Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol and gas mileage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    Well your numbers speek for them selves. But coasting costs fuel. gear coasts costs none fuel. maybe in neutral you can let the gas off sooner?
    Coasting in neutral allows you to coast a LOT farther than coasting in gear though.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2017),Fummins (03-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry to raise this thread from the dead but there was no clear answer here. I've got more stations in my area that are now offering ethanol free gas. In my Miata which was designed to run without it even the 87 octane gives me better results on mileage and performance. However the Mirage should have been assembled with the expectation of running ethanol so I am wondering if I should stick with the regular mix or not. Would running the occasional tank of ethanol free help burn trash out of the engine or just foul it some for not being what it was meant to run on?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Sorry to raise this thread from the dead but there was no clear answer here. I've got more stations in my area that are now offering ethanol free gas. In my Miata which was designed to run without it even the 87 octane gives me better results on mileage and performance. However the Mirage should have been assembled with the expectation of running ethanol so I am wondering if I should stick with the regular mix or not. Would running the occasional tank of ethanol free help burn trash out of the engine or just foul it some for not being what it was meant to run on?
    It doesn't seem to make any difference. Members have tried ethanol free premium with no increase in mileage that would support the extra cost. Unless someone can point to their fuel log and show They were consistently getting xxx mpg with 10% ethanol and xxx without I'd buy whichever is cheapest from a reputable retailer. On the other hand, there is a difference between winter grade fuels and summer grade fuels in certain markets. But you can't avoid those regardless of octane/ethanol % etc..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    ...I've got more stations in my area that are now offering ethanol free gas.
    Just out of curiosity, what's the price difference between gallon of 10% ethanol-blend and a gallon of 100% gasoline? I'd like to run my car on ethanol-free fuel for a while, but I can't find 100% gasoline around here with a search warrant.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what's the price difference between gallon of 10% ethanol-blend and a gallon of 100% gasoline? I'd like to run my car on ethanol-free fuel for a while, but I can't find 100% gasoline around here with a search warrant.
    About forty cents more which is the same as ultimate with the ethanol. There's one place that only sells ethanol free but it averages sixty cents more on the 87 octane and forty cents more per grade higher. So ultimate there runs $1.40 more than it does with ethanol.

You may not have to search for to much longer. Part of trumps anti-EPA stuff is to get rid of ethanol and go back to cars with more horsepower. Fuel economy or environment be damned. I wouldn't mind the classic car designation for import/export being dropped to 15 years though.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Remy For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2017),Top_Fuel (11-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My regular station, E0 is $2.40 (91 octane) E10 $1.90 (87), E15 $1.80(88), & E85 $1.65. When I could get 87 E0 I lost 2-3% fuel economy using E10, price difference used to be 10%. The FE difference between E10 & E15 has been tiny.

July I ran E10 for the month got 41.168 mpg over 3000 miles , August I used E15 and averaged 42.15 over 2200. (09 Cobalt xfe)

Newer Chevy FFV trucks make more HP on E85 than regular.

A year or two ago the Oil Companies in this area changed the base blend stock from 87 octane to 85 octane, 10% ethanol brings it up to 87 the minimum allowable, or they have to blend in premium to bring it up making the price unattractive. Ethanol isn't going anywhere it is a cost effective octane booster.

Read a story the other day about distributing ethanol thru pipe lines. The problem is it cleans the gunk and water out of the pipe line ruining the ethanol, water settles in the low spots in the pipe and the gasoline just goes over top. Ethanol likes to bond with water so it picks it up, effectively cleaning the pipe line, if you translate that to a car it might be best to run ethanol occasionally even if you have access to E0 to get in water out of the tank that might be building up.

I run E15 because it's cheaper per mile.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to roosterk0031 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-18-2016)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Besides the gas saving aspect of turning off the compressor, Are you saying that it also extends the life of the AC in general? And lastly, if you hit AUTO after the intial deactivation does it resort back original settings?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Besides the gas saving aspect of turning off the compressor, Are you saying that it also extends the life of the AC in general?
    Generally, yes. If you use something less, it doesn't tend to wear out quite as quickly. That is, unless I misunderstand what you are asking here.

And lastly, if you hit AUTO after the intial deactivation does it resort back original settings?
    No. Once you turn off automatic AC mode, it only turns on when the air conditioning switch is used or during defrost operation.

You can learn more about it in my post in this thread or in your Owner's Manual. If you don't have a copy of your Owner's Manual, one can be downloaded from Mitsubishi.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    How come you didnt want the compressor running all the time? Im curious.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How come you didnt want the compressor running all the time? Im curious.
    It's a load on the engine and will help with premature wear. A/C takes a toll on the 1.2l.

(blank signature)