Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY: How to install a dashcam (hard wired to the Fuse box)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    When planning a wire run, use gravity to your advantage. If you can, pull down instead of push up.
    Good idea if you are buying a separate wiring harness like the OP. Impossible if you are going to hard wire the original power cord with the cigarette plug intact.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When using the $9.99 hard-wire kit.......the power brick (square) was too large to fit thru the dashboard so fishing just the the wire with the microUSB head was the only way to go. It wasnt too hard using the cardboard bottom of a clothes hanger and I assume its something almost everyone can acquire for free (out of their own closet).

Best thing is that when you are done you can put the hanger back together and continue to use it. You can also use the rod from window blinds to accomplish this task (or cut a 1/2 inch strip of hard cardboard such as from an empty pizza box)

@Cobrajet: I examined that approach of using the cigarette lighter socket thingee but could not find enough information online on how to pull it off accurately and some of the people where saying I would have to solder a connection and I sure as heck wasnt about to pull the old soldering iron out. I try to avoid soldering as much as possible, I stink at soldering, its old fashioned and too time consuming in most applications.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    @Cobrajet: I examined that approach of using the cigarette lighter socket thingee but could not find enough information online on how to pull it off accurately and some of the people where saying I would have to solder a connection and I sure as heck wasnt about to pull the old soldering iron out. I try to avoid soldering as much as possible, I stink at soldering, its old fashioned and too time consuming in most applications.
    No soldering necessary. The cigarette lighter socket has two leads...red and black. Crimp the red lead into the butt connector that comes on the Add-A-Fuse, ground the black lead with a ring terminal, alligator clip, etc. Plug the Add-A-Fuse into the circuit block. That's it. Instant lighter socket.

Easy peasy...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    No soldering necessary. The cigarette lighter socket has two leads...red and black. Crimp the red lead into the butt connector that comes on the Add-A-Fuse, ground the black lead with a ring terminal, alligator clip, etc. Plug the Add-A-Fuse into the circuit block. That's it. Instant lighter socket.

Easy peasy...
    You mean like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Cigare...2H99EE02PDZ72D

Thats all you need? I thought it needed something to regulate the voltage down to 5v
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I don't have mine hard wired but I bought a multi-plug w/usb to provide power. Other than the goofy "jewels" on the top of it, I picked this particular one because you can rotate the plug 90 degrees down so everything is out of your way.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  97.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (03-13-2016)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I would like to have one of these Mini cams, if i get one for birthday or i can find one cheap enough
    https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0805/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to uheym For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uheym View Post
    I would like to have one of these Mini cams, if i get one for birthday or i can find one cheap enough
    https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0805/
    Wow that's small. Thanks for posting this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On sale right now for $26.66 USD. Free shipping

http://s.aliexpress.com/FBf6Z7zy
    Last edited by inuvik; 03-12-2016 at 10:18 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    On sale right now for $25 USD

http://s.aliexpress.com/FBf6Z7zy
    Man, that's cheap.

You know, I'd like to get a 4-camera dvr with gps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Man, that's cheap.

You know, I'd like to get a 4-camera dvr with gps.
    They make security cam setups that are pretty compact and inexpensive. With a small 120v inverter you could mount the DVR under the passenger seat or in the spare tire well if you pulled out the tire. Probably have to replace the regular hard drive with a SSD due to vibration though.