Thread: Aerodynamic wheel spats & Mirage

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Aerodynamic wheel spats & Mirage

Hi!

Was looking at my Mirage and notice it's got some nice wheel spats to direct airflow. Nice touch but I have some questions. The spat only spans till halfway (somewhere in the middle of the tire). Is this the best for aero or is there a better way?

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 3625
Size:  95.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the spats on my other cars are similar, even the ones on my Prius don't extend the full width of the tire I don't think.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Keep in mind that the air flowing toward the exposed forward part of the front tires isn't necessarily coming from straight ahead. The shape of the front of the car influences air flow hitting the tires, causing it to flow outward & down as well.

The placement of the spats is quite precise. Volvo did testing that showed the location, size & angle of front wheel spats on one of their cars was very sensitive. Make the spats too large, or placed in the wrong spot, and they aren't nearly as effective.

See the table of testing/results here:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=2456

See also:

Thread: Aerodynamics of the new Mirage (.27-.31 drag coefficient varies with options)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Avgjohndoe (01-19-2021)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Wow! The article looks awesome!

Makes me wanna try it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    I just took a look at the bottom of the Mirage and it seems that it is already pretty clean. Not much gains to be had there..