Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: How to install a dashcam (hard wired to the Fuse box)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

DIY: How to install a dashcam (hard wired to the Fuse box)

How to install a dashcam (hard wired to the Fuse box)

YouTube video here:

https://youtu.be/SDbbVHopKvo

The following items are used:

GoSafe260 GS260-US GoSafe 260 Full HD 1080P Rear-view Mirror Mount Dashcam with 2.7" Display (Black) $99.99

http://www.amazon.com/GoSafe260-GS26...eywords=gosafe

iSaddle On-Dash Camera Vehicle Hard Wire Kit $9.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Lumision FAST Shipping* ADD CIRCUIT BLADE STYLE APS ATT LOW PROFILE LP MINI FUSETAP FUSE TAP + 5AMP FUSE $6.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

1.25 in. Non-Insulated Alligator Clips (4-Pack) $2.19

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Elec...-1-4/205878595
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Written Instructions (See YouTuBe video for a complete step by step walk-thru):

1) Remove passenger fuse box compartment cover on lower left side (Just above the ODB2 port)
    2) Remove fuse #12 (a blue 15 amp fuse that controls the rear windshield wiper) Note: This will turn off power to the Dashcam whenever the door is closed and you are not sitting inside the car. If you want the dashcam to be always active and using motion sensor whenever anybody walk by then you will have to select a different fuse to tap into. (Not Recommended)
    3) Pop out the side panel along the windshield (Do not remove it entirely, just pop it out and leave it hanging
    4) Fish the Mini Usb power cable up thru the dashboard, connect it to the camera that is mounted on the rearview mirror.
    5) Run the cable along the edge of the trim and down, behind the side panel. Snap the side panel back into place.
    6) Place a 5 amp fuse into the add-a-fuse tap in addition to the original 15 amp fuse. Crimp the add-a-fuse tap onto the Hard Wire Kit power cord. Ground the black wire lead onto bare-metal (wrap around a bolt or use alligator clip)
    7) Connect the add-a-fuse tap into the fuse block
    8) Put the fuse box cover back on.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-11-2016),Eggman (03-10-2016),MetroMPG (11-07-2016),mohammad (11-01-2021),MysticMirage (03-11-2016),spork (03-11-2016)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Now I saw the video, looks good and it's a nice write up!
    I thinking to buy one my self some time and but wanna wait for my birthday
    Last edited by uheym; 03-10-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Thank you for posting this video. I enjoyed watching it (and won't get that fuse tap...)

"No, no, no."

PS don't forget to call Dental Cleaning. LOL
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-10-2016 at 08:10 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (03-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I recommend anyone and everyone to purchase and install a dashcam. Should you ever get in an accident that was not your fault or run over somebody that jumped out in front of your car......the camera will be the only proof that will clear your name.

Someone could sue you for every penny you got or put you in prison for manslaughter and the dashcam will be your only salvation. Sometimes police or bystanders will lie and you could have your entire life ruined should you run over a child for example.

Now that good cameras can be had for $99 and less, make this investment and protect yourself from the drunks and con-men that cause accidents on purpose or the distracted ladies texting while they slam right into you.

And remember this advice:

Should you get in an accident (even if you dont think you caused it) then the first thing you do is grab the dashcam and hide it under your seat. Do not tell police or anybody else that you own a dashcam and had it running. Go thru the accident procedure of exchanging insurance and so forth. Do not admit to anything, say "I just dont remember, it all happened so fast"

Then afterwards in the privacy of your home review the footage. Because if you are the one that caused the accident then the last thing you want is for your own dashcam to be used against you. After reviewing the footage, if the footage helps your case then you can produce the camera and send the tape to insurance company, your lawyer and so forth.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Good advice these days. I just got a dash cam. Very small and compact. Seems to take decent video. Has to be powered via USB. Battery only seems to be to keep date & time current. Had a 32GB Class 10 micro SD card sitting around so I figured "What the heck, Why not?"

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-7-M...601952531.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Good advice these days. I just got a dash cam. Very small and compact. Seems to take decent video. Has to be powered via USB. Battery only seems to be to keep date & time current. Had a 32GB Class 10 micro SD card sitting around so I figured "What the heck, Why not?"

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-7-M...601952531.html
    Good job!

I recommend you to hard-wire it the way I did on my tutorial, This way your lone USB port in the front can be kept free for charging your cellphone

I decided to get a camera that integrates with the rearview mirror, most crooks will walk right by it and not see it so it reduces the chance of a break-in

I have also considered to tint the windows the way I always have in my previous cars ($80 cost) but so far I have not done it

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    "Focus, Daniel-san.." That was awesome. Great video!

I installed my dashcam and GPS at the same time. The dashcam is under the mirror, the GPS is in the top left corner of the windshield. I did a couple things differently just because I was using a different camera.

-Most dashcams will come with a cord that has a cigarette plug. What I did was just add a female cigarette lighter socket behind the dash, like this one, also using an Add-A-Fuse adapter as shown in the video:

Name:  71M7CBWTcNL.jpg
Views: 2258
Size:  10.4 KB

Then you feed the factory cord up through the A-pillar and the headliner (as shown), and you don't have to buy a separate wiring harness. With the cigarette plug under the dash, you just plug it into your new socket. It's also worth noting that not all of the factory cigarette lighter adapters found on GPS units, dash cams, etc are 12v in/12v out. Sometimes there are electronics inside the plug that step the voltage that the unit receives from 12 volts down to 6 volts, 1 volt, or even millivolts. So giving the unit 12v directly can sometimes fry things. Ask me how I know...

I added a second one for the GPS, and installed it the same way.

-Instead of 'fishing' the cord up, you can just pull off the weatherstripping between the door and the dash. That makes it easier to get the wire up through the A-pillar.

Nicely done!
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 03-11-2016 at 05:54 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

fc321 (03-11-2016),strawboss (11-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Ask me how I know...
    Peanut gallery asks: How do you know??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Instead of 'fishing' the cord up, you can just pull off the weatherstripping between the door and the dash. That makes it easier to get the wire up through the A-pillar.
    When planning a wire run, use gravity to your advantage. If you can, pull down instead of push up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Peanut gallery asks: How do you know??
    I cut the plug off of a rechargeable spotlight cord to hardwire it...and fried the spotlight.