Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 275186
    Yup, was helping sail a 100 ft. schooner.

Name:  36370198556_b574aa96ae_b.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  100.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's because the TPMS system is a very simple one. Go off at 28 PSI or when a sudden decrease of pressure is noticed.

Luckily, we can easily disable this using etacs decoder if wanted.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tytotheler92 View Post
    Luckily, we can easily disable this using etacs decoder if wanted.
    Are you sure? I thought Vlad said he doesn't do TPMS.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think he just doesn't support it.

I can turn it on and off with the decoder I used to program fogs and cruise.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    25291 miles
    Changed oil & oil filter.
    Installed Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy & Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter.

I really like that Fumoto valve. It makes oil changes very convenient.

I noticed something interesting after doing the oil change. While running the engine to circulate the new oil I took off the oil fill cap to observe the valvetrain. The engine RPM began to oscillate. Once I secured the oil fill cap back in it's place nice and snug, the engine idle smoothed out. Has anyone else noticed this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    While running the engine to circulate the new oil I took off the oil fill cap to observe the valvetrain. The engine RPM began to oscillate. Once I secured the oil fill cap back in it's place nice and snug, the engine idle smoothed out. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Yes, when you remove the oil cap, it opens a vacuum leak into the engine thru the PCV system. Because the cap is off, it isn't a closed system any more & you have introduced unmeasured air into the engine that is not going thru the MAF.... It is the same as a Vacuum leak... Hope this helps...

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-02-2019),Pryme (05-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Yes, when you remove the oil cap, it opens a vacuum leak into the engine thru the PCV system. Because the cap is off, it isn't a closed system any more & you have introduced unmeasured air into the engine that is not going thru the MAF.... It is the same as a Vacuum leak... Hope this helps...

Roger
    Yep, makes sense. I don't recall if anyone else noticed this though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I added a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner with yesterday's fill-up. Thanks stevedmc for the tip.

Speck runs better with 0W-20, contrary to what others here have shared. Cold start valvetrain noise is both quieter and shorter in duration. Regular engine operation is quieter as well. Unless its not available, I'll be sticking with 0W-20 from here on out.

I've also been interested in filters from Champion Labs, the company who makes filters for Mobil 1, among others.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I aired up the tires and took Speck out on the road yesterday - about 300 miles round trip. The odometer is now past 27,000 miles.

Averaged about 60 mpg according to the MID-A computer. Not too shabby, though I doubt it's accuracy today more than usual. I'm hoping some miles like that will help bring my lifetime average back up in this warmer weather as it takes a hit in the winter months.

I am enjoying the heck out of this little car.

P.S.: Now that I've updated my Fuel Economy Log, my suspicions are confirmed as the MID-B calculation for this tank was optimistic by about 5 mpg. It's averaging 2.2 mpg optimistic lifetime. I've noticed larger errors when coasting, though I didn't really do that much coasting on this trip. Go figure.
    Last edited by Eggman; 07-07-2019 at 03:43 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (07-07-2019),Daox (07-18-2019),Fummins (07-17-2019),inuvik (07-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation F.A.S.T. key (KOS) battery replacement

Nearly two years after noticing the first signs, I finally replaced the battery in my F.A.S.T. transponder key. All is well now.

Here's how it went:

1. Upon engine start the dashboard Immobilizer symbol would flash on and off upon reading the transponder code, indicating a low battery condition. I first noticed this in September of 2017. For over 18 months, all other functions worked as expected (lock/unlock doors, engine start.)

2. A few months ago I noticed that I needed to be closer to the door buttons/antennas for the F.A.S.T. system to read the transponder, indicating the signal was getting weaker.

3. Sometimes, especially in the morning when the key hadn't been warmed sitting in my pocket, the key wouldn't be read by the driver's door but would work at the hatch. No big deal. Sometimes it would work at the driver's door if I set the transponder key adjacent to the button and/or push the button using the key. But it would work reliably at the hatch.

4. Then it wouldn't work at all at the door but still would work at the hatch, even in my pocket. It would work reliably in my pocket once inside and sitting on the driver's seat. This would have been a good time to replace the battery.

5. For the past month or so signal strength degraded to intermittent operation when unlocking at the hatch, especially in the mornings. I would sometimes have to use the hardware key to unlock the passenger door, then unlock all doors using the inside button. Not having a security system made this less embarrassing. Enabling an engine start began to work intermittently from my pocket so I would bring the key out of my pocket and move it closer to the antenna located at the center console. It would still always work from the F.A.S.T. key storage in the car's center console.

6. The past two weeks, the key would not work at the doors and needed to be brought closer and closer to the interior antenna in order to allow engine start. The transponder code would not be recieved at either the door or hatch.

7. Yesterday I felt I was lucky to have started the car and get to work in the morning as the only way Speck would start is if the key sat in the antenna location in the center console. It was good to see the immobilizer light flash on the dash once the code was finally acquired. Time to put in that new battery.

So there were Lots of signs along the way of the F.A.S.T. key battery health. Until yesterday I never worried about not being able to use the car and the system worked as described in the Owner's Manual.

I haven't been driving Speck much in this nice weather as it is more of a foul weather / winter beater for me - a special tool for particular jobs if you will. If I had let this little experiment go much longer in between use, may I have been stranded? I was never worried about it until yesterday. In conclusion, I got another 22 months use out of the original F.A.S.T. key battery after noticing a low-battery indication on the dashboard. Other than that, nothing of interest to share.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-18-2019),MetroMPG (07-23-2019)