Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Developing a rear sway bar alternative

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust2dust02 View Post
    Yes, I am not sure if it was how I had the car jacked up... I think I may have been introducing some twist in the system somehow...
    It has to be a center lift so the car rear is lifted equally.

(blank signature)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-03-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My sway bar arrived finally

It was stuck in Toronto for the last month thanks to the bottlenecks with COVID apparently.

Canada Post must be seriously backed up if they're making deliveries on Sunday!

Once I have it installed I'll let you know how it went!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great, glad to hear it!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Great, glad to hear it!
    Couldn't wait for a sunny warm day so ended up installing it in the evening in a dark parkade with a flashlight!

Finding the bolt holes was a bit tricky, but all the guides on the forum helped with that.

Sway bar lined up pretty much right on, no need for maneuvering around the brake line clips. Tricky bit for me was getting my crummy crescent wrench on the top of the bolt near the spring, but aside from that it was a breeze... total install time was 30-45 minutes, would have been quicker if I had an assistant to hold the flashlight for me.

Took it for a little spin and yeah, it's a massive improvement over the stock rear suspension setup.

Very noticeable reduction of the wobbley-ness of the suspension that it used to have when hitting bumps or wallows in the road, much tighter and controlled feeling now.

Biggest difference so far I can tell is cornering.... before going around a mild curve to merge onto a road without slowing down to around 30 km/h felt like it was going to capsize like a ship, but no more!

I dare say, the old 2014 Mirage is actually pretty fun to drive now (even with the CVT)!

If anyone is on the fence about buying one, especially for the earlier models with the very soft jiggly suspension, don't hesitate, it's so worth it.

Thank you so much for designing and selling such a great product to fix such a glaring problem in this car.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 05-27-2020 at 01:02 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javensbukan For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-27-2020),Top_Fuel (05-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    Couldn't wait for a sunny warm day so ended up installing it in the evening in a dark parkade with a flashlight!

Finding the bolt holes was a bit tricky, but all the guides on the forum helped with that.

Sway bar lined up pretty much right on, no need for maneuvering around the brake line clips. Tricky bit for me was getting my crummy crescent wrench on the top of the bolt near the spring, but aside from that it was a breeze... total install time was 30-45 minutes, would have been quicker if I had an assistant to hold the flashlight for me.

Took it for a little spin and yeah, it's a massive improvement over the stock rear suspension setup.

Very noticeable reduction of the wobbley-ness of the suspension that it used to have when hitting bumps or wallows in the road, much tighter and controlled feeling now.

Biggest difference so far I can tell is cornering.... before going around a mild curve to merge onto a road without slowing down to around 30 km/h felt like it was going to capsize like a ship, but no more!

I dare say, the old 2014 Mirage is actually pretty fun to drive now (even with the CVT)!

If anyone is on the fence about buying one, especially for the earlier models with the very soft jiggly suspension, don't hesitate, it's so worth it.

Thank you so much for designing and selling such a great product to fix such a glaring problem in this car.

You have the updated version of the sway bar, which clears the brake clips. Like you, I was amazed @ how a simple item like a sway bar could make such a positive difference. Thanks for sharing your experience!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm very glad to hear you're so happy with it! Thanks for the glowing review.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    My sway bar arrived finally

It was stuck in Toronto for the last month thanks to the bottlenecks with COVID apparently.

Canada Post must be seriously backed up if they're making deliveries on Sunday!
    I get packages once in a while delivered on weekends, I didn't think Canada post worked weekends. My mailman is too damn lazy(Or maybe there's some other reason) to actually leave packages at my door. Doesn't even knock on the door. He just leaves a note saying I have to drive across town and pick it up the following day. I caught the ******* a few times sprinting to his mailvan after leaving a note on my front door and asked wth not save me the trip and give me my damn box of treasures....

But it could be worse...
    https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/on/t...-8-years-later
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Selling my Godspeed Coilovers, look in my "for sales" posts for info.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My replacement bar came incredibly fast and today I installed it. I took out the coil springs, because the lowering springs are so short they almost fall out. That made installation trouble free until I went to put the springs back in. They fit, but there was no space between the rubber spring seat thing and the nut. Maybe I was supposed to put the bolts in the other way, but...they seem to fit.Name:  42D066ED-65C5-4745-86B2-166DD37E776A.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  91.0 KBName:  3BD5B7ED-4C58-4FA3-ACE5-87AD115E6D64.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  89.6 KB I haven’t driven it yet to listen for squeaks and stuff other than to pull it back into the garage...hey, it’s motorcycle weather!
    Last edited by Dark Magenta; 06-08-2020 at 02:11 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had a daox sway bar installed for about 2 weeks now, so I figured I would give my thoughts on it.

Pros: Helps with body lean. I take the same ramp onto the interstate every morning. Before the sway bar I felt comfortable at 30, maybe 32 mph. 35 or above felt real sketchy. Now, I go about 40 and it feels more like the tires are going to lose traction if I go faster, rather than the whole car tip over.

It also seems to help with wind on the highway. Whether from high cross winds or big truck flying past me, there isn't as much pucker factor.

The sway bar also helps in quick turns, lane changes, and high speed pothole dodging maneuvers. The car just feels more stable and doesn't have as much teeter totter feel to it.

Neutral: I haven't noticed much change in suspension feel from general bumps and small potholes.

Cons: On roads where there are regular gaps, bumps, lines, etc that run all the way across perpendicular to the road, you feel more of a bump. You can really feel it at highway speeds and it almost develops a resonance if they are close together.

Now, this is on one particular bad stretch of bad Michigan roads, so pretty rare conditions. It also doesn't outweigh the pros, but it is there.

Overall, I am very happy with it. It just makes the car feel safer and more maneuverable,

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIMirage For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-21-2020),MetroMPG (06-22-2020)