Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making copies of keys with chips?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Making copies of keys with chips?

I was wondering if there is a good way to make extra spare keys for our cars. I would want a chip key without the need for a battery to operate. I understand many sold at Wal-Mart and home improvement stores will work but have a battery that will render the car unable to start if it dies unlike a factory key.

I am often outdoors and very hard on stuff so didn't want to ruin the factory key. I went to a hardware store and had a key blank cut for $2. The guy told me it would get me into the car but probably not start it. I said that was fine as all I wanted it for was to take on hikes, float trips, etc. and wouldn't need it to drive the car, just get inside.

He was right. The car would start for a couple seconds and then die. Also, when I used the factory key, it took a while longer to start after using the cut key.

I am not too worried about this now but am curious. Has anyone here been able to program/flash a chip key that doesn't require a battery to operate?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post

I am not too worried about this now but am curious. Has anyone here been able to program/flash a chip key that doesn't require a battery to operate?

Conor
    On a 2015 ES with regular chip key, all you need is a Kaba Ilco MIT17A-PT or generic equivalent, you can program them yourself if you have 2 working transponder keys. Local locksmith will cut the Ilco brand keys for me for about $22.50. Never tried the generics. Directions are in the manual, section 5-5. 1-Insert 1st valid key turn ignition to on for 5 seconds. Turn to off.2- Within 30 seconds insert second valid key and turn to on position, after 10 seconds indicator will start to blink. Turn key back to off. 3-Within 30 seconds insert blank(new) key and turn to on position, after registration immobilizer light will come on for three seconds then turn off. You can register up to 8 keys. I hope this is helpful!
    Last edited by Mossy1; 04-12-2016 at 11:59 PM. Reason: more info

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mossy1 For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-13-2016),deleted user (04-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 2015 DE without the push button start. Does that make a difference?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 2015 DE without the push button start. Does that make a difference?

Conor
    Should be the same procedure as long as not FAST key.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossy1 View Post
    On a 2015 ES with regular chip key, all you need is a Kaba Ilco MIT17A-PT or generic equivalent, you can program them yourself if you have 2 working transponder keys.
    The ES has pushbutton start. It sounds like you are describing keys for the DE with a traditional ignition switch.

Mitsubishi, MIT17A-PT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I understand you can program up to 8 keys. This makes me think of another concern. Let's say you get a key and program a blank, then have it cut but the cutter messes it up. Does this mean you have burned one of your 8 programmings?

If this is the case, I think I will go get a blank cut and make sure it works as intended. Then I will program the key as to not blow through one of my 8 programs.

I have found that a local hardware store does a great job of cutting keys. Yes, Wal-Mart is cheaper but your time is worth something and if they can't get it right after 3 tries, then why bother with them?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The ES has pushbutton start. It sounds like you are describing keys for the DE with a traditional ignition switch.

Mitsubishi, MIT17A-PT
    Girlfriend has an ES with regular keys (Transponder Key), not FAST key. This is even confirmed with her VIN ML32A4, A4= ES in the US or SE in Canada. I know it's rare but there are a few out there. Has factory Cruise, Bluetooth, Aluminum Wheels. Etc. Even came with the Rockford Fosgate upgrade, which is very nice. I have noticed people actually calling this an RF. Anyhow I don't mean this to sound snarky or anything, just sharing what I have seen and what I know is possible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mossy1 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I understand you can program up to 8 keys. This makes me think of another concern. Let's say you get a key and program a blank, then have it cut but the cutter messes it up. Does this mean you have burned one of your 8 programmings?
    The key would have to be cut first and work to turn the lock cylinder to program. I hope that makes sense.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossy1 View Post
    Girlfriend has an ES with regular keys (Transponder Key), not FAST key. This is even confirmed with her VIN ML32A4, A4= ES in the US or SE in Canada. I know it's rare but there are a few out there. Has factory Cruise, Bluetooth, Aluminum Wheels. Etc. Even came with the Rockford Fosgate upgrade, which is very nice. I have noticed people actually calling this an RF. Anyhow I don't mean this to sound snarky or anything, just sharing what I have seen and what I know is possible.
    Yep, you have a Mirage RF, not an ES. The main differences are no FAST key or foglights on the RF, plus the Rockford stereo upgrade. Mitsu must just use the same VIN coding for both models. Wouldn't surprise me, since the RF was a late 2015 addition to the lineup.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-13-2016)