Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not very happy with my new Mirage purchase. (Mostly the ride quality)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Not very happy with my new Mirage purchase. (Mostly the ride quality)

I read a lot of reviews online before I decided to buy a Mirage. The 3,500.00 rebate was too enticing for me to pass up.

I bought a 2015 5 speed ES, out the door was $11,123.00 Total, taxes,tags, dealer fees, etc.

I understand this is going to step on some toes seeing how I am in a Mirage forum, but it is just my opinion. I hate the cars ride. I am sorry but I do. I have less than 300 miles on the car. Last night I drove the car on a trip that took about two hours one way. By the time I got there my neck and back hurt. The cars ride just doesn't agree with me. I also think I'm a little too tall at 6ft. I cannot stretch my legs out on the pedals.

I read so many reviews from people loving this car (actual owners) that played a huge part in deciding to buy one. I haven't had the car a week (today actually makes day 4) and I really hate it. I called the dealership up today and expressed my dissatisfaction. I am supposed to get a call from "management" tomorrow. I am not willing to take more than a 2k loss on a trade in on another vehicle, so I am assuming the Mirage is going to be mine to keep.

On a positive note. I averaged 44.5 MPG. I was on the interstate for awhile, and had no problems. Although, I still remember feeling the car sway when two semis passed me. I also went up very steep hills, with no problem. Someone made a comment somewhere about engine noise on the freeway with a 5 speed. this is my experience, but the radio did drown most of it out.

I have also noticed what I will describe as a "looseness" on curves.

If the Mirage lovers can forgive me for my honest thoughts about the car I just bought, I have some questions. Will the rear sway bar help with performance on curves? Do you think the drivers seat can be moved back? I have looked and there isn't a lot of room on the front brace that the bolts go in, and even less on the back brace. I would need to move the seat back about 4-6 inches, and those 4- 6 inches would take the seat off of both of the braces it attaches to.

I think this would be a great city car, if I still lived in Philadelphia, it would be awesome. But, having moved to West Va and thinking this car would be great to make the 465 mile one way trips to Philly and saving money on gas was just wrong. After a two hour drive in the car last night, I couldn't imagine an 8 hour drive to Philly.

If anyone cares to know, I will let you know what the dealer will offer me on my 4 day old car with 260 ish miles on it. Ugggg,
    Peace.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itsonme For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (03-17-2016),Eggman (03-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the same model. I'm a little confused though, as I am 6'2" and have more than enough seat adjustment. In fact with the seat slid all the way back I have trouble adequately operating the pedals.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe I am all legs, I don't know. I do know that I cannot straighten my legs out fully. I have the seat all the way back and I still would like at least 4 more inches so I could fully extend my legs to the pedals instead of feeling "cramped"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    A rear sway bar will make a world of difference in the way the car handles for sure. Much of the issues of feeling loose in the curves is a combination of soft springs, narrow rims & Low Rolling Resistance tires. Since you have the ES I'm assuming you have the seat base adjusted all the way down and the steering wheel adjusted all the way up. I'm 5'11" and don't find the seating cramped. I have seat heaters installed on mine and it makes a huge difference on longer trips. To be able to get some heat on my butt and lower back makes longer drives not bad at all. I've driven a 900 mile day before and although tired, I wasn't any more fatigued than 900 miles in my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

Well, the Mirage isn't for everyone for sure. It's not a car that's designed to be driven rapidly or aggressively. I never go faster than 65, most of the time about 60. Just not in that big of a hurry to get anywhere. I just set the cruise control and roll along. But the Mirage is very economical and reliable. I'm telling you though, seat heaters are the bomb for making longer trips ok.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-17-2016),mitsumi (03-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe you should look at some seat cushions or pads. Something to help you in that seat position. I havent had a problem with the way the seat is but everyone is not the same. I had a GMC truck that gave me the same back problems after an hour drive. So I know where your coming from. Shop the local Auto stores. Maybe you could find something to help.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Not sure how old you are, but at 41 it always takes my back a little while to 'acclimatize' to a new car...and my Mirage was no exception. After a couple weeks I found the seat to be very comfy, and it has been ever since. The driver's seat on the ES is a little strange....only the BOTTOM of the seat raises and lowers, so that has an effect on what position the back of the seat winds up in. You might try raising it or lowering it to see if you can find a position that is more comfortable.

That being said, the Mirage really is a city car and not a road trip car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Briefly,
    1. Lots of owners here are enthusiasts, it's true. Many here appreciate the economy of the design, both purchase price and in ownership.
    2. Some here report improved handling with a rear sway bar. I recently bought my ES, but have no plans for a sway bar.
    3. Some here have replaced their rear springs with positive results. Some have done both spring swap and sway bar.
    4.You live in West Virginia? You have some of the most challenging roads to drive on. Yes, the Mirage might not be a fit out the showroom floor, but with the above listed mods, and *perhaps* a wider sets of tires you might be able to get better stability.
    5. Of all the vehicles I have driven, I haven't had a problem with the Mirage seat position. With a 34" inseam I have plenty of room for my legs.

Is anyone here with suspension mods able to demonstrate to a fellow owner the benefit of the new parts? Who wants to go to WV for a driving challenge?

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the forum. I hope to add to this later, but I gotta run along.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Im 6'8, have long legs and a normal upper body size.. I bought the car for the eco reasons and for its equipment for the price.
    Overall I'm happy.
    Would be nice if we could adjust the seat down the normal way, since just the back.

But I'm not driving more than 5 hours on long trips (and that maybe a few times a year, to see family members..) so it's a good bang for the buck for my own

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think your comments on handling right on money, we got ours out of town and by the time we pulled into driveway we had a set of coilovers on order. About 100mi through Allegheny made it clear. This car needs stiffer rear springs, rear sway bar and better tires, but with those it is pretty descent.

Keep in mind that majority of Mirage owners do not drive in mountains, and stock suspension is o.k. in straight line and good on potholes at low speeds, so how deficient you'll find handling depends on were you drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It sounds like you have decided the Mirage is not for you. The handling issue is something that might be correctable. Assuming you have any patience left I would have the alignment checked, describing the unsatisfactory handling on the repair order, they should check the specs on all 4 wheels.
    It's possible that the handling issue could be corrected by Mitsubishi and it should not cost you any more than the time, depending on how the dealership handles your issue.
    I'm 65 and 6 feet tall. Although I seldom take trips of over 2.5 hours, I find the seating to be fine for me. That's not meant to be a point of argument, just my observation.
    Regardless of the outcome of your situation, let us know the outcome.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-17-2016)