Thread: EDR: Event Data Recording

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts

EDR: Event Data Recording

I found this interesting bit of information in the owner's manual that I don't think has been discussed here yet:

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubishi Mirage 2015 Owner's Manual
    Event Data Recording
    This vehicle is equipped with an event data recorder (EDR).
    The main purpose of an EDR is to record, in certain crash or near crash-like situations, such as an airbag deployment or hitting a road obstacle, data that will assist in understanding how a vehicle’s systems performed.
    The EDR is designed to record data related to vehicle dynamics and safety systems for a short period of time, typically 30 seconds or less.
    The EDR in this vehicle is designed to record such data as:
    • How various systems in your vehicle were operating;
    • Whether or not the driver and front passenger safety belts were buckled/fastened;
    • How far (if at all) the driver was depressing the accelerator and/or brake pedal; and,
    • How fast the vehicle was traveling.
    These data can help provide a better understanding of the circumstances in which crashes and injuries occur.

NOTE
    • EDR data are recorded by your vehicle only if a non-trivial crash situation occurs; no data are recorded by the EDR under normal driving conditions and no personal data (e.g., name, gender, age, and crash location) are recorded. However, other parties, such as law enforcement, could combine the EDR data with the type of personally identifying data routinely acquired during a crash investigation.
    To read data recorded by an EDR, special equipment is required, and access to the vehicle or the EDR is needed. In addition to the vehicle manufacturer, other parties, such as law enforcement, that have the special equipment, can read the information if they have access to the vehicle or the EDR.
    This brings up interesting liability concerns.

Any forum members who work for Mitsubishi, especially as technicians: it would be helpful if you could provide some detail as to exactly what data is captured - that is, beyond what is described here. Any additional details would be appreciated.

Be sure to buckle your seatbelts!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-06-2016)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Lets say I'm sitting at a traffic light and a Moron hits me in the rear end. The moron has two people in the car and they all lie and tell the cop I backed into them. The EDR is my only witness as long as the event was recorded. Even if it was not the cop could imply it was and see if the liars recanted their lies. If it did record it they could face pergury charges in court.

In the age of videos and EDRs, liars beware!

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

mohammad (02-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Now I wonder what other model cars have this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think they were recently mandated as a response to the unintended acceleration incidents, to provide absolute proof of the cause NOT being operator error. Also an unimpeachable data collector for accident investigations.

A friend was sitting at a traffic light and the person in front of her backed up into her at low speed, then got out, told my friend she hit the car and tried to extort money from her. MY friend called the cops and the woman left. Later they found out the same person had reported 17 "accidents" in a period of two years. I wonder how many insurance companies paid to fix the same damage and it's felony fraud depending on the damage amount.

regards
    mech
    Last edited by deleted user; 03-06-2016 at 01:26 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    I think they were recently mandated as a response to the unintended acceleration incidents, to provide absolute proof of the cause NOT being operator error. Also an unimpeachable data collector for accident investigations.

A friend was sitting at a traffic light and the person in front of her backed up into her at low speed, then got out, told my friend she hit the car and tried to extort money from her. MY friend called the cops and the woman left. Later they found out the same person had reported 17 "accidents" in a period of two years. I wonder how many insurance companies paid to fix the same damage and it's felony fraud depending on the damage amount.

regards
    mech
    This happens with way too much frequency these days. Which is precisely why I have a dash cam on order.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

uheym (03-06-2016)

I just found this https://mitsubi****echinfo.com/epacarb/MI15-177.pdf For only $6300 you can read event data!

FFS can someone fix the link, I forgot you can't type mitsubishi and tech in together.....
    Last edited by inuvik; 01-31-2020 at 03:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just found this https://mitsubi****echinfo.com/epacarb/MI15-177.pdf For only $6300 you can read event data!

FFS can someone fix the link, I forgot you can't type mitsubishi and tech in together.....
    Yah, tried to manually paste it in still runs afoul of the profanity filter lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-31-2020)