Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage 3-cyl North American debut: January 17th, in Montreal

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage 3-cyl North American debut: January 17th, in Montreal

The debut of the 2013 Mitsubishi Mirage in North America will take place at the Montreal auto show on January 18th, 2013, otherwise known as the Salon de l'Auto International de Montreal:

http://www.montrealautoshow.com

---
    Note - see the U.S. debut details from the NY international auto show here: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage U.S. debut in New York: details, photos, specs.
    ---

Details about the car -- even its name -- are currently under wraps by a press embargo. The 2013 Unveilings list on the show web site says only:

North American Premiere: Mitsubishi: model to come (embargo) / (modèle à venir (embargo))
    However, we have at least confirmed the car's name: it will wear the Mirage badge, as it does in the rest of the world where it has recently gone on sale.

At least one dealership has said the car will be available for sale in Canada in March (edit: now Mitsu is saying autumn). The U.S. will get it in September.

This month's Montreal debut of the 2014 Mirage comes just one year after Mitsu showed off its "World Car Concept" on the show circuit. The concept car was a thinly disguised version of the production car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Unveiling

It's kind of funny to pretend we don't already know what the rest of the car looks like, but who wants to deny someone the fun of yanking the cover off a new car?

Mitsu Canada's National Marketing Director Peter Renz offers a peek of the new Mitsubishi which will debut at the Salon International de l'auto de Montreal on January 17, 2013.

(Image: Mitsubishi Canada)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wooo, tomorrow it comes out!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

One more teaser pic from Mitsu Canada this morning:

https://twitter.com/MitsubishiCAN

We're unveiling a very exciting addition to Mitsubishi Canada's line-up today at the Montreal Auto Show! Stay tuned! pic.twitter.com/2V7tq1Fd
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-17-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wooohoo. I can't wait to hear what Canada gets spec wise. It would be amazing if they got start/stop, but I highly doubt it... Anyway, it should hopefully come with all the aero goodies at least.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Well the news is out.

The most interesting tidbit is they're still not referring to it as "Mirage". Instead, they're awkwardly calling it Mitsubishi's new "global small car". That suggests they still haven't committed to a name for the U.S. market. I mean - who unveils a brand new car without a name?

Highlights for the Canadian market (full news release text below):

• available in autumn 2013 as a 2014 model
    • 1.2-litre, three-cylinder MIVEC engine (output, 74 hp at 6,000 rpm and 74 ft. lbs. torque at 4,000 rpm)
    • transmissions: five-speed manual or CVT transmission
    • Wider than Chevrolet Spark, taller than Hyundai Accent and longer than Scion iQ (Length, 3,780 mm; width, 1665 mm; height, 1500 mm; wheelbase, 2450 mm; wheels/tires, 165/65R14)
    • will rank as one of Canada's most affordable and fuel efficient new cars
    • Quebec sales manager Patrick Renaud, added: "Fuel efficiency is our global focus, our company mission"
    • MMSCAN expects the new car's fuel economy to be among the best for gasoline-powered cars in Canada.
    • Price to be in the "low teens"
    • warranty: 10 years or 160,000 km limited powertrain, five years or 100,000 km limited new vehicle and five years, unlimited mileage roadside assistance.

---------------

http://www.mitsubishi-motors-pr.ca/e...?mediaid=14110

2014 Mitsubishi Small Car Makes North American Debut
    Canada’s Newest Subcompact Arrives This Fall

Montreal, Quebec (January 17, 2013) – An all-new Mitsubishi subcompact made its North
    American debut today at the Salon International de l’auto de Montreal. Canada’s newest
    subcompact, the five-door Mitsubishi promises class-leading fuel economy and value for
    money in a youthful, fun-to-drive hatchback.

