Thread: Wiper arm removal?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wiper arm removal?

I was going to delete the passenger wiper arm and replace it with a second driver's side to get it out of the wind.......but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the arm. The 14mm nut came off easy enough but it's still secured tight and I don't want to pull any harder than I have. Is that all I have to do to remove the arm?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is gonna sound odd, but punch it. I've seen our glass guy just hammer a fist down along the arm away from where the nut secures and it just comes free. He had literally done so after I spent a while with a block of wood and a prybar trying to get one off.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRage For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-05-2016),Wubbalubbadubdub (05-05-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Careful. I cracked a windshield glass trying to get a wiper arm off a Golf. Boy, that got my blood a boilin.

That being said, it might be worth applying an anti-sieze while the arm is off the spindle. It might come in handy some day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The wiper arms are usually press-fit onto a splined conical hub, and the nut just keeps them on. I can always get them off with some careful wiggling.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
    This is gonna sound odd, but punch it. I've seen our glass guy just hammer a fist down along the arm away from where the nut secures and it just comes free. He had literally done so after I spent a while with a block of wood and a prybar trying to get one off.
    I didn't punch it but I hit it with an open hand about 3 or 4 times and it worked! I did stick a couple pieces of cardboard under so I didn't break the glass on accident.

I've taken quite a few wiper arms off and I've never had one stuck this bad.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wubbalubbadubdub View Post
    I didn't punch it but I hit it with an open hand about 3 or 4 times and it worked! I did stick a couple pieces of cardboard under so I didn't break the glass on accident.

I've taken quite a few wiper arms off and I've never had one stuck this bad.
    See! And yeah the cautious approach was very smart, glad it worked out. I'm not sure what it is that makes them bind up so bad but I'll ask our glass guy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Something similar to this is very handy...http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-4...FQkwaQodtBkObQ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to flatbroke For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-05-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    Something similar to this is very handy...http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-4...FQkwaQodtBkObQ
    They list several: Tooltopia search: all products matching "wiper arm"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)