Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: MDC POWER GERMANY makes the mirage engine?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Denver
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    My thoughts on it, are that MDC probably was involved with the design. Mitsubishi builds it in Thailand I believe. The German relationship makes a little sense since the engine was used in the Smart fourfour - I am sure they had a small amount of input.



  2. #12
    Senior Member satria_wr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Jakarta
    Country
    Indonesia
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 101 Times in 56 Posts
    So we can use smart forfour performance parts,...
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


  3. #13
    Has this "Mirage engines are built in Germany" thing been debunked? I can't see a company building engines in Germany then shipping them over to Thailand to install into cheap cars. I saw a comment on the lubetubes mentioning this and my bs meter went to 90%.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,730
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 678 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Has this "Mirage engines are built in Germany" thing been debunked? I can't see a company building engines in Germany then shipping them over to Thailand to install into cheap cars. I saw a comment on the lubetubes mentioning this and my bs meter went to 90%.



    The MDC factory in Kölleda was built in 2002/2003 as a 50:50 joint venture between Mitsubishi Motors and DaimlerChrysler. DaimlerChrysler was the conglomerate joining Daimler (Mercedes-Benz / Daimler) and Chrysler. Some years on, the Chrysler and Daimler organization "divorced" and became the two well-known organizations again. in 2006 DaimlerChrysler took over the Mitsubishi share of this factory.

    The SMART organization had long before been taken over by Daimler. In the Kölleda plant, Daimler together with Chrysler developed and constructed 1.1, 1.3 and 1.5L engines for SMART, Daimler (Mercedes-Benz) and Mitsubishi. The 3A91 engine for example was developed for SMART, but their organization called it by a different name. I think something like M321 or so? Today's 3A90 and 3A92 engines are very similar to the 3A91 and they also look very much alike. A similar four cylinder engine was built into the European Mitsubishi Colt, but three cylinder versions also existed. Three and four cylinder versions were built in Kölleda for the European and Japanese versions of the Mitsubishi Colt, and various asian versions of the Mitsubishi Lancer, and the Smart ForFour up to 2006.

    Today Kölleda designs and produces Daimler (Mercedes-Benz) car and small truck engines. About one in two Mercedes engines it built there. After 2006 the 3A90 and 3A92 engines were made by Mitsubishi, albeit with numerous smaller modifications, mostly for better fuel economy.
    For example, the SMART ForFour with the 3A91 engine uses much more fuel than the similar sized Mirage in all of its versions.

    Since this engine series is comprised of very similar engines, they also share numerous parts, much more than just the water pump, head gasket, timing chain, etc.
    Since Mitsubishi is one of the world's most inovative electronics and particularly car-electronics makers, they include unusually elaborate and advanced electronics in their own engine designs. This ensures good fuel economy.

  5. #15
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    10,243
    Thanks
    4,070
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The MDC factory in Kölleda was built in 2002/2003 as a 50:50 joint venture between Mitsubishi Motors and DaimlerChrysler. DaimlerChrysler was the conglomerate joining Daimler (Mercedes-Benz / Daimler) and Chrysler. Some years on, the Chrysler and Daimler organization "divorced" and became the two well-known organizations again. in 2006 DaimlerChrysler took over the Mitsubishi share of this factory.

    The SMART organization had long before been taken over by Daimler. In the Kölleda plant, Daimler together with Chrysler developed and constructed 1.1, 1.3 and 1.5L engines for SMART, Daimler (Mercedes-Benz) and Mitsubishi. The 3A91 engine for example was developed for SMART, but their organization called it by a different name. I think something like M321 or so? Today's 3A90 and 3A92 engines are very similar to the 3A91 and they also look very much alike. A similar four cylinder engine was built into the European Mitsubishi Colt, but three cylinder versions also existed. Three and four cylinder versions were built in Kölleda for the European and Japanese versions of the Mitsubishi Colt, and various asian versions of the Mitsubishi Lancer, and the Smart ForFour up to 2006.

    Today Kölleda designs and produces Daimler (Mercedes-Benz) car and small truck engines. About one in two Mercedes engines it built there. After 2006 the 3A90 and 3A92 engines were made by Mitsubishi, albeit with numerous smaller modifications, mostly for better fuel economy.
    For example, the SMART ForFour with the 3A91 engine uses much more fuel than the similar sized Mirage in all of its versions.

    Since this engine series is comprised of very similar engines, they also share numerous parts, much more than just the water pump, head gasket, timing chain, etc.
    Since Mitsubishi is one of the world's most inovative electronics and particularly car-electronics makers, they include unusually elaborate and advanced electronics in their own engine designs. This ensures good fuel economy.
    Ok, but where is the 3A92 made? I thought it was made in Laem Chabang.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-02-2024 at 09:05 AM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

    inuvik (04-02-2024)

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,730
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 678 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Three and four cylinder versions were built in Kölleda for the European and Japanese versions of the Mitsubishi Colt, and various asian versions of the Mitsubishi Lancer, and the Smart ForFour up to 2006.
    As it says, after 2006 they didn't make any more as Mitsubishi. Laem Chabang would be a probable source.

    Btw, Kölleda pioneered something called High Pressure Die-Cast Technology, HPDCT.
    This enabled enormous gains in intricacy and precision. Without, modern style engine blocks, cylinderheads, etc would not be possible. The 3Axx engines were amongst the very first made that way.
    Last edited by foama; 04-02-2024 at 02:30 PM.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

    BigMW (04-02-2024),Fummins (04-02-2024),inuvik (04-02-2024)

  9. #17
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    10,243
    Thanks
    4,070
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    As it says, after 2006 they didn't make any more as Mitsubishi. Laem Chabang would be a probable source.

    Btw, Kölleda pioneered something called High Pressure Die-Cast Technology, HPDCT.
    This enabled enormous gains in intricacy and precision. Without, modern style engine blocks, cylinderheads, etc would not be possible. The 3Axx engines were amongst the very first made that way.
    I'd like to learn more about Daimler's developments with HPDCT but couldn't find anything referring to MDC and/or Kölleda regarding HPDCT.

    Do you have any links for this?

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)


  10. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,730
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 678 Posts
    Sorry, don't have any links for that. Much is regarded as common knowledge if you talk to factory workers, and there are many around. HPDCT or HPDC was bleeding edge technology when Kölleda was being built in 2003. Today HDPC is common in many industries in all parts of the world, and very much so in China (Mindwell, etc).
    Carl Benz built the first horseless carriage in his initial workshop in the old inner city of Mannheim, the first Benz factory was right by the bank of the Neckar river in the nearby old Roman town of Ladenburg. Stuttgart and Sindelfingen are also by the Neckar, just like Neckarsulm (NSU, Audi). There are plenty of Daimler factories in just about every direction from here, many of them within hiking distance. Kölleda is an exception, being founded in the formerly poverty-stricken eastern state of Thuringia. Meanwhile they added new factories in Arnstadt, not far from Kölleda, and make innovative 4 and 6 cylinder engines by the millions and millions. Automotive news spreads quickly by mouth in these parts...



  11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

    Fummins (04-03-2024)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •