Thread: ***TEIN coilovers warning***

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

***TEIN coilovers warning***

So I finally got a chance to drive Mirage for a week, and here is my verdict on TEIN Basis coilovers: don't buy them, at least until you read below, and if you can wait, wait until they fix it!

TEIN Basis feel great out of the box on smooth roads, but will act as blown shocks on any reasonable size bump or pothole, which we on East Coast have tons of this time of the year. After a big hit wheel starts dancing, and the whole car gets upset starts oscillate.

Shocks do not have any signs of leaking, and when we installed the coilovers initially the springs looked too soft. The springs are progressive - varied step wind, so they should be soft for initial part of the strok, and not having enough weight to load them we decided they will be o'k once installed. They are for most part, as long as road stays smooth.

So I called TEIN, and found a few things after talking first to tech support and then customer rep.

From tech guy I got this: Mirage coilovers are special order items. This means they are for Japan market and had not been tested/endorsed by TEIN USA. They can warrant it if it is leaking, but in terms of having a bad mismatch (too little resistance on big hits and soft springs) they don't do anything as it is not a product for US market. In other applications US models often have more damping and different springs.

Being upset to the point of going online and badmouthing TEIN, I call again again and talked to customer rap. He basically confirmed what tech said, but was more susceptible to criticism. The fact that Mirage coilovers are listed in US site catalog and there is no clear "use at your own risk" disclaimer This is going to be corrected, they will put an explanation on TEIN USA site.

He advised me to take coilovers off and send them to TEIN for warranty inspection. They will test and see if the parts are within the spec (which I have no reason to doubt) and can actually re-valve them for stiffer settings.

But basically the bottom line is that product has not been designed for US market, and as such they can't guarantee optimal performance. Tech tried to pedal possible difference in weight but 100lbs will not create as much difference, IMHO. Driven in Japan I can attest that the road conditions there are very different, while the surface on some mountain passes may not be the best, there are no potholes to speak of. Snowbelt/NE/Mid-Atlantic is especially bad in terms of huge potholes, but may be not to the same level as Montreal. But at least in Montreal you are going with low speeds in straight line.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-18-2016)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My condolences. I heard that from a new friend not to buy the Teins. He said they are good for a while and then just start falling apart. I recommend the Gab SS and The Largus Fully adjustable coilovers as the way to go.

Edit: this isn't only for the Mirage, but the entire Teins street basis coilovers for every car.
    Last edited by Marklovski; 03-18-2016 at 11:50 PM.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    My condolences. I heard that from a new friend not to buy the Teins. He said they are good for a while and then just start falling apart. I recommend the Gab SS and The Largus Fully adjustable coilovers as the way to go.
    I wish I bought Largus, it was only $100 more and the spring rates on them 4/3 vs 3/2.1 on TEIN.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I wish I bought Largus, it was only $100 more and the spring rates on them 4/3 vs 3/2.1 on TEIN.
    only $100 more? I've seen them at like $850 and the Teins were $640 when I was searching. Where you buying your coilovers?
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    only $100 more? I've seen them at like $850 and the Teins were $640 when I was searching. Where you buying your coilovers?
    We paid $670 me think? And Largus was for $780.

I am probably going to get the dremel out and cut OEM springs to right size. Would be less hustle than taking them off and sending out.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 03-19-2016 at 01:13 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We paid $670 me think? And Largus was for $780.

I am probably going to get the dremel out and cut OEM springs to right size. Would be less hustle than taking them off and sending out.
    WAT? How do you mean?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I finally got a chance to drive Mirage for a week, and here is my verdict on TEIN Basis coilovers: don't buy them, at least until you read below, and if you can wait, wait until they fix it!

TEIN Basis feel great out of the box on smooth roads, but will act as blown shocks on any reasonable size bump or pothole, which we on East Coast have tons of this time of the year. After a big hit wheel starts dancing, and the whole car gets upset starts oscillate.

Shocks do not have any signs of leaking, and when we installed the coilovers initially the springs looked too soft. The springs are progressive - varied step wind, so they should be soft for initial part of the strok, and not having enough weight to load them we decided they will be o'k once installed. They are for most part, as long as road stays smooth.
    I know this old but I just happen to come across this and even though i have a Infiniti G37 i registered just to tell you that you are right. I have the EnduraPro Plus shocks and my right rear will shake like it's blown even though it's been on the car for less that 2 weeks. I have them on the firmest setting and the left one doesn't do it. I had the regular EnduraPro's and the Basis Z on the rear before these and they didn't last too long either on Baltimore roads. I thought I was going crazy. I guess Tein expects all roads to be made of glass.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I appreciate hearing about this. I am on the fence about my suspension. I haul a trailer, am moving to larger tires and want a firmer car. I have a swaybar in the works as well. I'm also going backwards to the crude 2014 suspension/brakes from a 2017.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)