Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brake bleeding and pad material

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Question: is it really important to bleed after changing break pads for our mirage? its because im gonna change my pads for the front but someone told me that i still need to let it bleed after changing the pads. is it really necessary?

sorry for the ignorance, bec. im still learning for the past 2 years since this is my first car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Question: is it really important to bleed after changing break pads for our mirage?
    Bleeding is only required during brake service if you open up a brake line for some reason (replacing a caliper on the front or a wheel cylinder on the rear). If you're just changing front pads or rear shoes, you don't need to bleed anything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-12-2018),mitsumi (01-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Question: im gonna change my pads for the front

sorry for the ignorance, bec. im still learning for the past 2 years since this is my first car.
    Make sure you only remove one caliper at a time. If you have them both removed and push one of the pistons in, you'll likely push the one on the opposite side out. Then you're hooped. These calipers are so small you can push the piston back by hand.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    What about replacing the brake fluid? I wonder if there's a service interval for this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Don't forget to pump the brake pedal until firm resistance is encountered when you're done with the manual labor. It's an easy mistake to hop in and drive off without setting the pistons and whoops! if you need to stop suddenly.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-16-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What about replacing the brake fluid? I wonder if there's a service interval for this.
    Warranty and service manual will answer that.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Warranty and service manual will answer that.
    Good point Wallythacker. I have checked the warranty manual and it only says to check brake fluid every 45,000 miles with no mention of replacement.

I ask this question because it is my understanding that brake fluid tends to absorb water and over time can somehow diminish. I was hoping an experienced mechanic can chime in with their advice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-01-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Good point Wallythacker. I have checked the warranty manual and it only says to check brake fluid every 45,000 miles with no mention of replacement.

I ask this question because it is my understanding that brake fluid tends to absorb water and over time can somehow diminish. I was hoping an experienced mechanic can chime in with their advice.
    It does. All organics DOT3/4 will absorb minute amounts of water over time. I don't think the silicone based DOT 5 are hydroscopic. I think we have DOT4 in our cars.

Generally 3 years or so was a recommended interval for a brake purge and flush.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (01-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Don't forget to pump the brake pedal until firm resistance is encountered when you're done with the manual labor. It's an easy mistake to hop in and drive off without setting the pistons and whoops! if you need to stop suddenly.
    I once watched a guy back into the shop door after replacing his pads. It was pretty funny, thankfully nobody was standing behind him.

I checked the manual for our Nissan nv200's, it states "for vehicles operated in Canada, both standard and severe maintenance items should be performed at every interval". They call for brake fluid replacement every 10000miles/16000kms or every year under the severe schedule. I think that's a bit extreme
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-16-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question

Is a scantool needed to interact with the ABS module while bleeding?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)