Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taevas :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Taevas
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Sapphire Blue
    5-Speed Manual

Was my friend mt999999's first new car, he drove it for 2 months then garaged it. Then I bought it and end up driving for 2 months and garaging it all the same. I may have overpaid but no way was any other 2015 still this pristine.

Salt Free and staying that way!

Details

Sapphire Blue

No Bluetooth, Parcel Shelf, quiet & soft ride

•  

Automatic climate control(manual controls coming to a how to thread near you:Jun 2020) and stock AM/FM/CD/AUX 4-speaker radio

•  

Stock, 1.2 L, 5-speed

•  

Standard Stock with rear swaybar

Stock 14" steel wheels and hubcaps.

•  
    Comments: 24 / Views: 18896
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mt999999 View Post
    Thanks! No major upgrades planned. Maybe minor things, like grabbing a set of the window deflector/awning things so I can vent the windows when it rains, or one of the luggage nets. I have a set of Weather-Tech floor liners on the way for the front seats, and I'll grab the rear ones later. I wish I had the upgraded alloy wheels, the steelies with plastic caps look pretty crappy up close. Perhaps one day I'll run into a set of the alloy ones cheap, and I'll mount snow tires on the steel ones for winter. Can you buy those 14" Mirage alloy wheels?
    Every so often a forum member changes our their set of tires for something else, and puts their old set up for sale. You might be able to find some that way. Also, there are various threads about replacing wheels that might provide some ideas. For example, some thread around here lists other model vehicles with like-sized tires. Browsing scrap yards might get a cheap set for winter use, or even a fancy set for summer.

It's main use will be for trips and part of my commute. My fiancee was not pleased with my airbag-less 1994 Geo Metro for traveling in, especially with our 18 month old daughter.
    Smart move. Amazing how safety features have changed our outlook on driving.

I don't want to beat the crap out of a new car on my 60 mile commute, so I'll likely drive it 2 days a week, and drive the Metro 3 days. The Mirage will have to pick up the slack for the Metro until I repair the drum brakes on the Metro, seeing how they are wore to the point that the parking brake won't hold on a hill, with the parking brake cranked all the way up... Yikes!
    Do you suppose they might simply need adjustment? There is another thread here discussing rear drum brake adjustment... let me look for it.

Here it is: Brake pads worn out at 25K!

The discussion turns to drum brakes around post #81:
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    On the subject of wearing out your front pads prematurely...

Are you guys regularly (at least a couple of times a year) taking off your rear drums and cleaning/adjusting your rear brakes?

My daily driver is a 2009 Pontiac G5 XFE (Chevy Cobalt twin). My car has 175,000 miles on the original brakes. I keep my drum brakes clean and in constant adjustment. The automatic adjusters don't cut it. Every 4-5 months I can always get 5-10 clicks out of the adjusters. I think this has gone a long way in preserving my front brakes. My front pads had about 40% left the last time I checked. My rear brake shoes will probably need to be replaced by 200K miles, but I'm not complaining. Oh...I do drive my car very easily...but about 40% of my driving is still in the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Generally speaking, using the brakes in reverse is supposed to keep them in adjustment. In reality, this really doesn't always work that well...at least in most of the drum brakes I've seen. When my brakes are properly adjusted, I can only pull my e-brake handle up 1-2 clicks. If I can pull my handle up and hear 6-7 clicks, I know it's time for me to adjust them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mt999999 (03-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess MO might be a state where this is required by law. I think he said all the DE models here have it. I guess this is a state by state deal as I see this is listed as an extra on the site.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Do you suppose they might simply need adjustment? There is another thread here discussing rear drum brake adjustment... let me look for it.

Here it is: Brake pads worn out at 25K!

The discussion turns to drum brakes around post #81:
    I considered that, and I still need to look into it. However, they are groaning and grinding like mad, and sound like metal-on-metal. I haven't taken a good look at them, but I've been getting a sound from the rear that sounds like the wheel bearings are totally shot, and it's getting a lot worse. I've heard that severely overheated brakes can damage the bearings, and if it is metal-on-metal, then it all makes sense.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Wow. Well, hopefully, it is something that is easily fixed. In the meantime, enjoy your new car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mt999999 (03-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Congrats on the new Mirage! I love the metalic blue. The loaner I had from Mitsu was that color, very eye catching.

Perhaps one day I'll run into a set of the alloy ones cheap, and I'll mount snow tires on the steel ones for winter. Can you buy those 14" Mirage alloy wheels?
    I'd either post a want to buy in the for sale section, or just wait for someone to swap out wheels and PM them to see if they want to sell their OEMs.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I won't be taking delivery until sometime in spring but I just bought myself a third car here!

photo taken last august

Never seen salt, garage kept all but a month or two of its life and less than 4000 miles.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-31-2019),Eggman (01-31-2019),inuvik (01-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohooo, congrats on the purchase. I'm glad you're actually going to get it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Well The day has come to drive it home! Daox matched the sapphire blue color pretty well

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One of Daox's custom swaybars went on yesterday.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Last weekend it got parked up in my parents huge garage. It was fun but now it's time to enjoy me some Metro's!

There it'll sit likely till next spring. But worry not it has fresh oil and filter, and stabil in the gas. Just curious is it normal to fight with the oil filter for an hour and a half??? Such an inconvenient spot with hardly any room...