Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan to take control of Mitsubishi following fuel economy scandal

And then Mitsu can sell the new Galant to Chrysler as the new 200! Double re-badge!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

GrnBn (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    And then Mitsu can sell the new Galant to Chrysler as the new 200! Double re-badge!
    That could work. FCA is looking for someone to make the 200 for them and Mitsubishi has a plant in Illinois that they can not sell. That would be a quick way for Nissan to have a return on its investment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
    Do you think we'll see a performance car platform between the two in the future?
    This is also funny to me because before Mitsu was trying to partner with Peugeot (or Citroen PSA) who is a rival of Renault who owns Nissan. They never made any ties aside from factories they share in Russia, and sharing the I-MIEV and rebadging it for PSA. But with the full integration of the companies, they'll share all of their technologies for the first time. NMKV gets tech sources from each but doesn't really "compare notes" between the two. With Mitsubishi and Nissan's tech in AWD and traction control I'd love to see something crazy in a few years. Not to mention their transmission tech.
    I personally am hoping the performance car side of the auto industry dies out as autonomous driving begins to move to the forefront. Everyone thinks they can handle tons of horsepower on a light chassis and almost nobody can. Now Nissan's electric technology ? That's cool...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to flatbroke For This Useful Post:

tomrad (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Do you think we'll see a performance car platform between the two in the future?
    It already has a high-performance car. The Mirage has the best fuel economy of any non-hybrid in the US market.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    I personally am hoping the performance car side of the auto industry dies out as autonomous driving begins to move to the forefront.
    This makes me cringe really. Now I will agree with you, someone with enough money could get something too powerful for them and mess around and mess up. I almost feel like you should go through an advanced driver's course to better control a more powerful car, but that won't be happening. Autonomous cars are the most boring thing in the world to me. A huge part of driving is the freedom it gives you to go where you want to and pilot your own machine. There is an entire gigantic culture around automobiles and the love for driving. I know personally I would not let a computer make driving decisions for me. And setting a GPS and taking a nap in my car while it takes me there is absolute last thing I ever want to happen. This is just my opinion of course.

Now, I do like the idea of alternative fuel sources. We are clearly going to run out of petrol, and I want to see something more ingenuitive than biodiesel or EV. EV's are nice, but not nearly as efficient of a machine for most driving accommodations. Performance vehicles are a marvel in engineering, and I have the deepest love for them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRage For This Useful Post:

GrnBn (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This makes me cringe really. Now I will agree with you, someone with enough money could get something too powerful for them and mess around and mess up. I almost feel like you should go through an advanced driver's course to better control a more powerful car, but that won't be happening. Autonomous cars are the most boring thing in the world to me. A huge part of driving is the freedom it gives you to go where you want to and pilot your own machine. There is an entire gigantic culture around automobiles and the love for driving. I know personally I would not let a computer make driving decisions for me. And setting a GPS and taking a nap in my car while it takes me there is absolute last thing I ever want to happen. This is just my opinion of course.

Now, I do like the idea of alternative fuel sources. We are clearly going to run out of petrol, and I want to see something more ingenuitive than biodiesel or EV. EV's are nice, but not nearly as efficient of a machine for most driving accommodations. Performance vehicles are a marvel in engineering, and I have the deepest love for them.
    I think that they will have a hard time selling autonomous cars for a while. Personally, I think that they would be good for the elderly, disabled or people who do not care to drive. But for me and almost everyone that I know, there is no way that I would want a car to drive me around. I love cars way too much to not drive myself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now I will agree with you, someone with enough money could get something too powerful for them and mess around and mess up.
    This happened in front of my house not long ago. Some so-and-so plowed into a parked car the next house over. The parked car wound up in my front yard and the Mercedes E-class wound up on it's roof pointing the wrong direction. Ick. I told the owner of the parked car that was hit that he couldn't park on my grass. We laughed.

A huge part of driving is the freedom it gives you to go where you want to and pilot your own machine. There is an entire gigantic culture around automobiles and the love for driving.
    *That's* American.

I know personally I would not let a computer make driving decisions for me.
    Insurance companies and statistics might have an influence on this...

Preach on! What about hydrogen?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But wait! - there's more:

Nissan buying $2.2 billion controlling stake in scandal-hit Mitsubishi Motors

Some timbits:

Quote Originally Posted by Reuters Business | Thu May 12, 2016 11:20am EDT | Nissan buying $2.2 billion controlling stake in scandal-hit Mitsubishi Motors | YOKOHAMA, Japan | By Maki Shiraki and Naomi Tajitsu
    Nissan Motor Co has agreed to buy a 34 percent stake in Mitsubishi Motors Corp, taking de facto control with a $2.2 billion bet that bails out its smaller, scandal-hit rival.

Mitsubishi and Nissan already cooperate on development and manufacturing with a partnership dating back to 2011, but that deal does not currently involve any cross-shareholding.

Under Thursday's deal, Mitsubishi Motors will issue new shares to Nissan at a 5.3 percent discount to Wednesday's close, raising 237.4 billion yen ($2.18 billion).

That will hand Nissan just over a third of the group - enough to wield control, under Japanese shareholding rules.

Nissan will be able to nominate a third of Mitsubishi Motors' board, which Ghosn said he believed would be led by a Nissan executive - prompting industry analysts and bankers to forecast a significant reshuffle at the top.

Mitsubishi Motors shares were untraded before closing up 16 percent at the daily limit. Nissan shares closed down 1.4 percent.

Alliance partner Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi have combined sales of about 9.3 million vehicles, approaching those of industry leaders Toyota and Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE).

"We have the potential to be in top three," Ghosn said.
    Looks like it's a done deal.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

RedRage (05-12-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This happened in front of my house not long ago. Some so-and-so plowed into a parked car the next house over. The parked car wound up in my front yard and the Mercedes E-class wound up on it's roof pointing the wrong direction. Ick. I told the owner of the parked car that was hit that he couldn't park on my grass. We laughed.

*That's* American.

Insurance companies and statistics might have an influence on this...

Preach on! What about hydrogen?

What about a new i-MiEV successor using Nissan and Mitsubishi EV tech?!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

flatbroke (05-13-2016),RapidRick (05-14-2016),RedRage (05-13-2016)