Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Sizes - what does the Mirage come with?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    Nice. Good to know. I plant to put polk audio mm series in the hot hatchy, 6.5 componemt front and 6.5 coaxial in the rear, with a 12 sub in the back. I didnt want to upgrade the headunit as its actually kinda nice but im guessing it doesnt have the range of output frequency wise id want.... deh 80prs again i guess lol
    We had gone with Pioneer TS-A1685 which were top rated in top10 reviews, here is the link http://car-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com/mobile/

I have component version of TSA in other car and it has much better definition. TSAs have good bottom 35Hz and anything above 40-45 is very flat and accurate we ran them against $300 canset. 12" maybe overkill for car that small? Stock HU radio is bad, but USB is good and much louder.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    We had gone with Pioneer TS-A1685 which were top rated in top10 reviews, here is the link http://car-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com/mobile/

I have component version of TSA in other car and it has much better definition. TSAs have good bottom 35Hz and anything above 40-45 is very flat and accurate we ran them against $300 canset. 12" maybe overkill for car that small? Stock HU radio is bad, but USB is good and much louder.
    I been using polk for years, they have a very natural response curve to them which I prefer in my musical tastes. Infinity is too tinny and bright, I find pioneer to be too mellow and "brown" sounding. Everyone has their tastes :P

However, with my whole black car and gold accents, I was actually thinking about trying precision power as their high end gear have really good specs on them and are gold (more like copper but still)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Would be interested to hear about more brands and models that people have paired up with the stock Mitsubishi head unit and no amp

and also KICKER 43CSC654 versus Pioneer TS-A1685 (since they are priced so close)
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Would be interested to hear about more brands and models that people have paired up with the stock Mitsubishi head unit and no amp

and also KICKER 43CSC654 versus Pioneer TS-A1685 (since they are priced so close)
    The headunit max is only going to output about 15 watts. So what you want is HIGH SENSITIVITY speakers that have a 30-50 watt range. For example the kenwood kfc-1665s which is a 6.5" speaker, 30 watts RMS, and 91db sensitivity. They would sound relatively good with the stock head-unit.

When you start snagging speakers that have a higher RMS, they wont sound AS GOOD at 15watts as they would at say the full 50 watts. Higher watt speaker sound better at higher volumes.

HOWEVER, you COULD run them at their lower RMS range, as long as the lower end of the RMS is around 15 watts (I've seen some speakers that absolutely require a minimum power of 30 watts or else they dont work right, but they are few and far between).

Me personally, if I am looking for balls loud not caring about overall sound quality, I will usually go kicker. If I want more sound quality and a smooth neutral response I go polk audio. If you want a more muddy laid back "brown" sounding speaker, pioneer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, I wish I had known this sooner.

I am eventually planning to upgrade the head unit so I was trying to choose speakers that would sound good for the time being but that also would be functional with a better, more powerful head unit in the future.

Not planning to use an amplifier at all. Dont need the music that loud and I dont want to give the Mitsu dealer any excuse to reject a warranty claim in the future based on when they see an amplifier hooked up to the car battery I have heard cases (not Mitsu) where dealers have rejected warranty coverage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How do you feel these will work with the factory head unit (considering the RMS)?
    Name:  5poq.png
Views: 1960
Size:  55.0 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How do you feel these will work with the factory head unit (considering the RMS)?
    Name:  5poq.png
Views: 1960
Size:  55.0 KB
    if you aren't going to use an amp, those speakers will never shine. On that note warrenty wise, if something goes wrong they have to prove it was the amps fault. An amp can never cause damage if installed correctly. If anything, the amp will blow up and everything else will be fine. I amped mine and mitsubishi didnt say **** but its common practice here to upgrade audio.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Darn. That really is bad news. There are no returns/refunds so I am stuck with the speakers. I should have done more research before purchasing.

Are the KFC-1666S okay? I see them on sale

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Darn. That really is bad news. There are no returns/refunds so I am stuck with the speakers. I should have done more research before purchasing.

Are the KFC-1666S okay? I see them on sale
    just get an aftermarket headunit. one of the sonys has a 50w rms x4 amp built in. that doesnt break warrenty either

12. The Following User Says Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Don't fret - try them. I think they'll work fine and sound better. You can worry about More Power some other time. For now you got some good speakers at a good price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-13-2018)