Thread: Seat belt chime disable?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Seat belt chime disable?

I live on a 1/2 mile gravel driveway and creep out to my gate which I must unlock and open. I never have worn my seatbelt when heading out or returning that last half mile until the Mirage. It dings/chimes and annoys the crap out of you if you don't have your seat belt on. I know this is the idea and I wear my seat belt but when I am going 5 mph on my own property, I don't want to have to bother to shut this up.

Is there an easy way to cut or jumper a wire and disable this "feature"? I figure there is a pressure sensor and by just jumpering the wire, I can turn this off. Is this the case or would I mess up the airbags, etc. by doing this? This is one thing I don't like about these vs. the Geo Metro but I love this car overall.

Conor

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I think it should possible to do it with the jumpering / wire.. But haven't done this myself, because it's no big deal for me.
    Otherwise i think it's possible to turn it off in the ECU, but here you have to go to the dealer and talk with them..
    Maybe someone outthere has tried to jump / wire the seat sensor, so i dosen't say anything more ?

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    You can buy something like this to stop it:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plastic-A...0AAOSwAYtWMqwX

Then when you get to putting on the belt, just remove it and plug the buckle in

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mistah JT For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Remote controlled electric (solar) gate

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    There is a switch in the seat belt clip. You'll have to do one of two things to disable it:

1) cut or disconnect one of the two wires
    2) cut or disconnect both wires and connect them to each other

Doing this will completely disable the seat belt warning and will make the vehicle act as if there is always a seat belt clipped in.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK, that is more along the lines of something I would do. If I am going to go to the trouble of inserting a dummy spacer, then I am going to just wear the belt on the short trip. I assume that jumpering the wires in that switch is all that needs to be done.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    There is likely a plug under the seat so you can easily remove it. I'd unplug the connector and see if that works (probably won't). If it doesn't, just make a jumper that jams in the connector and you should be good. Then tape it up so it doesn't get corroded.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will look for a plug but I also suspect it may be like a harness for this and the airbags in the seats as well. I would rather not mess with this. On the Geo Metro, sure, but if I see a harness with more than two connectors, I will leave it alone. I hear stories about airbags going off. I guess you want to unhook the battery and put the key in the run position for like a day to discharge them first. Messing with the switch sounds best.

Conor

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    There is a switch in the seat belt clip. You'll have to do one of two things to disable it:

1) cut or disconnect one of the two wires
    2) cut or disconnect both wires and connect them to each other

Doing this will completely disable the seat belt warning and will make the vehicle act as if there is always a seat belt clipped in.
    I dont know about our particular vehicles but in some ****boxes if the car thinks the seatbelt sensor is broken i.e always thinks its buckled or unbuckled it will disable the airbag system and keep the airbag light on. As you dont want airbags to deploy if you aren't wearing a seatbelt.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (06-02-2022)