Thread: How do you fix scuffs/scrapes?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How do you fix scuffs/scrapes?

I was backing into my yard this morning, and I accidentally bumped into a bench and scraped my car. It's not major, but she's only three weeks old, and it kind of bothers me. I tried to cover it up to little avail. Do I have to take her to a detailing shop or the dealer to fix it? I can leave it there as a battle scar, but this is my first real car, and I want her to be pristine. I'm including some pictures of the damage. It's on the back bumper, below the left tail light.
    Name:  DSCN2854.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  83.6 KB
    Name:  DSCN2853.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  91.9 KB

Last edited by Bernadine; 03-21-2015 at 12:01 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'd recommend checking this out:

Charlie's Experience With Touching Up Paint Scratches

The results were very good.

Being on an outside edge, it'll probably be harder to deal with, but it definitely can be done.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll try that if I can get the supplies tomorrow or sometime this week. I'll post results if it's successful.

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Here is what to do... Clean the area, then use some degreaser, buy touch up paint from dealer(mitsu of course) and paint it with base ande then clear, you are good to go. If you dont want to do this, pay a proffesional to do his job . But I know how you feel about it, hope you will get her fixed somehow, good luck . I might be too late with this post but wanted to share

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agree with the touch up paint. 2 months after I bought my Saturn new in 1998, an old guy in a huge car scraped about a nickel-sized chunk of paint off my bumper. Estimate was like $400 to remove, strip, and repaint the bumper. Rather than deal with the hassle of insurance and being without the car for a couple days, I bought a thing of Saturn touch up paint from the dealer. Touched it up (never bothered with clear coat). I certainly could have done a nicer/cleaner job than I did (sanding out the edges, etc), but when I sold the car a couple months ago (17 *years* later!), the touch up paint still looked good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Try some wax first, then fine compound and wax. Might clean up nice without anything else.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Any updates on this? Did you get it fixed?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-08-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    Try some wax first, then fine compound and wax. Might clean up nice without anything else.

regards
    mech
    correct, but why not buying the touch up paint and paint it gently. By the time it dries he can use some wax with abrasive compound in it... it will look much better

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)