Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not very happy with my new Mirage purchase. (Mostly the ride quality)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles2 View Post
    Now I am looking forward to this weekend so I can take it on some curves.
    Mid Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by itsonme View Post
    In fairness to the Mirage, I have had neck and back problems in the past due to a Motorcycle accident. Also, screws in my wrist, knee and shoulder.
    Whoa. Bionic man.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm 6'3". The way you're sitting might be the problem. I'm an ectomorph so my legs and arms are long af. Not sure if you're trying to do a full stretch. Your arms and legs will always be a little bent in a proper seating position.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Original Poster,

I am sorry to hear about your regret concerning the decision to purchase a Mirage ES Manual

I can tell you that I have had the car almost 3 weeks and I was concerned about some lower back pain that I was experiencing. But as somebody else just pointed out It may take some days for our back to acclimate to the new seat.

I have not noticed the discomfort lately so I feel that my back is getting accustomed to the seats and I am confident that it will not be a permanent phenomenon (the lower back discomfort).

THere is always an element of risk involved in a new car purchase......this car in particular was impossible for me to rent (nobody offered it as a rental) and certainly not in a stickshift (that would be UNHEARD of in FLorida).

I did take alot of the feedback and good recommendations that I read on KBB as well as on this forum and was actively reading and asking questions on this same forum prior to buying the car. And I am glad I did because I knew what to expect from the experiences of others and how they discussed the good and the bad about the car.

It worked out well for me.....I am very happy with the car. There are a couple of things that I dont like such as the fact that in first gear the torque is very slow and It makes me lack confidence to jump out into traffic when pulling out of a shopping centre. THis is a bad thing (and also a good thing because it is a high risk manuver to spring out into a busy street with cars going over 45 mph and could result in a bad car accident if I do not time it correctly).

But I do not like

* the slow torque in first and second gear
    * the notchiness of the gearbox going into 2nd gear
    * No pause button on the radio when listening to USB audiobook
    * The lower back does not feel good on long drives
    * THe windshield wiper controls are complicated (especially the rear wiper)
    * THe tachometer and trip computer/ mpg indicator are cumbersome to operate
    * The brakes are not as good as other cars in the same class
    * THe air conditioner is cumbersome with all the digital controls and I would prefer just old fashioned dials like other cars use
    * THe door locks do not lock themselves when you get in and it could make you a victim of carjacking

But the list of dislikes are petty little things and there is alot more that I like than things to complain about (for me). In fact I would say I like the car 95% and disapprove 5%.

The dealer is obviously going to try to screw you. You may be able to take a $1000 hit and sell it privately if you can afford to put in the cash to cover the "GAP" between what you paid at the dealership and what an individual is willing to pay.

You can try to put an Ad of craigslist that you are looking for someone to "take over payments"

But the most practical advice is to just give the car another chance (for 2 more weeks) and see if you can live with the bad things that you dislike about the car. Help me to understand in order of importance what are the things you dislike the most about the car?

Update: In regards to the seats not going back enough you can take the car to a welding shop and see if they cant modify the brackets to give you an extra 6 inches (maybe weld some more metal to the end of the tracks to allow the seat to roll back farther. THe seats are generally held in by 4 bolts (Torx head M50 would be my guess)
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Original Poster,

I am sorry to hear about your regret concerning the decision to purchase a Mirage ES Manual

I can tell you that I have had the car almost 3 weeks and I was concerned about some lower back pain that I was experiencing. But as somebody else just pointed out It may take some days for our back to acclimate to the new seat.

I have not noticed the discomfort lately so I feel that my back is getting accustomed to the seats and I am confident that it will not be a permanent phenomenon (the lower back discomfort).

THere is always an element of risk involved in a new car purchase......this car in particular was impossible for me to rent (nobody offered it as a rental) and certainly not in a stickshift (that would be UNHEARD of in FLorida).

I did take alot of the feedback and good recommendations that I read on KBB as well as on this forum and was actively reading and asking questions on this same forum prior to buying the car. And I am glad I did because I knew what to expect from the experiences of others and how they discussed the good and the bad about the car.

