Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt Tension, Howto

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I will check them out. Thanks!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    hehe thats nice! i can tune a guitar and see if i can tune a belt! lolz
    Can you tune a fish? Haha, I couldn't resist...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Over the last 45 years, I've done a lot of engine tune-ups; this is the first time I've heard of "tuning the belt". Unfortunately, I'm tone-deaf. Will I need to hire a piano tuner to check my belt tension?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stecoop For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    Will I need to hire a piano tuner to check my belt tension?
    Consider using an audio frequency app for your phone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    Over the last 45 years, I've done a lot of engine tune-ups; this is the first time I've heard of "tuning the belt". Unfortunately, I'm tone-deaf. Will I need to hire a piano tuner to check my belt tension?

Quote:

You may want to put the sound file on your mobile phone, so it can be played where and when you need it.

For MP3 audio file see first post

Happy twanging

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I may be shammed for this cause it's not what the service manual says to do, but I still just tighten the belt with it running til it's quiet while under full load, hit the throttle a few times and make sure it doesn't chirp, turn on ac, headlights, rear defrost, radio,blower motor on high...You can only tighten them so many times though as they wear out. I have one pretty old belt break shortly after tightening it for the second or third time over the years.

Name:  drive belt instructions.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  81.5 KB

The top row "vibration frequency" is the sound pitch, and the most acurate way of adjustment.
    Mitsu dealers have a microphone in the MUT kit for the purpose, but simply playing the recording placed in the first post and adjusting to correct tone pitch is just as good.

If I didn't know how to do it, I'd probably do it like Fummins described. The end result is what counts.
    Last edited by foama; 05-03-2019 at 04:28 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Wayne (11-27-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I wonder how different materials will affect the resonant frequency? Aftermarket suppliers probably won't be using the same stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I wonder how different materials will affect the resonant frequency? Aftermarket suppliers probably won't be using the same stuff.
    I'm sure different materials will affect this, just as a nylon guitar string sounds different than a steel guitar string under the same tension.
    But, I think Fummins has a good method, albeit potentialy dangerous. I've done the same thing when adjusting the belt tension on industrial machines, in combination with observing the belt vibration.
    Anyway, I happened upon this thread while investigating a squeal and chirping coming from the drivers side of my car, but that's a subject for a different thread in a different forum.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I need to re-adjust the tension on my belt. Here lately it has been squeeling a lot when driving through water and it used to never do that. My Mirage is sitting at 33,000 miles so it is probably due.
    Mine is doing the same thing, but I'm at 55k miles, it mainly squeaks when accelerating.......

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Tighten it up a little if it hasn’t been done before or just get a new belt. To adjust it you only need a 12mm wrench or socket, to replace it you also need to loosen off the 14mm/ 9/16” deep socket on the bottom of alternator so it’ll pivot back far enough to get new belt on.
    So I just replaced the belt on my mirage (‘15 DE) and I just retightened the alternator bracket as tight as it could go( which was a lot shorter than the previous placement of the alternator). In order to even get the belt on I had a buddy of mine roll the belt onto the alternator as I bumped the starter. After a couple of times it slipped right on. The car does not squeak anymore when using the a/c, and it doesn’t squeak under WOT. Even though the belt seems to be on pretty tight, I’m gonna keep a 12mm in my car just in case it decides to slip off.