Thread: FAST Key Programming

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question FAST Key Programming

I recently picked up a repo 2015 Mirage for a great price with only 3100 miles. Anyhow, being a repo it only came with one FAST push to start smart key. I found someone with a exact replacement key for $50(part number and fcc id match). Asked my local dealer to add and they refused, saying it was already registered to a different VIN number. Also told me no way they are able to do anything with this key, said it is one and done. Also said car info is "burned into" the smart key. I believe it to be the other way around where the key info is accepted by the cars computer. Anyhow, now I am looking for recommendations for an auto locksmith that can add this key or start relearn procedure for all keys. Willing to drive to get this done. I had also thought about just buying a non used key, having the dealer add that key and then I believe I could add the 3rd used key myself with the manual instructions. Recommendations anyone? Thanks in advance if anyone has any lead for some one that is good with smart keys.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They are not lying to you.On the push button start fast key system you can not add a key that was learned before.

I would like to say I knew this but I didn't! I had to ask my buddy who is a certified mitsu tech and he gave me the rundown on all the different scenarios what has to be done with which system and it is really compicated and confusing!

What I gathered is that a new key/fob CAN be added to the system. However I would not attempt to add the third USED key to the system even with the existing TWO learned keys you are going to have!

All I can say is do not ever lose your key/fob to your car because then somekind of security code request will have to be made to Mitsubishi who then has to send some other code back to the dealer who then has to type that in the diagnostic tool besides the regular code they already have to type in...and so on!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-01-2016),inuvik (04-01-2016),Mossy1 (04-01-2016)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I know a couple, they have a Nissan Qashqai, they had to pay about 360 dollar for a new spare key, when they lost one FOB key :S

I assume it would be a amount of money in the same heigt for a spare for the Mirage ..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to uheym For This Useful Post:

Mossy1 (04-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    They are not lying to you.On the push button start fast key system you can not add a key that was learned before.

I would like to say I knew this but I didn't! I had to ask my buddy who is a certified mitsu tech and he gave me the rundown on all the different scenarios what has to be done with which system and it is really compicated and confusing!

What I gathered is that a new key/fob CAN be added to the system. However I would not attempt to add the third USED key to the system even with the existing TWO learned keys you are going to have!

All I can say is do not ever lose your key/fob to your car because then somekind of security code request will have to be made to Mitsubishi who then has to send some other code back to the dealer who then has to type that in the diagnostic tool besides the regular code they already have to type in...and so on!
    I think I may go a different route, I have possibly found a guy that can replace the transponder chip in this key. I had to send him more pictures to confirm. I will let everyone know once I get his answer. Mitsubishi has definitely made the key thing harder than it needs to be going forward. It is a money grab for them, they want to sell new keys at a nice profit. I believe as you stated the problem is Mitsu will not give the code if they show the transponder ID as already being used or assigned to a VIN number. This is more than likely a software limitation by them. There are a small number of 2 way communicating keys and perhaps something is changed in the key during programming, however this seems like overkill on a Mirage. Thanks for your input!
    Quote Originally Posted by uheym View Post
    I know a couple, they have a Nissan Qashqai, they had to pay about 360 dollar for a new spare key, when they lost one FOB key :S

I assume it would be a amount of money in the same heigt for a spare for the Mirage ..
    Dealer has quote $347 for key + $42 to program. Definitely not cheap

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I'd be upset if someone found my FAST key, sold it anonymously and a dealership programmed it for some other car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-01-2016),Mossy1 (04-02-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'd be upset if someone found my FAST key, sold it anonymously and a dealership programmed it for some other car.
    For sure

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yes I do see your point and have to agree. I didn't ask where the guy had gotten the key. But $50 seemed reasonable and I was willing to take a chance. I was thinking perhaps a totaled car or something similar, did not think about theft or loss. Mailing this away for the chip and blank key service on Monday, was quoted $16 for door key blank, re-chip and return shipping. Of course still $42 to program at the dealer if everything works out. Will post the guys website and email contact if he can get this working for me, if only to help some-one down the line.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK guys/gals I just heard back from my key guy and unfortunately they are not able to clear whatever is written to these keys. So at this point they are not serviceable at all. You can all check you numbers on the FAST fob, but mine that is not serviceable is model GHR-M003 with FCC id OUC003M. The previous generation of keys which seem to be the FCC id OUC644M-KEY-N are serviceable. These are the ones that were originally for the Outlander and maybe some Lancers. But it is possible they were on some early production 2014 Mirages. Someone that has access to the current US or north american Mitsu ASA could let us know the exact production date of the change. May have to pay the dealer for this one. I really like the FAST system, but I def fon't like the price for keys!! Hope this is helpful.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mossy1 For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-07-2016),Eggman (04-07-2016),inuvik (04-06-2016),uheym (04-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the update Mossy1. This is good info for people to know, especially as we see more used Mirage owners who will undoubtedly be looking for extra keys.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)