It worked out well for me.....I am very happy with the car. There are a couple of things that I dont like such as the fact that in first gear the torque is very slow and It makes me lack confidence to jump out into traffic when pulling out of a shopping centre. THis is a bad thing (and also a good thing because it is a high risk manuver to spring out into a busy street with cars going over 45 mph and could result in a bad car accident if I do not time it correctly).

But I do not like

* the slow torque in first and second gear
    * the notchiness of the gearbox going into 2nd gear
    * No pause button on the radio when listening to USB audiobook
    * The lower back does not feel good on long drives
    * THe windshield wiper controls are complicated (especially the rear wiper)
    * THe tachometer and trip computer/ mpg indicator are cumbersome to operate
    * The brakes are not as good as other cars in the same class
    * THe air conditioner is cumbersome with all the digital controls and I would prefer just old fashioned dials like other cars use
    * THe door locks do not lock themselves when you get in and it could make you a victim of carjacking

But the list of dislikes are petty little things and there is alot more that I like than things to complain about (for me). In fact I would say I like the car 95% and disapprove 5%.

The dealer is obviously going to try to screw you. You may be able to take a $1000 hit and sell it privately if you can afford to put in the cash to cover the "GAP" between what you paid at the dealership and what an individual is willing to pay.

You can try to put an Ad of craigslist that you are looking for someone to "take over payments"

But the most practical advice is to just give the car another chance (for 2 more weeks) and see if you can live with the bad things that you dislike about the car. Help me to understand in order of importance what are the things you dislike the most about the car?

Update: In regards to the seats not going back enough you can take the car to a welding shop and see if they cant modify the brackets to give you an extra 6 inches (maybe weld some more metal to the end of the tracks to allow the seat to roll back farther. THe seats are generally held in by 4 bolts (Torx head M50 would be my guess)
    2 gear notchiness = give some more miles to break in

you can lock the doors by locking driver side will lock every door(is car jacking really a big problem in US)

I have acually not had any problems operating wipers nor rear wiper(they are easy af, you will get used to it... I have the wipers with auto control though

Automatic climate control is really a banana to use, put on auto, job done

Not trying to be rude, just my opinion

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleartec For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (03-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice! I have NOT heard from the dealer. I am not surprised. I also haven't made any attempt to contact them. I'm not sure I want to know the "offer" I really am not sure what I am going to do. I'm frugal, that's why I bought the car. The thought of losing a couple k on a car I have had for less than a week isn't appealing.

A couple people have made reference to my comment about wishing the seat could go further back. I am 6ft 200 lbs. I have the seat back as far as it can go and I can easily put my feet past the pedals and onto the floor behind them. This isn't an optimal driving position for me with the clutch.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Attachment 5441

look for yourself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itsonme View Post
    Thanks for all the advice to make the car more enjoyable for myself! I'm frugal, that's why I bought the car. The thought of losing a couple k on a car I have had for less than a week isn't appealing.
    Frugal, I think that's the best adjective to describe the Mirage. Having owned a bunch of Metro's in the past I think the Mirage is light years ahead of it. What about raising the seat base with the knob to change the position? I thought it was a little cramped too at first but adjusting the steering wheel all the way up made it much better (at least for me).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been driving a stick for the past 7-8 years. I like to stretch my legs out to the pedals. I didn't really notice it was going to be an issue until my two hour drive. I'm sure it can be modified.

I looked at Edmunds trade in value for my car. It was like 8k. I have thought about trying to sell it privately, I think that wont be easy.

If anyone is interested in a Mirage with 230 miles, and just a few days old now would be a good time to speak up...lol.

Look, if I could just take a 1500.00 hit I would do it. Anymore and I struggle with the idea. Maybe the car will grow on me. Once I get over it, I will be looking to add the rear sway bar to start.

There are a lot of things I like about the car, the keyless entry, start, cruise, MPG, it is more roomy inside than it looks, I like the purr of the engine, the clutch is effortless, and when going straight on a nice road the ride is awesome.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Attachment 5442

You know I will leave the Harley plate on there too!...lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You must have the longest legs of any six footer on the planet... I am 6' and I can put the seat back all the way and cant reach the pedals... I am thoroughly confused.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)