Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Which oil to use

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was wondering if anyone had used Mobil 1 0W40 European and if anyone had an oil analysis done on it. I will be to my next change interval soon and was wanting to see how this compared to the standard 0W20 variants. I have looked through here and all the posts including the suggested post #35 refer to 0W20.

Also, what kind of mileage hit would one take by using a thicker oil like this?

I have been using Mobil 1 EP in 0W20.

Thanks,

Conor

Country
    Turkey
    Thanks
    Hello to all forum members from Turkey.

I've used 0w20 ENEOS and Motul.
    Eneos distributor advised me to continue with 0w20 till 150.000 km and 5w30 after 150.000 km.

Country
    Turkey
    Thanks
    The recommended oil change interval is 20.000 km. However, i change oil and filter at evey 10.000 km.

Moreover some friends told me that the engine runs more silent and consumes less gasoline with 0w20 viscosity compared to 5w30.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hi,

Im Due for my another 10k PMS. im nearing 42k in my ODO

I was wondering. does the HONDA SN 0w-20 oil will be ok with our mirage?

Name:  _2_.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  33.2 KB

my previous was a 10w-40 and i havent had issues with this.
    they've said to use a 0w-20 now. and BTW do i need to have an engine flush when changing oil like this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Hi,

Im Due for my another 10k PMS. im nearing 42k in my ODO

I was wondering. does the HONDA SN 0w-20 oil will be ok with our mirage?

my previous was a 10w-40 and i havent had issues with this.
    they've said to use a 0w-20 now. and BTW do i need to have an engine flush when changing oil like this?

My advice, read the manual!
    Mitsubishi manual in Europe says to use ILSAC GF-5 specified oil. Usually that will be a 0W20, but there are also plenty GF-5 5W30 specified oils available, in particular those formulated for Lexus/Toyota. Probably the Honda oil meets GF-5, or at least the obsolete GF-4 requirement, check the container. No need for an engine flush. Just stick to the manual and service it when it is time.
    Last edited by foama; 07-09-2018 at 06:46 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Mitsubishi recommends using ILSAC certified engine oils.

I don't see the ILSAC starburst symbol on that bottle, but maybe that's because its on the back label or otherwise out of view.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Mitsubishi recommends using ILSAC certified engine oils.

I don't see the ILSAC starburst symbol on that bottle, but maybe that's because its on the back label or otherwise out of view.

In Europe just as in most parts of the planet, you don't see any Starbust symbol anywhere on anything, its mostly an issue of nill interest, a purely American marketing thing.

They do state ECEA and ILSAC Specs in just about all of the world, and of course the viscosity.
    Last edited by foama; 07-09-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    In Europe just as in most parts of the planet, you don't see any Starbust symbol anywhere on anything, its mostly an issue of nill interest, a purely American marketing thing.

They do state ECEA and ILSAC Specs in just about all of the world, and of course the viscosity.
    I suppose you have a point regarding use of the ILSAC starburst symbol, but it does make it easier to identify lubricants that meet the specifications. Maybe the Honda oil notes this somewhere else on its packaging - I can't say.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would guess that the Honda oil would meet all the required specs and be just fine for our cars. I assume the 10W40 was a conventional oil and not synthetic. The first change to the synthetic 0W20 may flush out sludge. You might check and make sure the oil doesn't appear to be getting dirty quickly on the first change to this. If so you might change it a little sooner.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I would guess that the Honda oil would meet all the required specs and be just fine for our cars. I assume the 10W40 was a conventional oil and not synthetic. The first change to the synthetic 0W20 may flush out sludge. You might check and make sure the oil doesn't appear to be getting dirty quickly on the first change to this. If so you might change it a little sooner.

Conor
    I agree. These aren't Formula 1 race motors. A full synthetic of the proper viscosity index should be fine, no matter what name is on the label.