Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fullsize spare for Mirage? 14 inch

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I carry pump and plug kit irregardless, but wouldn't wanna get caught with donut 500mi away from home.
    I'd be more worried about my pump not working 500 miles from home.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I find this to be a very minor issue. I can't even remember the last time I had a flat...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Great. You just jinxed us.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-07-2016)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I remember shredding a tyre on my Mercedes non in stock anywhere as it was a new car Mercedes gave a loan car some 5 hours later I now do not go out unless I have a full size spare.You may never need it but if you do most times a compressor will not pump the tyre up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I wonder if deflated full will fit? Maybe will try on next tire rotation.
    No, it will not. I keep a full-sized spare in the trunk area. Tried both ways, does not fit flat or full. I'm on the road all the time and just have it there for peace of mind. I travel alone, so losing the space in the back isn't a big issue for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MysticMirage For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-08-2016),poorman1 (03-09-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I find this to be a very minor issue. I can't even remember the last time I had a flat...
    3 weeks ago for me. Thursday night, cold and rainy, on my way with my wife and dog for vacation 3 hours away. Got about 30 minutes from home and bam, the tire blew. I put on the spare and then realized that my only option was to turn around and go home. This was the first time I had a flat with one of those idiotic spares. With a normal spare I could've been back on my way, instead I had to turn back. Is it really worth saving a few bucks for that crappy thing? I don't get it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    3 weeks ago for me. Thursday night, cold and rainy, on my way with my wife and dog for vacation 3 hours away. Got about 30 minutes from home and bam, the tire blew. I put on the spare and then realized that my only option was to turn around and go home. This was the first time I had a flat with one of those idiotic spares. With a normal spare I could've been back on my way, instead I had to turn back. Is it really worth saving a few bucks for that crappy thing? I don't get it.
    Whenever I take longer trips with my Mirage, I toss in an extra full size tire. In the summertime, I would use a winter tire. During the winter months, I would toss in one of my summer tires. It's extra insurance, & I usually have the space for it.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I had to fight to get both the donuts included in our used Mirages, slimy dealerships. I could see why they tried to keep them though, Mitsu didnt cheap out on the spare tire, theyre actually of pretty good quality.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I will say this. While those tires are rated to go 60km at 60km/hr or whatever, I know SO MANY people who have run them for 5000km at full speeds.

Don't stress it. Just mount it on the rear, where it's barely seeing a few hundred pounds of weight anyway.

Space saver on an SUV, maybe a bit more risky. Space saver on the rear of a Mirage? Who cares.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-12-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Before the hivemind starts tearing into me, ACTUALLY RESEARCH your spare tire. MOST have a 2500-3000 mile treader rating. They do not blow up at 50.1 miles of use. The primary concern with them is heat, and lack of traction. Heat is not a problem on the back of a Mirage (that isn't one of the ones that left the factory on a Friday afternoon), and the other component of the speed limit and distance is differential wear and tear. Put it on a free wheel like the rear, don't do any drifting, and you'll have no worries on a few hundred mile trek back to civilization.

No, they have no traction. Rock hard compound, skinny and small.

To clarify, I am not advising using them as a tire for a month. But, as somebody who used to check scrap yards for old spare tires to do burnouts in a police car,the fear mongering around them is completely unfounded on a non driven axle that has a couple pounds load on it.

Kuhmo makes a 115 70 r14 that is pretty common as a spare. Ignoring your owners manual, its rated for 75mph and 1350lb, or, 5X the corner weight of the Mirages rear.

I do not have my Mirage at home to check our ratings.

Last edited by nickels; 11-30-2019 at 03:04 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)