Thread: Just bought a Mirage LS Sedan 2015

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Just bought a Mirage LS Sedan 2015

Hi everyone!

So I picked up the Mirage LS Sedan 2015 for a good run out price and most of the reviews I read said it had awesome fuel economy and was packed with features but not very high on styling or handling.

5 weeks in, these are my impressions.

The good:
    • Proximity keyless lock/unlock, keyless entry and ignition are awesome
    • Automatic windscreen wiper activation is a little gimmicky but cool
    • Automatic driving light activation is very nice
    • Exterior / interior styling (chrome highlights is nice)
    • High seating position (adjustable seating height, drivers side) is really nice

The average:
    • Very plastic interiors (easy to clean though)
    • Fuel economy ranges from first tank 8.0L/100kms, 2nd tank 7.0/100kms (Mainly city driving). I think this is more the way I am driving the car. But I came from a Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) that was about 16-17L/100kms.
    • The bluetooth handsfree stsyem is a bit clunky but it is a budget vehicle.

The not too sure:
    • I seem to have a very loud air conditioner compressor. When the air con is on, there is a click and then a whirring noise. usually lasts for 10 seconds then there is silence for 15 seconds and then it starts again. Would appreciate any advice as to whether this is normal. Does not occur when air con is turned off.
    • Car struggles up inclines and getting up to speed on the highway, but it is a 3 cyclinder 1.2 litre engine
    • Never really used cruise control and the Sedan does not have it. Everyone tells me this is deal breaker for them, but I use the car mainly as a city runabout so I definately do not miss it.

Overall: Great little car. I am sure fuel economy will improve when I learn to drive a bitmore conservatively. I did have almost an uninterupted run for 20kms one morning with air con turned off and the average fuel economy for that trip was 5.1L/100kms. Not too shabby. Great bang for your buck.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenseidave For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-23-2016),MetroMPG (03-23-2016)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome m8! Are you using a manual or Auto/CVT? I have no problems going up a hill with my CVT, I just speed up before I hit the hill. Or if its really steep I downshift into "B." As for the whirling sound, I don't really know. I don't use the AC much.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The AC sound is normal. The compressor needs to cycle on and off as needed based on the pressure in the system and the amount of cooling required. If it were to run continuously, the system would ice up and become useless.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! Previous posts are spot on your A/C and going up hills. I have the CVT and use "B" quite often in town. The 3A92 motor in the Mirage loves to rev! Don't be afraid to spool up 5000 rpm's. The 3 cyl really comes alive above 4000 rpm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site. Congrats on the new Mirage. Its good to hear you're enjoying it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, kenseidave. Thanks for the review.

You're the second new sedan owner from Australia recently. See:
    Thread: Mirage G4 sedan owner's review / impressions (base trim, 5-speed, 1.2L)

Also, don't forget to make a garage page for yours.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback and warm welcome everyone!

Marklovski: I an driving a Auto/CVT. Yeah I guess when I accelerate I hesitate when I hear the growl of the engine (sounds like it is straining and I don't want to break it. hehe.) I find taking on hills is not an issue normally as long as you are still on a roll but when you are stopped at the lights at the bottom of the hill and then accelerate without "B"..... the first time it was quite frightening.

Thanks for the feedback on the air con noise too. It can be quite disconcerting when sitting at the lights and it is whirring away, but otherwise the engine noise is not too bad.

MetroMPG:haha. I was considering the hatch but all the bells and whistles of the LS Sedan sucked me in. Also the HUGE bootspace which is also a bonus for a sub-compact.

As for fuel economy I think I am resigned to the fact that in constant stop start bad traffic it is not unusual to get up to 9-10L/100kms and on free way 5L/100kms is also achievable. As the majority of my driving will be stop start city driving 7-8L/100kms is realistic I guess. I see a lot of people with what I see as enviable fuel economy figures 4-5L/100kms. I try to keep the rpms below 2000 and and avoid accelerating too quickly from a full stop and try not to brake hard (coast). Other than this I am at a loss of what else I can do. Over Winter I will not be using the air con so that will improve the figures somewhat.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Congratulations and welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Oh another silly question. Is it intentional that there are no backlighting on the automatic transmission so the only way to see what gear you are in when it is dark is to look at the dashboard display? If not I'll need to have a chat to the dealership to get this fixed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kenseidave View Post
    Oh another silly question. Is it intentional that there are no backlighting on the automatic transmission so the only way to see what gear you are in when it is dark is to look at the dashboard display? If not I'll need to have a chat to the dealership to get this fixed.
    Should have backlighting (at least US models do).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)