Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washer Nozzle Spray Pattern? (Any way to improve it?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Washer Nozzle Spray Pattern? (Any way to improve it?)

So, the oem spray is kinda, crap. Its more like a squirt gun than a mist. Is there a way to get mist style nozzles that shoot in a fan pattern? (like most other cars these days?)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

anog (04-20-2016),Cleartec (04-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As far as I understand there isn't much difference between any washer nozzle. The fitting on them is pretty universal so it would be more about how the nozzle clips into the hood. Which again, shouldn't be much of a difference no matter who the manufacturer is. I'd say just buy a set that are fan spray instead of stream, and try to install them. The only other thing is if you get a set that has the fittings facing the opposite direction of where your hoses are run and you'd need to just cut a longer section of hose to replace it. There are many ways to retain the hose either to the hood insulator or under it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRage For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If it helps any, at least the aim of the oem washer nozzles can be easily adjusted. A couple of the streams on my car were hitting too low on the windshield and I adjusted them up some to make it a bit more tolerable. Tweak the nozzles by inserting a sewing needle into the nozzle and carefully pressing the needle the direction you need the nozzle to move.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-19-2016),tomandjerry00 (10-17-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    namco, I've used pliers to pinch washer fluid discharge nozzles to get a different pattern, but I don't think that applies here.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-20-2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Cut redundant verbage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah. I guess ill end up buying a kit that mists the windshield and do a write up for it. Maybe i can find some subaru nozzles and see if i can make them fit. I just prefer a mist over squirt gun.... lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    If it helps any, at least the aim of the oem washer nozzles can be easily adjusted. A couple of the streams on my car were hitting too low on the windshield and I adjusted them up some to make it a bit more tolerable. Tweak the nozzles by inserting a sewing needle into the nozzle and carefully pressing the needle the direction you need the nozzle to move.
    (I'm knowingly bumping this old discussion thread back to life in 2019.)

We just got a used 2015 Mirage two days ago, and I noticed yesterday that, although the windshield washer nozzles put out a fat stream of water, it only shoots up to about the lower 8 inches of the windshield, which means that the only water that gets to the top of the windshield is what falls above the wipers when they are ALL the way down and then gets swiped upward on the wipers' upstrokes.

Also, all the water that falls on the windshield while the wipers are up, just gets slapped off of the bottom of the windshield when the wipers come back down, You have to use a LOT more fluid to get the windshield clean that way.

I'm going to try to re-aim the nozzles, as described in the post I copied above. I have done that before. But I think the main problem is that the nozzle holes are too big, and don't generate enough pressure to send the fluid up where it belongs. IS THAT A PROBLEM WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S MIRAGES? Is it a problem mainly affecting certain years.

I've seen a lot of car makes' windshield wiper nozzles. Most build up enough pressure to go over the windshield if they are aimed too high. The only thing I can see that might be good about nozzles with too large of a bore is that they'd probably be less prone to clogging, which I could be a design aim.

As a Mirage newbie, I am very interested in what the forum's windshield washer squirter experts can tell me.
    Last edited by DonkeyPal; 03-22-2019 at 01:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Mine work fine... Maybe they could be adjusted a tad higher. It hasn't bothered me anywhere near enough to actually adjust them though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put a pin in the nozzles, and nudged them up. I didn't change the angles. Later, we took a drive and fount that now they spray too high, and what is strange is, they also seem to have way more pressure, and are no longer producing just a fat, low-pressure stream. Maybe the angle they had been set at affected the pressure. I need to readjust them. I'd like them hitting the windshield somewhere above the middle of the windshield and also have their target areas more or less evenly spaced across the windshield.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    We need videos of this. Is there anything else funnier than a bunch of videos of Mirage windshield wiper spray patterns? Although YouTube has some pretty weird stuff (look for toilet flushes.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the nozzles better adjusted now. They hit a bit higher than I'd like, but nudging them down a hair seems to put them lower than I'd like. The pressure seems just fine. It still strikes me as strange that when I found them pointed way too low the pressure seemed wimpier.