Wider than Chevrolet Spark, taller than Hyundai Accent and longer than Scion iQ, the new car
    (known as Mirage in other markets) is based on Mitsubishi Motor Corporation’s successful
    global small car and will arrive in Canada this fall. Produced in Thailand and featuring a 1.2-
    litre, three-cylinder MIVEC engine mated to a five-speed manual or CVT transmission, the
    new car is expected to achieve superb fuel economy in city, highway and combined driving.
    Displayed in striking Green Metallic paint, the subcompact was unveiled by Mitsubishi Motor
    Sales of Canada (MMSCAN) president & CEO Shin Fujioka to gathered media: “The new 2014
    Mitsubishi is fun, efficient, greener and affordable. We can’t wait!” he said.

Based on the ‘Global Small’ concept car unveiled by Shin Fujioka 12 months ago, the new
    entry becomes the fifth model in the MMSCAN line-up. When it arrives at MMSCAN’s 84
    dealerships, it will rank as one of Canada’s most affordable and fuel efficient new cars.
    Describing it as MMSCAN’s “latest ultra-efficient vehicle” Quebec sales manager Patrick
    Renaud, added: “Fuel efficiency is our global focus, our company mission”, noting the
    Mitsubishi RVR compact sport utility achieves class-leading 6.1 L/100 km and Mitsubishi
    Lancer is “not far behind”.

Preliminary specifications are: Length, 3,780 mm; width, 1665 mm; height, 1500 mm;
    wheelbase, 2450 mm; wheels/tires, 165/65R14; output, 74 hp at 6,000 rpm and 74 ft. lbs.
    torque at 4,000 rpm.

MMSCAN research reveals subcompact car consumers hold five key purchase considerations:
    Fuel economy, value for money, price, reliability and exterior styling. The new Mitsubishi is
    expected to hit squarely on all five, leading the industry in several.

Fuel Economy / Price / Value for Money

MMSCAN expects the new car’s fuel economy to be among the best for gasoline-powered cars
    in Canada. In terms of affordability, MMSCAN will announce final retail pricing closer to the
    sale date, however it expects an MSRP in the low teens for a model that will feature an
    impressive, long list of standard equipment.

Reliability

The 2014 Mitsubishi subcompact is backed by the best warranty in the world – 10 years or
    160,000 km limited powertrain, five years or 100,000 km limited new vehicle and five years,
    unlimited mileage roadside assistance.

Additionally, it is designed with Mitsubishi’s Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution (RISE) body
    system. RISE combines an impact energy-absorbing front end with a high-rigidity cabin
    structure.

Exterior Styling

The new car’s unique headlamp design and sculpted hood create an expressive frontal “face”.
    The sides feature a taut belt line that starts down low from behind the front wheel and rises
    gently towards the rear. The roof line curves gently down toward the rear spoiler. Through
    fluid analysis and wind tunnel testing, Mitsubishi has crafted the optimal design to reduce air
    resistance.

The front end emphasizes visibility and maneuverability. The interior package is efficiently
    designed to accommodate five adults and luggage.

The newest Mitsubishi comes with a palette of seven body colours including Green Metallic,
    Dark Grey, Blue Mica, Red Metallic, White, Cool Silver Metallic and Black Mica.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well that is a bit disappointing. I was hoping for a little more info. We already knew 90% of that. The only useful tidbit was that they do plan to sell the manual and CVT. Also, it seems like it'll go on sale later than expected too.

I guess we'll have to wait it out until the New York auto show for more info.
    Last edited by Daox; 01-17-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    We have been delayed here in Aus for our Mirage to go on sale was going to be November 2012 then December 2012 then to early mid January now 22nd january. Wonder if they are having problems getting enough cars made due to maybe higher sales of them then they thought they would get.

That's what I've read as well, Jamie - they've been selling well in the initial release markets.

One good thing announced today: "class leading" fuel economy in the Canadian market. We'll of course have to wait for the official numbers now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I still think the platform title "global small car" denotes it was intended to be offered beyond developing markets.

Hmpf.

I'm glad I got one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)