Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY rust preventative products & options

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

DIY rust preventative products & options

Over the weekend Spork and I were talking about how to go about doing some rust prevention on her Mirage. Being Metro owners that live in heavily salted roads in winter, we are both well accustom to rust and the sad state of our Metros makes us want to do everything we can to our cars to prevent it from happening in the future.

I of course mentioned the great series of articles that CrazyJerry wrote up for us:

However, he doesn't mention what product he used to do the rust prevention...

Name:  fluidfilm.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  41.7 KB

Spork mentioned there is a product out there called Fluid Film. From what I've seen this seems to be one of the most if not the most popular product out there. The user reviews on amazon are extremely high. It is typically applied once a year to the car in fall before winter rolls around.

From their site:
    FLUID FILMŪ is Eureka's own unique lanolin-based brand of corrosion preventive and lubricant, used Worldwide in a multitude of industries and applications.
    However, I also found out that Spork is a vegan, and lanolin is animal based oil. So, she is looking for alternatives. Thats where this thread actually started.

From my reading Fluid Film does a great job at creeping into areas. Its a thicker oil that doesn't dry out. Thus, its great for chassis and frame stuff that won't see water/dirt splash and abrasion. However, since it is an oil, it will get washed off by road grime etc. So, its much like other companies 'cavity' or non-underbody products.

Anyway, you can buy Fluid Flim in several different packaged options. Prices are from amazon.com.

Name:  noxudol.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  90.0 KB

The next product I found while searching was Noxudol. They actually have several offerings ranging from solvent based, to solvent free, and also to water based. Their reviews on amazon are quite lacking compared to Fluid Film, but the ones that are there are pretty good. Their products are a bit more application specific. They have an undercoating that is more abrasion resistant, and a cavity wax that is designed to creep more for better coverage when you can't reach everything.

There are many buying options for Noxudol. I'll list a few of the options below. I'm not sure why they don't offer everything on amazon, but it does look like you can buy direct from them here. Not all of their products are available in aerosol cans.

Name:  waxoyl.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  29.3 KB Name:  waxoyl2.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  26.3 KB

Next up I found Waxoyl. Their product offering is very similar to Noxudol. One product for cavities, and one for the underside. Waxoyl 120-4 is their cavity protector, Hardwax for underbody is understandably their undercoating product. These must be solvent based as they have a hazardous shipping requirement.

You can purchase these from their website.

Name:  image_view.php?force=fit&height=388&width=291&q=90&r=255&g=255&b=255&y_position=&x_position=&src.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  12.9 KB

Krown is available only in Canada, but it is very popular up there. Searching for rust preventative products always brings up mention of Krown.

You can get a 14oz can for about $10 according to their site.

Name:  new-corrosionx.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  24.2 KB

CorrosionX is another that I found. It seems their CorrosionX is be more of the cavity or creeping type preventatives. CorrosionX Heavy Duty is a thicker type underbody preventative. They also have products for shooting out of an air powered spray gun.

I'll be adding more as I come across them. There are plenty of others around.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

anog (04-20-2016),Eggman (04-20-2016),mitsumi (04-23-2016),spork (04-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Here is a link to Krown's product. It used to be called T40, but it's just called "rust protection" now...

Krown Rust Protection Aerosol Can

I'm not sure what's in the product itself, but I know it doesn't have an odor and doesn't contain any solvents.

I just had a full Krown treatment done to my Mirage last week. It was done at Go Krown in Versailles, Ohio. This may be the only Krown dealer in the mid-west. I need to create a new thread describing the process.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-28-2019 at 02:22 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Clear packaging tape . Keeps rust from coming back after using touch up paint . Air is its necessity . Has held off rocker panel rust throughout the year . Before it would rust from underneath and had to use the tip of a sewing needle to remove rust and paint and reapply paint . Cheaper than a body shop . Can't hardly notice it at a distance . I think a large rock put a deep chip in it . Heard it ! Use the tape and paint on hood chips that rust as well . Ain't pretty , but it contains it .
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by cinder; 04-21-2016 at 05:13 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cinder For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (04-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just watched this on MOTORWEEK on P.B.S. this past Saturday . GOSS' GARAGE talked of the removable spray on paint to elude rust , paint chips , .etc.. RAAIL and DUPLI-COLOR removable paint that peels off . Go here https://youtu.be/WU-jyEXInpA / Here are their sites http://duplicolor.com/product/custom...emovable-paint and http://raail.com/?gclid=CLT0oKrYnswCFUgkhgodNSoNdw .
    Last edited by cinder; 04-21-2016 at 02:37 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was actually looking into Krown and it sounded pretty great, until I realized there is absolutely no one in this area that applies it. We have Ziebart around here, but Krown sounds like a better product. Good to know I can buy it myself in the aerosol cans.

I don't think covering my car in clear packaging tape is a good idea LOL. I think I am really looking for something more like a clear/translucent spray product that can be applied to all areas on the underbody of my car, as well as something that can fill cavities all over, so paint-like products won't do. I've never owned a new car to do this to before. I was going to follow the guide that recommended rubberized undercoating for the wheel well areas, but I did some research and many people say that water can get trapped under the rubber and actually accelerate rust.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I need to create a new thread describing the process.
    Yes, please. I would like to know how much they charged and what you think about their work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Krown is a Canadian product. Its widely available there but for whatever reason isn't sold in the US.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    Clear packaging tape . Keeps rust from coming back after using touch up paint . Air is its necessity . Has held off rocker panel rust throughout the year . Before it would rust from underneath and had to use the tip of a sewing needle to remove rust and paint and reapply paint . Cheaper than a body shop . Can't hardly notice it at a distance . I think a large rock put a deep chip in it . Heard it ! Use the tape and paint on hood chips that rust as well . Ain't pretty , but it contains it .
    Sir what car is it/ color, I like it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    LPS has some rust protection offerings:

LPS 3ŪPremier Rust Inhibitor

Features

• Safe on all metals
    • Safe to use on rubber, fabric, plastics, and paints
    • Self-healing, soft, waxy film
    • Provides non-sling lubrication
    • Prevents rust and corrosion
    • Protects for up to 2 years indoors

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-23-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cleartec , it's a 2011 Celestial Blue Honda Fit base model with a 5 speed auto . I think the color was only for that year in the U.S.. Thanks .

Attached Images Attached Images