Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average Fuel Economy Display (A vs. B setting)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Average Fuel Economy Display (A vs. B setting)

Just bought a '15 Mirage, and I'm confused by the average fuel economy display. I realized that the average will reset after 4 hours. What I want is have a CUMULATIVE average fuel economy shown on the display.

I took to the forums here, and executed the instructions to switch to the 'B' mode (press & hold on the driving range setting to switch it to 'B'). Now, I can see the cumulative average; but when I turn the car off & back on again, the car reverts back to the 'A' mode.

Is there any way to force the 'B' mode on by default (therefore showing cumulative average fuel economy)?

Any help would be appreciated!

On a side note, I achieved near 44 mpg on a mix of city/highway driving with A/C on the entire commute. Very impressive, considering the engine is still breaking in!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  89.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by anf2374 View Post
    Is there any way to force the 'B' mode on by default (therefore showing cumulative average fuel economy)?
    Unfortunately, nope.

(Or at least not in the 2014 model that I borrowed.)

It's nice that Mitsu gave the car 2 separate MPG gauges, but the user interface sucks. Also, some people really want an "instant" consumption gauge, and it doesn't have one.

On a side note, I achieved near 44 mpg on a mix of city/highway driving with A/C on the entire commute. Very impressive, considering the engine is still breaking in!
    Congrats!

PS: you should make a garage entry...
    Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I dredged this thread up only to say ... I have a 2020 Mirage. I have the same exact issue as the O.P. And it remains the same logic to
    this day. I want it to default to B Avg/mpg. But it won't. It reverts to A Avg/mpg at every key ON. Kind of frustrating. Maybe I'll learn to love A Avg/mpg ... but will switch to B most of the time. Quirks...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I use the A Avg as a general guide. I can't even remember the last time I looked at my B average. Keep in mind that neither one of them is as accurate as a manual mpg calculation. If I remember correctly, the A/B averages are optimistic by 2-3%.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I'll never tire of saying: it's an utterly terrible user interface. Mitsu - or whatever supplier designed it - should be ashamed.

I hope they read this and feel bad. Because it's bad!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Top Fuel - I agree, it's optimistic. But I factor that in while looking at it. It's not as big an issue as it is on my Burgman 650. That thing reads like 100 mph too high from the factory. So a lot of us install what's called a "speedohealer." Once the mph is corrected (and can be made VERY accurate with the speedohealer), then the mpg is off, and the mileage. So I have to do trigonometry just to know the REAL mpg of that bike. And ... by the way, it is only just a hair better than the Mirage. Kudos to the Mirage.

MetroMPG - I don't think the information display is all THAT bad. This A-B thing is the only real issue I'm finding ... with the information display. I more strongly dislike a few other things. And no, I seriously doubt Mitsubishi would ever read this. First of all, it would be Japanese guys. And Japanese guys find reading JUST English words, with no pictures to be extremely labor-intense ... on the brain. Their writing is kind of symbolic which puts pictures in their brains while reading. Ours is just words ... and we can make one word have many different meanings. That crushes them when they try to read English. I had very good Japanese friends (great guys the Japanese) at Toyota, and they explained it to me in that way. When I worked for Toyota, I had to make reports that were mostly pictures, arrows, sketches, with just a couple / few words at a time. Turns out, that's very effective even reporting to natural English speakers. I L-O-V-E-D working for Toyota. Working for Hyundai-Kia S-U-C-K-E-D.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

You're wrong - it's terrible.

The "B" gauge is effectively hidden from non-RTFM types (ie. almost everyone) because it can't be accessed through the normal/intuitive method of paging through the various screens. It even forces you to reset one of the MPG averages in order to change fuel units! (Sometimes I want to see L/100 km, other times I want MPG).

Bad, Bad, Bad!

I was kidding about Mitsu reading this. (Even though I used to watch the server logs a lot when the site was new, and occasionally did see visitors from Mitsu corporate and even other automakers.)

But I learned something interesting from your reply anyway, so that's good.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good to see another with a sense of humor like mine (with the "you're wrong" comment). I got a chuckle from that.

Mitsubishi America (whatever) might get on here and look. But those are just sales morons and are worthless. Just like all other OEM sales forces ... including TMS, Toyota Motor Sales (or whatever they may be called these days). They don't know about anything outside of liquor and golf, and how to pat each other on the back and take credit for what the design guys did.

Non-RTFM! I just learned something! I'd had never heard that term before. I am certainly not one of those. I find TFM of great interest. I had to help write TFM at Toyota, regarding seats (I was a seat design engineer). It was not an easy task. They always find some obscure 3rd party to read it and it becomes clear how much I (and other engineers) assume other people know what the heck we're talking about. Not a fun thing to do, I write very poorly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm "that guy" who actually read the manual cover-to-cover after getting the car, and saw the section on this "average fuel economy" tracker. As people have pointed out, there is an A/B option, with option "A" resetting after 4 hours of not using the car (so it's basically average fuel economy for the day), and option "B" not doing that (so more of a lifetime average, I believe). Option "A" is default, and option "B" can be enabled using the Konami code, or something similar. Settings will be reset to default every time the key goes into the "ON" position.

I may have misunderstood something, but I'm pretty sure that my key needs to go into the "ON" position every time I start the vehicle, making option "B" pretty much useless?

While I'd like that lifetime average recording, I'm at a point in my life where I'm picking my battles, and this is something I just wasn't interested in investing anymore time or brain power into, and thus decided to be happy with option "A". Option "B" seems like a pretty useless feature as it is currently configured.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    PityOnU - I doubt B is a lifetime average. After a certain amount of data, it will overwrite. What most would use B for is for average mpg FOR EACH TANK OF GAS. And then reset B after refueling the car. Each tank mpg is what I find interesting.

At the very least, when I'm gassing up, or anytime I feel like fiddling with it, I can switch it to B to see where it's at. The better way to set that up would have just have another viewable window. It could go into A average mpg, and the next switch of the button would be B average mpg. No need to go to the range and hold the button down to switch to B (silly).

Even though by default it will not stay on B, B does not reset until it is reset manually.