Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 275061
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Tuesday marked five years with Speck. So far so good. It’s doing exactly what I need out of a car and there’s great support from Sunnyside Mitsubishi. Some great features too.

Here’s to many more.
    Mine is 5 years in May! Same thoughts

(blank signature)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Buttery! Neat.

I like how syrup can taste different from small batch maker to maker. My 3 trees give a slightly nutty flavour. My brother's trees make the classic flavour.
    I've seen larger operations (mostly local sugar shacks doing public demonstrations) using a Lot of heat to get a full rolling boil out of a large pan of sap, presumably in order to evaporate as much water as possible. I usually keep my pot just at boiling, sometimes below boiling. I suspect the hotter temperatures might carmelize the sugars and darken the finished product. Not that that's a bad thing. Lighter syrups are usually judged as higher quality, and that's where I usually get that buttery taste. That and not letting the sap sit for too long, getting stagnant before being boiled down. I've tapped silver maples in the past but this year I think I got a sugar maple, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Your Speck looks great.
    Thanks. I should probably post some new pictures but it hasn't changed much, which is nice. One of these days if I find a deal on some Mini rims...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Took Speck to Sunnyside Mitsubishi for an evap code. This is the third time the Service Engine Soon light lit up for this code. The service department will order a new fuel pump & gasket which should be available for installation sometime next week.
    Friday, May 7 Sunnyside Mitsubishi replaced my fuel pump, gasket and lock ring under warranty to address the very small evaporative emission system leak. Took about an hour to do and so far the code hasn't returned. I haven't been driving it much though - with the nicer weather I'll drive my Jeep more and more, and the nicer weather is definitely upon us. I'll have to check the evap system using my OBDLink LX to see how it's doing.

There was a big delay in getting the parts. On top of that, the service manager was out of commission - I think my work got lost in their shuffle. After a phone call to check on the status of things, the parts were found and the appointment was scheduled.

Other than that, Speck hasn't even reached 40,000 miles. Hard to tell how long I'll hold on to it but at this pace I doubt I'll wear it out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Dealer list price of the fuel pump assembly is $836. That's probably a $1000+ repair at the dealer.

Name:  fuel_pump.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  58.4 KB

Was this covered under your 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty or the emissions warranty?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Dealer list price of the fuel pump assembly is $836. That's probably a $1000+ repair at the dealer.

Was this covered under your 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty or the emissions warranty?
    Yes, this work was covered. They didn't say which warranty it was covered under. Symptoms showed before my five-year ownership date so it could be either the five-year or the ten-year. Or it could be some federal seven-year requirement for emissions. Either way, I didn't pay a red cent for this.

Sure hope it doesn't come back.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-17-2021)

I don't really understand how the fuel pump would be the culprit in an EVAP problem. Tank gasket, sure. But if it were that I bet you'd have been occasionally smelling fumes/seepage.

But I'm not an engineer. I just play one on the Internet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I don't really understand how the fuel pump would be the culprit in an EVAP problem.
    One word: plastic

Check out this thread: EVAP code: Busted fuel pump housing fixed!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-17-2021)

Aha!

So that would leak outside the top of the tank. No fumes detected, Eggman?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Aha!

So that would leak outside the top of the tank. No fumes detected, Eggman?
    No fumes were noticed outside or inside. So there's an access hatch under the rear seat that when removed will reveal the fuel pump assembly. Maybe that's why I never smelt anything - it was under that little access plate? I looked over the old fuel pump but didn't notice any big problems - but I didn't look real close at the top of the assembly for any evidence of fuel leaks or discoloration. Missed an opportunity there...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nothing new to report really. I haven’t been driving Speck much during this nicer summer weather. It’s at around 40,000 miles on the odometer.

I like to think that I take care of it but I don’t exactly coddle it either - after all it’s just a car, and mostly a winter beater for how I use it. There hasn’t been any big changes to it (still has the original drivetrain thankfully.) It’s been driven carefully, mostly around town with the occasional road trip.

Still on its original Dunlop Enasaves too, though I had to plug a hole in one last year. I have to add air to it every now and then but the plugged tire still works just fine. The Dunlop Winter Maxx snow tires are holding up great, no problems there. I ought to change the engine oil soon, and there’s a spare set of front brake pads and rotors waiting on the shelf for when the time comes for replacement.

This car really has served its original intent - cheap, reliable transportation. And I’m pretty thankful for that. I got it so I don’t have to wrench on it every other weekend because that’s not really how I want to spend my time anyway.