Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Mitsubishi says employees cheated on fuel economy/emissions tests

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    I really hope Mitsubishi can continue to remain in the U.S. market. I picked up my Mirage yesterday! Its just amazing to me that cheating a little on fuel economy test have dropped the companies stock 50%+ General Motors was KILLNG people with that ignition switch debaticle and knew about it and I didnt see their stock drop this much!!! It just blows my mind!
    That's because there is a wide, and profound, gulf between what the media was telling you (OMG ignition switches are killing people!!!) and what was actually happening. Ever owned a Delta platform GM car? (Ion, G5, HHR, Cobalt, the cars having this problem) If you did, you could try an experiment. Put the ignition key in the switch. Turn it on but don't start it. Use a scale to pull down on the key. How much weight does it take?

Well I tried this with my pre-recall Ion when all this was going on. It took more than ten pounds of downward pressure. So knowing that, here is what's wrong with what you were told: If you have a normal keychain, you'll never have an issue. If you have 1/4 pound of crap on your keychain, and you experience an upward acceleration of 40 g, then the car could turn off.

Basically, if you were already in an accident, the car might shut off. But you still want to blame GM for it, because that's the popular thing to do, right?

Interestingly enough, there was a recall around the same time for the Takata airbags. These airbags were installed in many different kinds of cars, but since the most popular ones were Toyota And Honda, then it was the Takata airbags that were at fault, not the Honda or Toyota airbags. We can't blame them, because it's not popular to do so, even if it was covered up.

What does this have to do with the GM ignition switch? GM doesn't make the ignition switch any more than Honda or Toyota made those shrapnel filled airbags. But since they were put in GM cars, and it's popular to hate GM without prior thought, then it's GM's fault - not the fault of the vendor who made the switches.

I'm not defending GM here, I'm speaking out against the media swaying opinion on something they don't know anything about. Sorta like how most everyone on this site says auto reviewers are dumb for trying to nitpick the Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    That's because there is a wide, and profound, gulf between what the media was telling you (OMG ignition switches are killing people!!!) and what was actually happening. Ever owned a Delta platform GM car? (Ion, G5, HHR, Cobalt, the cars having this problem) If you did, you could try an experiment. Put the ignition key in the switch. Turn it on but don't start it. Use a scale to pull down on the key. How much weight does it take?

Well I tried this with my pre-recall Ion when all this was going on. It took more than ten pounds of downward pressure. So knowing that, here is what's wrong with what you were told: If you have a normal keychain, you'll never have an issue. If you have 1/4 pound of crap on your keychain, and you experience an upward acceleration of 40 g, then the car could turn off.

Basically, if you were already in an accident, the car might shut off. But you still want to blame GM for it, because that's the popular thing to do, right?

Interestingly enough, there was a recall around the same time for the Takata airbags. These airbags were installed in many different kinds of cars, but since the most popular ones were Toyota And Honda, then it was the Takata airbags that were at fault, not the Honda or Toyota airbags. We can't blame them, because it's not popular to do so, even if it was covered up.

What does this have to do with the GM ignition switch? GM doesn't make the ignition switch any more than Honda or Toyota made those shrapnel filled airbags. But since they were put in GM cars, and it's popular to hate GM without prior thought, then it's GM's fault - not the fault of the vendor who made the switches.

I'm not defending GM here, I'm speaking out against the media swaying opinion on something they don't know anything about. Sorta like how most everyone on this site says auto reviewers are dumb for trying to nitpick the Mirage.
    It was my understanding that the GM ignition switch became significantly more dangerous once it had some wear? I am sure you remember the garbage that was '70s-'80s GM ignition switches...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post

Maybe, but I'm sure the families of the 124 people that died due to this might disagree.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/gm-igni...-274-injuries/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

flotownj (06-29-2016)

sales cratered in May

Back to Mitsubishi....

The impact of the scandal showed up in May's sales in Japan:

Mitsubishi Motors Corp.’s domestic vehicle sales more than halved in May (51.4 percent year-on-year fall) from a year earlier after the automaker was hit by a fuel economy manipulation scandal, data showed Wednesday.
    This was partly due to suspending sales of the 4 affected minicar/Kei vehicles, plus likely a spillover effect on other models still available.

Nissan's sales were also way down, since Mitsu supplied its rebranded Kei vehicles:

Minicar sales slid 75.0 percent to 912 units at Mitsubishi and 76.8 percent to 3,105 units at Nissan.
    Sales of the affected Kei models will resume on Friday.

Source: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...ssan-also-hurt

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-01-2018)

Subaru's turn

Now it's Subaru's turn to get in trouble for decades of fiddling with fuel economy testing...

Subaru Employees Manipulated Fuel Economy Data

Automaker query finds 900 vehicles with incorrect information.

Subaru Corp. said employees manipulated fuel economy and emissions figures on about 900 vehicles manufactured in Japan.

The revelation came as part of a government-mandated self-investigation, which end up in the head of the company to resigning. Additionally, the query determined that “unqualified” employees had been performing the fuel-economy inspections for as long as 30 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I wonder if this will affect their sales in North America.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Subaru's been on a record-setting sales roll in the States.

I doubt this is going to get wide enough exposure to filter down to regular car buyers.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Subaru's been on a record-setting sales roll in the States.

I doubt this is going to get wide enough exposure to filter down to regular car buyers.
    Well Subaru has the reputation of being driven by bad drivers. 99% of Subie owners are bad drivers in the Northwest. Its an indicator that the typical consumer will buy a Subie just cause for some reason. Now if they could stop turning every corner like they're hauling a horse box that would be great.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire