Thread: DIY: Short shifter installation

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

DIY: Short shifter installation

This past weekend I met up with Spork and we test fit the short shifter I've been working on developing.

The install procedure is pretty straight forward, but I'll post all the steps for those who want a comprehensive write up. The tools you will need are:

- Flat bladed screw driver
    - 10mm socket & ratchet
    - 12mm socket, ratchet and ideally a fairly long extension (~12in)

Step 1 - Remove the push pins towards the front of the center console. To remove them, use a screw driver or something somewhat pointy and push the center in. With the center pushed in you can pull them out. There is one on each side.

Name:  shifter01.jpg
Views: 8009
Size:  61.5 KB

Step 2 - Use your flat bladed screw driver to pop open the little cover on the back of the center console. You will see a 10mm bolt there to remove.

Name:  shifter02.jpg
Views: 7594
Size:  39.2 KB

Step 3 - Pull up on the panel under the parking brake lever to expose another 10mm bolt to remove. The panel should pop out with relative ease. If you have plastic interior tools, I would recommend trying to pull it open from the front or sides as it'll be slightly less stressful on the rear clips.

Name:  shifter03.jpg
Views: 7649
Size:  96.2 KB

Step 4 - Unscrew the shift knob to remove it.

Name:  shifter04.jpg
Views: 7531
Size:  89.6 KB

Step 5 - You can now remove the center console. You will need to have the parking brake lever pulled up so you have enough clearance to remove it.

Name:  shifter05.jpg
Views: 9304
Size:  40.8 KB

Step 6 - Remove the spring clips from the shifter cable ends. The one on the driver's side of the shifter assembly is easy, just pull to remove then slide it off. The one on the bottom of the shifter assembly is not difficult to remove, but harder to get access to. Take note of how it is oriented and works for easier reassembly.

Name:  shifter08.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  shifter07.jpg
Views: 2461
Size:  92.5 KB

Step 7 - With the shifter cable ends removed, pull up on the cable attachment points on the front end of the shifter assembly and they'll pop right out.

Name:  shifter09.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  41.2 KB

Step 8 - Remove the four 12mm bolts holding the shifter assembly to the chassis. A longer extension comes in handy here to clear the seats and the shifter shaft.

Step 9 - Unclip the wiring harness from the shifter assembly. There are two plastic clips holding the wiring harness to the shifter assembly. You'll have to lift and twist the shifter assembly toward the passenger side, then use a needle nose pliers to release the clips and pull them out. Be careful not to pull on the wires too hard. There isn't a ton of slack.

Name:  shifter06.jpg
Views: 2389
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  shifter10.jpg
Views: 2454
Size:  92.0 KB

Step 10 + Now reverse the disassembly with the new shifter assembly.

Super big thanks to Spork who let me take apart her brand new Mirage with less than 1k miles on it!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-21-2016),mitsumi (03-26-2016)

Nice.

Looking forward to driving impressions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    For my driving impressions see here:

Developing a short shifter - driving impressions

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)