Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Fullsize spare for Mirage? 14 inch

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaminado View Post
    Does anybody know if the spare wheel kit comes with jack?
    I don't know if anybody has ordered a "spare wheel kit". All north american Mirages seem to come with a mini-spare in the back with the jack tools tossed on top and the jack is mounted under the drivers seat(LH). Did yours only come with a compressor and can of slime?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Yes! It’s becoming rare a car with spare wheel alt least full size wheel! For example the new Volkswagen Golf it’s said that it’s 100kg lighter than it’s equivalent predecessor…the older had a full size wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't know if anybody has ordered a "spare wheel kit". All north american Mirages seem to come with a mini-spare in the back with the jack tools tossed on top and the jack is mounted under the drivers seat(LH). Did yours only come with a compressor and can of slime?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Yes! ItÂ’s becoming rare a car with spare wheel alt least full size wheel! For example the new Volkswagen Golf itÂ’s said that itÂ’s 100kg lighter than itÂ’s equivalent predecessorÂ…the older had a full size wheel.
    I miss full size spare tires on newer vehicles, too. I really liked the full size spare on my 1st generation Honda CR-V (that was bolted to the rear hatch door). Since it matched the other 4 wheels, I picked up 3 more wheels from a salvage yard. That gave me two sets of wheels (winter/summer) for that vehicle. Unlike my Mirage, I did my best to run the same four types of tires at one time (CR-V or Forester). AWD vehicles sort of require that. TPMS wasn't an issue back then.

My factory Dunlop tires would have been used together in late October to mid-December of 2017 & May-June of 2018 on my Mirage. That's the extent of my matching set of tires. Lost a factory Dunlop to sidewall issue in June of 2018, and my Mirage hasn't seen a matching set of 4 tires since that time.

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    What do you mean about not seeing a matching pair os tires? Diferent tires on each wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I miss full size spare tires on newer vehicles, too. I really liked the full size spare on my 1st generation Honda CR-V (that was bolted to the rear hatch door). Since it matched the other 4 wheels, I picked up 3 more wheels from a salvage yard. That gave me two sets of wheels (winter/summer) for that vehicle. Unlike my Mirage, I did my best to run the same four types of tires at one time (CR-V or Forester). AWD vehicles sort of require that. TPMS wasn't an issue back then.

My factory Dunlop tires would have been used together in late October to mid-December of 2017 & May-June of 2018 on my Mirage. That's the extent of my matching set of tires. Lost a factory Dunlop to sidewall issue in June of 2018, and my Mirage hasn't seen a matching set of 4 tires since that time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What do you mean about not seeing a matching pair os tires? Diferent tires on each wheel?
    I thought I said matching set (4) of tires. My pairs of tires per axle always match.

Dunlop Enasave - worn out on factory rims in my garage
    Nokian Nordman 7 - used up front this past winter
    Federal SS657 - worn out & replaced by Kumho tires listed below
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 - currently on my rear axle
    Kumho Solus TA31 - currently on my front axle

Veredestein Quatrac 5 - will most likely be my next pair of tires purchased, & they will replace the Dunlop pair.

I don't see myself having 4 matching tires on Mirage in the next decade.

Country
    France
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Some pictures of a standard 14" wheel placed in the spare wheel compartment (2015 Mirage).
    Diameter is not a problem, but the wheel height is a bit too much compared to the compartment depth:
    Name:  20240101_121800.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  96.8 KB

Name:  20240101_121809_001.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  95.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zagato For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-01-2024),Dookaughs (01-20-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
    Some pictures of a standard 14" wheel placed in the spare wheel compartment (2015 Mirage).
    Diameter is not a problem, but the wheel height is a bit too much compared to the compartment depth:
    I've been carrying a full size 165/65r14 wheel in my spare wheel well. I cut out a piece of 1/8" hardboard (masonite or whatever you call it) to cover it. The spare wheel supports the center, & I added wooden cleats to the outside to stabilize it. I just flipped the factory rear carpet over it, and you would hardly notice it.

I actually hide a few items (extra serpentine belt, jumper cables, gloves, etc...) under the homemade board.

I feel much better knowing I have a full size spare when taking longer trips. Wider tires would take up even more room.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-02-2024),mohammad (01-02-2024)

I don't know where the thread is that had this pic in it but it was probably another one of those derailed ones... Attachment 26445

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I ordered a full size spare because the 14 inch wheel is pretty hard to come by in rural areas.

Mechanic had to custom fabricate a longer threaded wheel holder because the added height of the full size spare.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    I ordered a full size spare because the 14 inch wheel is pretty hard to come by in rural areas.

Mechanic had to custom fabricate a longer threaded wheel holder because the added height of the full size spare.
    Is that rim steel or aluminum?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)