Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Taevas :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Taevas
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Sapphire Blue
    5-Speed Manual

Was my friend mt999999's first new car, he drove it for 2 months then garaged it. Then I bought it and end up driving for 2 months and garaging it all the same. I may have overpaid but no way was any other 2015 still this pristine.

Salt Free and staying that way!

Details

Sapphire Blue

No Bluetooth, Parcel Shelf, quiet & soft ride

•  

Automatic climate control(manual controls coming to a how to thread near you:Jun 2020) and stock AM/FM/CD/AUX 4-speaker radio

•  

Stock, 1.2 L, 5-speed

•  

Standard Stock with rear swaybar

Stock 14" steel wheels and hubcaps.

•  
    Comments: 24 / Views: 18897
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post

Last weekend it got parked up in my parents huge garage. It was fun but now it's time to enjoy me some Metro's!

There it'll sit likely till next spring. But worry not it has fresh oil and filter, and stabil in the gas. Just curious is it normal to fight with the oil filter for an hour and a half??? Such an inconvenient spot with hardly any room...
    I've done 5 oil/filter changes so far on my Mirage, & I always take the oil filter off from the top. I can stand on the ground, reach down with both hands (one coming in from each side of the radiator hose), & manipulate the oil filter quite easily.

No sure how you have tried doing it or what you have used?

A 14 flute/65mm oil filter socket fits my Purolator ONE oil filters perfectly. I believe that would be the standard size for most oil filters used on the Mirage. If you don't have a oil filter socket, I would pick one up @ a store that sells oil filters. You could pull a new filter that you would use out of a box and make sure you have selected the correct oil filter socket. As long as you have a standard 3/8" ratchet drive you should have no problem removing an oil filter. If my memory serves me right, I also use a short 3" extension bar on the filter socket. These 3" extension bars are usually found in any standard 3/8" ratchet drive set.

I use the oil filter socket when tightening the filter down, too. It's not the most open spot & that makes it hard to twist the oil filter on with any major force with your hand alone. The wrench allows you to snug it up quite easily.

I my case I find myself using the same oil filter socket for a few other pieces of equipment (like my John Deere riding lawnmower & Kawasaki Mule) that I have. I have accumulated an assortment of oil filter sockets over the years. They are relatively cheap & easy to use. I have both the metal & plastic ones in that particular size. I prefer the metals ones, but the plastic one will work, too. You don't need to crank that hard on an oil filter.

I typically remove my oil filter while the oil is draining from the oil pan. It takes about 5 minutes to change an oil filter. I spend more time gathering stuff up (oil, filter, wrenches, oil drain pans, etc...) than changing the oil filter itself.

I know there is a cut out in the plastic on the bottom of the Mirage. It allows you slip a single arm/hand up to the oil filter. I seldom lie on my back to change an oil filter unless I really have too. I don't find doing it from the bottom of the Mirage necessary at all. If I had a car lift like a mechanic, I may do it that way.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Just curious is it normal to fight with the oil filter for an hour and a half??? Such an inconvenient spot with hardly any room...
    Unfortunately, this is completely normal with the factory installed filter. They are put on with an impact gun or something.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark, well I started off as always by hand. Continued struggling with it for an hour. Note this one one of the old style grippy textured yellow Purolators. Could not get it from top or bottom. In several years of changing my oil I've never been unable to get one off by hand, within a minute or two at that. Feeling defeated a grabbed some channel lock pliers, took a few tries to find clearance to use them and, popped a hole in the side of the filter. I stabbed a screwdriver in it as it was fubared now anyways and the force to try to turn it simply started ripping the sheetmetal sides of the filter... Now I called Michael to ask "how tight did you put that on there?". "Well I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't leak". Turns out he had to resort to a screwdriver to get the original filter off. OK, then. Stabbed it with another screwdriver to push against with the first to spread the force a little. That finally did it... Hopefully it had just been on way too tight, it was ridiculous.

If the next one is like that I may have to break down and get a filter wrench. What you said Cobrajet gives me hope it won't come to that .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow it's been more than 7 months it's been parked now.

My '97 Metro has been a super trooper pushing through one last winter on overtime. We are off to a warm start for March so maybe snow and salt season will be completely finished before the end of April for a change. But I'm sure it'll get cold again at least for a week or two still, can't fool a wisconsinite that easy mother nature .

Before my end of May trip to Niagara Falls, ON will I need to address anything other than get the ECU reprogrammed?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Took it to the dealership for the ECU fuel map reprogramming. Didn't ask about the rear axle, at 7000 miles(never yet rotated) the fronts have 6/32 and the rears have 8/32.