost of cars these days. If only money was no object...

One goal of mine with this car is to save money, not spend it.

The Rockford Fosgate audio, along with a navigation radio unit would be pretty cool though...

So here I have my Mirage. Not a bad little car. It works for me, and I don't have to spend loads of money to get around reliably.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-30-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd love a bigger faster car too and I've had all kinds of vehicles, usually older ones. This car keeps ME out of trouble and with the stick it's fun enough. And the amount of cash I am saving on gas over what I have usually driven in the past is a big plus. Not to mention I have not had to do any repairs, which was getting tiring and expensive! I sold my 3 lawn ornaments to use as a down payment when I bought the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I made another fuel log entry. I'm keeping track of the amount of error of my MID fuel consumption gauge from tank to tank, and averaging the error.

The fuel economy of this car is largely meeting and exceeding my expectations when I was researching a replacement car. Thanks to this forum and it's members, I was not mislead.

Thanks to everyone. Cheers!
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-01-2016 at 08:40 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Littlestan (06-01-2016)

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is my first new car. For over 30 years, I owned and (drove/driven?) used vehicles. I learned a bit about how they work by necessity, as do many of us. It's noteworthy how much money we can (and cannot) spend on transportation - it seems there is almost a minimum cost to it.
    Also my first! 20 years of many used vehicles for me, and I totally concur the necessity to know how
    they work absolutely helped me on my journey of mechanical knowledge... I now have a never
    ending desire to fill my head with all useful (and non-useful) info I possibly can about the Mirage,
    even though I know I'll most likely never have to turn a serious wrench on it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Stupid car. I want to drive it so much that I look for reasons to go somewhere.

Kind of negates the premise of saving money.